Redline Car vs Motorcycle Oil ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if there is a noticeable different in Redline's car and mc-specific oil? Does anyone use their 20w50 car oil?

This would be for use in a HD Big Twin sump (not shared).

Good question and I'm sure there is a difference of some sort. I use the Redline motorcycle oil in my TC88's and am happy. I've been using the 20W/60 because I was given a case, but when that is gone I will be using the 20W/50.

MC oil has frictioners in it made specifically for the wet clutches found in most MCs. Car oil doesn't have this and can cause clutch slippage when used in a MC (if said MC is equipped with a wet clutch).

Originally Posted By: bamorris2
Does anyone know if there is a noticeable different in Redline's car and mc-specific oil? Does anyone use their 20w50 car oil?

Some info from the Redline website...

Their car oil 20W-50 is slightly thicker than their 20W-50 motorcycle oil. It is SM rated so it probably does not contain more than 1000 ppm zinc/phosporus.

Their motorcycle oil has a LOT of zinc/phosporus (.25%/.21% by weight)

The motorcycle oil has 500 ppm moly. This is not listed for their 20W-50 car oil.

The motorcycle oil is $3/quart more than the car oil.

The car oil lists "Recommended for API SM/SL/SJ/SH/SG/CF and ACEA A3"
There are no listed specifications for the motorcycle-specific oil

21.gif

I don't know of anyone around here that uses their automotive 20W-50 but there are many that like the motorcycle-specific Redline 20W-50.

Originally Posted By: grampi
MC oil has frictioners in it made specifically for the wet clutches found in most MCs. Car oil doesn't have this and can cause clutch slippage when used in a MC (if said MC is equipped with a wet clutch).

Actually - there are no frictioners added to MC oil.
It's what they don't put into MC oil that makes it wet-clutch compatible.

I know what you meant but that's not what you said. Did you get your coffee this morning?

Harley recommends using a oil that has a SG rating.Which has been superseded by now. It's funny thou, if you look at a bottle of Harley oil it has no API rating or symbol on it. they also say to use a diesel oil if no Harley oil is available..

I've used RedLine's 15/50 for a few changes with no clutch problems. If they made a 15/50 M/C oil, I would use that.

Originally Posted By: kballowe

I know what you meant but that's not what you said. Did you get your coffee this morning?

When discussing MC oils, most people refer to wet clutch compatable oils as having frictioners. Your right, it isn't something that's added to the oil, it's just the way it's forumlated......but that's the way it's referred to....

Originally Posted By: bamorris2

This question was asked a lot when Red Line first introduced the black bottle (motorcycle oil). I had been using the white bottle (auto oil) for years before the black bottle was introduced. Infact the Red Line 20W50 HD for Vtwins was a white bottle product at one time. At the time of introduction of the black bottle Red Line was reprted to say that it is the same product and they introduced black bottle to cut down on the endless questions about use of white bottle in motorcycles. I can't find those references at the moment and can not say that it was fact or internet. There was also some reports that Red Line was going to reformulate the white bottle with a different additive package (less ZDDP) now that the MC oil had been introduced. Again, fact or internet?

Hard to say what the latest "truth" is but to cut to the chase contact Dave at Red Line.

Dave Granquist [[email protected]]

I still have about a half case of white bottle to use up from a previous multi case purchase and have used it in one of my bikes exclusively since breakin (six years). Very happy with it. The next purchase may be black bottle though.

With respect to some of the other responses, you already stated the bike you are going to use it in and shared sump, wet clutch, etc is not part of the OP. Red Line MTL is a great product for the primary if you are interested. Shock Proof is a great tranny fill.

When discussing MC oils, most people refer to wet clutch compatable oils as having frictioners. Your right, it isn't something that's added to the oil, it's just the way it's forumlated......but that's the way it's referred to....

I've never heard it referred to it that way.

Anyone else?

Last edited:

I've never heard it referred to it that way.

Anyone else?

Have you been couped up on the farm too long?

Short for friction modifiers (Moly B) I had assumed but no never have seen that. In any event Red Line has said this.

"Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, our Motorcycle oils are compatible with wet clutches, they aren't too slippery and would be safe for use. Our oils contain moly so classified as an MB oil though the particular type moly we use doesn't adversely affect the clutch performance or operation. Our 10W40 Motorcycle Oil will perform well in your Ducati.
We would recommend allowing the rings to seat in a fresh engine for 1500 to 2000 miles before installing our oils.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

"

I think powdered moly, like Molybdenum Disulfide, is bad for wet clutches, while soluble moly, such as Molybdenum Dithiocarbamate is safe for them.

I'm goin gto try the Redline mc oil with the temps start getting in the 100's.

Several years ago I did have mild cluth issue with their Car oil in my bike of the time after a few thousand miles of use.

Assuming they've reworked the clutch compatibility on the New MC specific oils , so no oil related marginal issues develope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back