How long will a box of wine last after I start...

Status
Not open for further replies.
consuming it? The box says 5 weeks but I wanna stretch that out a bit.

Anybody here drink wine from a box? And if you don't drink at all there's really no need to post on this topic is is there?

Reason I'm asking is I got a box of an Australian Merlot in January and I'm so slow to finish it like two glasses every two weeks so far...I'm hoping I can stretch that out a bit...

Banrock Station Merlot from 2007

I never refrigerated it and it is about a month old right now and I really need to get drinking if I only have a week left it's about half full! Oh yeah it's a 3 liter box so if that matters.....

Once you open it, REFRIGERATE to preserve the flavor and freshness. But it doesn't last long. 2 weeks tops and then it's
37.gif

Personally, box wine is just awful. Cheap and ok wines like Opici, Villa Armando, Carlo Rossi are better IMO and stay fresh way longer.

Last edited:
It will actually last quite a long time because no air gets in and the flavor doesn’t change from first glass to last and it’s never corked.
Refrigerate red wine? Cliffs --> not a red wine drinker.
I recently started drinking boxed Cabernet Sauvignon for my daily booze intake; it was getting too expensive to buy bottles. Clearly there are better wines out there but for bang for the buck, it can’t be beat.
You get the equivalent of 4 bottles for $20 and boxed is certainly better than the $5 bottles.

I'll come help. The hype on the boxes I have had lately point out they don't set with air in the package. I see little difference between the full box that may have set around for months between filling and purchase and a half full box setting around after purchase. Does the box have a sell by date on it?

I currently have a jug on hand that lacks one. I will buy the box if they are in stock, but last time nothing but jugs of the plonk. As far as the environment goes, the box, plastic liner and all, may consume fewer resources than the glass jugs with their outlandish energy consumption. We certainly have greater reserves of land for landfills than oil and gas. some doy we will got smart and incinerate out trash like the rest of the world. We do recycle the outer cardboard.

I like a little beer or wine at bed time going with the seasons. I often leave some of one or the other set over the winter or summer. I am sure I have let a part full box of wine for months before finishing it and not noticing a problem.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I've drank 6 month old boxed wine and I'm still here.

+1 We've had boxes for 6 months unrefridgerated, tasted the same to me. My wife uses it for cooking and its far better than a bottle of "cooking" wine. As long as the bag is sealed nothing changes if you pour some out or not.

Many people have strong negative memories about box wine.

Low-end wine has gotten much, much better with the glut of good grapes a few years ago and much higher standards in California wine over the past two decades, thanks in part to UC Davis.

It's about to get even better with the current California harvest. Both the quantity and quality were exceptional, but demand is down and the cellars are full. Lower quality grapes that used to go into low-end wine aren't even worth picking. So for a few years the stuff in the boxes will be middle-range wines that the market won't absorb.

"When decanting wine out of the box, make sure that you tilt the dixie cup and pour slowly so as not to bruise the fruit of the vine."

If it tastes good to you, it's OK to drink. It will taste bad long before it's a health problem.

Franzia claims 6 weeks for theirs. It will vary a lot depending on type of wine and storage conditions. Keeping it in the fridge will extend it's life, but it may not make a difference that matters.

Don't let the pseudo wine snobs discourage you. If you like it it's good wine.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Pablo will be able to help. I think he switched to boxed wine last year or so.

Yes I know Pablo will be able to help he's become sort of a Sage on this site...one of Bitog's Sages...I feel better now about my wine...I'm on my second glass and was getting worried I was gonna have to finish it in one week.

Wow Australia makes really really lovely delicous drinkable wine! Im no wine expert(I am a beer expert, at least I like to think so) but this is the one of the better wines I have ever tasted.

I was always a Cabernet drinker whenever a T-bone was on the menu and thought Merlot was for when women were gonna be drinking too but I'm getting older and the bite of Cabernet just isn't as appealing without beef...

I work 1130 PM to 730 AM and when I get home sometimes I like a beer(ONE BEER!) and I thought I'd try one glass of wine instead for the reservatol.

Wow this Australian wine is nice! Quite better than most el cheapo stateside wines I have tried in the past. I will have to revisit them now that I know about UC R&D upgrading the California grape strains.

Cheers!!!! And Thanks!
25.gif

Originally Posted By: XS650
"When decanting wine out of the box, make sure that you tilt the dixie cup and pour slowly so as not to bruise the fruit of the vine."

If it tastes good to you, it's OK to drink. It will taste bad long before it's a health problem.

Franzia claims 6 weeks for theirs. It will vary a lot depending on type of wine and storage conditions. Keeping it in the fridge will extend it's life, but it may not make a difference that matters.

Would you please recommend a good California Boxed Wine? I have a huge selection and I went to the OZ selection cause I had never had it before.

And is Yellowtail from OZ any good? I have a huge selection of Yellowtail wines at my local supermarket.

Should be fine as long as air is kept out. I am not a wine snob but my wife and I do have a good handle on what we like. IF I see a pinot noir in a box I will try it. I haven't found a wine from the southern hemisphere that is as pleasing as French and california wines, although they were not bad. Just a personal preference.
As has been mentioned, there has never been a better time to be a wine drinker.

LOL!!!! Where is this quote from?

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Back in the day this would not have been a problem. Me and a couple of friends would have polished that off in a few hours.
grin2.gif

The older I get(I turned 30 in November) the less friends I have...Ah well I have virtual friends here on BITOG...and other places...namely on PSN.

Yah...I love the term "Back in the day" I just kills me. Just hearing that term makes me reflect way way to far back! Ah Nostalgia(and good Merlot)...

We used to knock down jugs of Carlo by passing them around between three or four guys till it was gone. Maybe 15 minutes from the time the cap got twisted.

I've kept and drank box wine unrefrigerated for a few months without issue. Keep the air out of the bag and make sure it stays at a decent temperature.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
We used to knock down jugs of Carlo by passing them around between three or four guys till it was gone. Maybe 15 minutes from the time the cap got twisted.

I've kept and drank box wine unrefrigerated for a few months without issue. Keep the air out of the bag and make sure it stays at a decent temperature.

How do you keep air out of the bag? I don't follow am I supposed to open the box and roll the bag like I do Doritos and then get a chip clip?

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
How do you keep air out of the bag? I don't follow am I supposed to open the box and roll the bag like I do Doritos and then get a chip clip?

The boxed wines come with a valve. All you do is put it on the shelf and either twist or push the valve. No air gets in/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back