Castrol 0w-30 in Mazda6 3.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.

V1

I have several quarts of the "green" Castrol 0w-30 left over from a several years ago. Nobody's car in my family takes 30-weight anymore, so I'm pondering about using it in my Mazda, which requires 5w-20.

The few discussions I read about oil weights have led me to believe that it's ok to use thicker oil in an engine. I seem to remember reading that the Castrol 0w-30 was more like a 40-weight. So I'm hoping to solicit just a few opinions about this before I trow it in the Maz. Thanks.

Yes it is the Duratec. There are guys the a Mazda6 forum who claim to use 0w-30, but I'm not sure whether it's a great idea to do.

I'd also like to add that my car has 110k miles. The oil level drops by about 1qt per 5000 miles. Probably a combination of burnoff and seepage.

The Tribute has 123k miles. If people can run 20w50 in 5w20 cars, you have nothing to worry about using GC in yours especially if other users do the same and report good results.

The only thing is that you might lose a small amount of gas mileage.

BTW, I'm running 10k mile OCIs with the GC

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
The Tribute has 123k miles. If people can run 20w50 in 5w20 cars, you have nothing to worry about using GC in yours especially if other users do the same and report good results.

The only thing is that you might lose a small amount of gas mileage.

BTW, I'm running 10k mile OCIs with the GC

what filter are you using with the GC? (never mind I see it.)
33.gif

Last edited:
one of the guy`s over on the lawn mower forum gave me a heads up on the A Zone special going on now. GC 5qts.and filter for 26.99.(just thought I`d pass it on)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: V1
Yes it is the Duratec. There are guys the a Mazda6 forum who claim to use 0w-30, but I'm not sure whether it's a great idea to do.

I'd also like to add that my car has 110k miles. The oil level drops by about 1qt per 5000 miles. Probably a combination of burnoff and seepage.

If you are worried about it just replace 1 quart with GC and the rest can be whatever oil you like. The change in viscosity will be less the 1 CST depending on sump size.

I have several quarts of the "green" Castrol 0w-30 left over from a several years ago.

I thought oil got "old"? I'm actually curious as to whether that is true or not.

Originally Posted By: Takechan
I have several quarts of the "green" Castrol 0w-30 left over from a several years ago.

I thought oil got "old"? I'm actually curious as to whether that is true or not.

I dont really buy into that too much,as long as it`s sealed anyway.

Pretty sure the GC has foil seals on the lid. So it has no exposure to any elements. It should stay good basically forever.

I think you should sell me the green GC and buy some Edge 20 weight though.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Pretty sure the GC has foil seals on the lid. So it has no exposure to any elements. It should stay good basically forever.

I think you should sell me the green GC and buy some Edge 20 weight though.
wink.gif

Yeah,what he said.
20.gif

I use M1 0w20 in my Mazda6 V6, and the Duratec seems to love that thin oil. Car seems to run smoother with it. I've read about some people using 5w30 oils, and have had a small drop in gas mileage, and some sluggishness with the engine.

Should be no problem at all. The only thing is if your doing an extended drain, I would switch to a better filter, such as K&N, or an M1 filter like I'm using.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
what filter are you using with the GC?

I got my hands on some M1-210 (which it specs) so I'll be using that filter starting next OCI. Thinking about using the EDGE 5w30 since it's thinner and using my stock of GC on the Lancer. I'd use it on the Camry but I'm too scared to extend the OCI on it since it's supposed to be a "sludger"

The GC might do well in the Camry. I couldnt believe my eyes on how well it seemed to clean up my daughters 02 Elantra.

Would you run the GC for 10k miles in my 5S-FE I4 Camry? If not then 7.5k miles? I don't think I can justify only 5k miles though.

If it were mine,I would pull the valve cover and see how it looks first.then make a determination on how long for oci.If it looks pretty good,do a 6 or 7 thousand mile oci.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back