Finding an outside-use cold-weather floor jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to find a 1.5 to 2-ton floor jack that will work outside in temps around 0 to 25 degrees F. I have an older 2-ton models that has been rebuilt twice and now refuses to function in temps below 40 degrees after about 10-minutes. Have to bring it back inside for 2-hours to warm up enough to get about 10-minutes of usefulness.
Does anyone know of a fairly reasonably priced 1.5 to 2-ton floor jack that can take such temperature abuse? Any ideas would be welcomed?

Last edited:
I have not faced that problem, my jacks work well in the cold.

I suspect the oil in your jack is too thick. Drain out all the oil and fill up with Dexron III ATF. The ATF will work well in cold weather. Even thinner oils are available if you are so inclined.

I use a Craftsman 3.5 ton floor jack all winter long and it has never given me a problem. My garage often is in the 20's in the winter. My jack is 10+ years old as well.

I think all jacks will work in those temps. If yours doesn't, did you put engine oil in for fluid?

I keep a beater jack under the Haulmark trailer, outdoors all-year.

It's an Allied 3.5 Ton, model 45491SUV. It's a bigger jack than you're looking for, but it works well in the temperature range you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back