3 on the tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 68 Chevelle with the 307 and 3 on the tree. Sad, sad combination. I then let Chrysler stick me with a 71 Valiant with an AT. Last AT I ever owned.

I know what the term means, and I'm only 27.
Infact, I drove a 1942 Dodge Businessman's Coupe with 3 on the tree last week. Grandpa sold it, and I only had one last chance to take it around the neighborhood. So I did. Scary to drive I'll tell you that. (I've driven older cars before, but this was my first experience driving a '40's car. Alot different than my dad's '65 GTO) The shifter felt weird. Power was good from the Dodge 216 flat head straight 6, but the brakes were terrible. (What do you expect from 4 wheel drum, Non Power)
On a side note, early Land-Cruiser's were 3 on the tree, not 4 on the tree. We had a '63 FJ-40 in the showroom at the Toyota dealer I use to work at. All original too. Nice truck.

Last edited:
I've driven quite a few and I owned a 68 Chevy C-10 pickup with a 327 and a 3 0n the tree when I was 19. The truck was already 21 years old then and pretty beat up though.

Last edited:
My '57 and '67 Belvederes are both 3 on the tree. My wife's uncle has a '66 Mercedes with the 4 on the tree.

I got a kick out of when Detroit move the column shift to a console shift back in the 70s. It simplified design and manufacturing, yet the automakers marketed it as a "sport" option and charged more for this feature.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I've heard that they were fairly hard to drive. Or, at least, they were hard to get accustomed to.
Actully very simple. To me anyway but I'm the guy that has the 2 stick Peterbilt
lol.gif

Pop's 40 ford flathead v8 has this... no synchro in 1st either so one either has to go half into 2nd, double clutch, or do other tricks to keep from grinding. Could use taller gearing even at 45 MPH, Columbia Overdrive rear end practically invented for this car. Also, apparantly, the transmission splines were such that you could double stack the three speed trannies and get 9 speeds, good for an improvised farm buggy or whatever.

My first car, a 1971 Nova, was a 3-on-the-tree. I drove the tar out of that thing for several years.

Several years ago, I was working at a construction site and the company had a work truck parked there for use as needed, light hauling, etc. It was a beater 80s Ford F150. One day the guys needed it moved because it was in the way, or something like that. No one could figure out how to drive it because it was a 3-speed! It had been some years since I'd had my Nova but I volunteered and impressed all those burly construction types by moving it with no problem.

Everything I owned had column shifters until the mid 60's. Even owned a 1958 Simca which had 4 on the tree.....

Mid 60's had 2 cars with 4 on the floor.. Now, all are autos, including my turbo minivan.

Well, not all, I also own 2 5 speed Omnis, 1 N/A and 1 turbo.

Originally Posted By: labman
I had a 68 Chevelle with the 307 and 3 on the tree. Sad, sad combination. I then let Chrysler stick me with a 71 Valiant with an AT. Last AT I ever owned.

Labman, I thought the Torqueflights in that Valiant were the best in the business. And the Valiant was way better than the immediate competition, Ford Falcon and Chevrolet Corvair.

The Falcon 144 ci engine was short lived and had huge valve guide and seal issues. The front shock towers cracked completely out and occasionally ruined the hood as they collapsed!
Boy, would that be a recall these days!

The Corvair had swing axles, oil leaks, heater exchanger exhaust leaks into the heater and many more issues.... but a fun to drive factor.

The Valiant had the famous slant six and a decent transmission - although I too never bought an automatic if a choice was available. It even made consumer reports recommended list for low frequency of repairs....although rust was an issue.

Heck, I always wanted one.... what went wrong??

My Dad's 1965 Chev 1/2 ton had a 3 in the tree with no synchro (the horror!). They must have used a decent hardened steel for those gears.

Originally Posted By: fsskier
Originally Posted By: labman

Labman, I thought the Torqueflights in that Valiant were the best in the business. And the Valiant was way better than the immediate competition, Ford Falcon and Chevrolet Corvair.

The Falcon 144 ci engine was short lived and had huge valve guide and seal issues. The front shock towers cracked completely out and occasionally ruined the hood as they collapsed!
Boy, would that be a recall these days!

The Corvair had swing axles, oil leaks, heater exchanger exhaust leaks into the heater and many more issues.... but a fun to drive factor.

The Valiant had the famous slant six and a decent transmission - although I too never bought an automatic if a choice was available. It even made consumer reports recommended list for low frequency of repairs....although rust was an issue.

Heck, I always wanted one.... what went wrong??

In the 1970's, the competition for the Valiant was the Chevy Nova and Ford Maverick, not the Corvair or Falcon. Both of these were very convnetional cars, and they were all similarly fairly reliable.

The second car I ever owned was a white Delta 88 2 door, with a black ragtop, 455 2bbl., and a three on the tree trans.

That thing was a BEAST (NO power steering!!!!!!!
crazy2.gif
and no air).

It was fun in a torquey sort of way, and a GREAT cruiser with the top down in the spring/summer.
wink.gif

plenty of 3 on tree. 51 and 53 Fords, a 49 GMC panel, a 57 Chevy, a 59 Ford, a 54 International. Good reliable, no frills transport.

[/quote]

In the 1970's, the competition for the Valiant was the Chevy Nova and Ford Maverick, not the Corvair or Falcon. Both of these were very convnetional cars, and they were all similarly fairly reliable.[/quote]

OOOOOOPs, addyguy, I got too busy typing and should have stopped and reviewed the year again!!! Valiants first came out in 1960, and that of course was the time I was thinking about. Yes, the post clearly says the 70's, doggone I should have paid more attention!

Last edited:
Yeah, the true GM 3 speed had no synchro 1st. If it was synchronized it was a Muncie (or was it Saginaw?) or a Ford (top loader, iirc).

My grandparents had a mid 60's Chevy Biscayne wagon with a 283 V8 with a 3 on the tree, and an aftermarket overdrive behind the transmission. Fun car, and simple to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back