03 Hyundai Elantra MT Requires GL4 Gear Oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a hard time finding a GL4 application for my car, and was wondering if anyone can recommend me gear oil for my MT? I can only find API GL5 oil, but I've been told by a Hyundai tech that using multiple application gear oils can wear out the brass synchros. Is there anything I can buy at the auto parts store that I've missed or are Amsoil or Redline the only alternatives? Thanks.

Last edited:
GL-5 will corrode the syncros and trash your tranny. The best is redline GL-4 MTL product i think amsoil has simular product i've used them in various cars always works wonders.... u can buy some offbrand GL-4 but the amsoil redline products are the absolute best to OE products and they're dirt cheap

Originally Posted By: Dieseldoctor
GL-5 will corrode the syncros and trash your tranny. The best is redline GL-4 MTL product i think amsoil has simular product i've used them in various cars always works wonders.... u can buy some offbrand GL-4 but the amsoil redline products are the absolute best to OE products and they're dirt cheap

The only thing I could find was the Royal Purple gear oil, but It's $18.99/qt and overpriced, imo. But I've also been told that RP doesn't work very well for my application. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
you can try the Ford Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid, but it might be too expensive for you if you think the RP stuff is overpriced.

I felt it was overpriced because I'm on a budget, but I've seen Redline MT oil go fo 10.99/qt online, unless it went up? And that it's much better than RP. I honestly haven't used either, but they are things that I've been told.

Can I find the ford MT oil at pepboys, autozone, or even walmart?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
no its dealer only.
I forgot to ask, how much is it approx. per qt? Is it for GL4 applications though? Thanks. I'm new at this, as you can tell. I appreciate the advice. So keep it coming and I don't mind learning something new.

If you're lucky, you might be able to find the Pennzoil 75w90 GL4 gear oil.

Nissan, Kia, & Hyundai dealers have a GL4 75w85 manual fluid which they are using in place of the 90wt gear oils.

Redline MT90 or Amsoil MTG can be used but you pay a little more for the best fluids.

And, some of the local autoparts stores have the 85w90 crc, statlube, or coastal gear oils.

I've used GL4 marine gear oil for plenty of years in several transmissions. So, you local marine supply might have some bottles of various GL4 lower end lubes.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
If you're lucky, you might be able to find the Pennzoil 75w90 GL4 gear oil.

Nissan, Kia, & Hyundai dealers have a GL4 75w85 manual fluid which they are using in place of the 90wt gear oils.

Redline MT90 or Amsoil MTG can be used but you pay a little more for the best fluids.

And, some of the local autoparts stores have the 85w90 crc, statlube, or coastal gear oils.

I've used GL4 marine gear oil for plenty of years in several transmissions. So, you local marine supply might have some bottles of various GL4 lower end lubes.

Thanks! Oh I did buy the Coastal brand before, but it was a combo GL4 & GL5 app. I only used it to replace the 1/2qt that spilled when I took the axle out to replace the control arm on my vehicle. But again, I can't use it at full because It can "trash" my MT. I don't know why it is difficult to find a GL4 only app. at the auto-parts store, why is that? Thanks.

Demand is low. Most people do not service their manual trans units and when they do, most are now calling for ATF. Plus, not so many manual trans on the road these days. All factors.

Amsoil or Redline make great synthetic manual trans lubes.
Pennzoil Synchromesh can also be used, if the viscosity is OK for you, but it is a dino.

These are designed for good shifting and wear, with minimal or no brass corrosion.

But simply being designated GL4 is not yellow metal safe. It has about 1/2 of the synchro eating stuff that GL5 does. Gl4 does not mean it is void of any possible corrosion causing sulfur.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

Pennzoil Synchromesh can also be used, if the viscosity is OK for you, but it is a dino.

These are designed for good shifting and wear, with minimal or no brass corrosion.

But simply being designated GL4 is not yellow metal safe. It has about 1/2 of the synchro eating stuff that GL5 does. Gl4 does not mean it is void of any possible corrosion causing sulfur.

I went to the Pennzoil website and saw that the Synchromesh formulation is compatible with yellow metals, my question is what viscosity is it? Doesn't say on the site. My MT can use a 75w90 or 80w90...Thanks.

There used to be a Napa store near where I live, but it closed down. But it wouldn't hurt to look if they reopened somewhere else.

I was reading at another forum that that combining Synchromesh (1qt) with 2qts of 80w90 Coastal gear oil works in transaxles requiring GL4 gear oil. Can anyone vouch for that or recommend that?

Or is it just better to use the Lucas Transmission Fix along with the gear oil?

buy something syn.. will shift alot better. esp cold.

redline MTL, MT-90,

ford syn

etc

I had both the ford syn and redline in my focus MT and they were both excellent.

Last edited:
Tomcat - According to your specs, the PS would be a little too thin.
It may actually work better, but it is too thin according to the specs.

Inside the manual book, it was stated that MTF 75W/85W (API GL-4 is required. Will the PS still be too thin?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back