Rotella T6 5w40 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what's in Shell Rotella T6 5w40 Full Synthetic CJ-4 diesel oil? and can I use it in a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500cc cruiser? I usually dain my oil at the 2100 mile interval with a new Wix filter.

The vulcan 1500 is water-cooled, so I think can stand to use a lower winter number like 5w , which I hope I can use all summer long, where it averages around 70F but the engine does't get that hot. I'm sort of afraid to use 20w-50 but have used Shell Rotella T 15w40 dino API CI-4 but willing to try a full synthetic. Just not sure of the new API CJ-4 classification.

Last edited:
I don't know much about what bikes require (wet clutches, I assume?) I keep hearing that moly is NOT wanted in bike oil. RT6 has a bit more moly than the previous SL-rated RTS, but its still not a big dose. RT6 showed round 60 PPM in my last UOA from my Jeep, whereas the old SL rated RTS was around 20 PPM.

The 1500 vulcan is a wet-clutch so moly is a concern. I seen on some oil analysis site that Shell Rotella T 5w40 CI-4 Plus had a moly rating of 1 and the new Shell Rotella T 15w40 dino CJ-4 had a moly rating of 2. So I don't know if RT6 60ppm moly is a concern for me or not. Is 60ppm moly considered high?

Ok just checked the shell site, the Rotella T6 5w40 is SM SL SH rated; API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4; JASO DH-2, MA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Degreaser
The 1500 vulcan is a wet-clutch so moly is a concern. I seen on some oil analysis site that Shell Rotella T 5w40 CI-4 Plus had a moly rating of 1 and the new Shell Rotella T 15w40 dino CJ-4 had a moly rating of 2. So I don't know if RT6 60ppm moly is a concern for me or not. Is 60ppm moly considered high?

Its not high as far as comparing to some other brands. Also remember I'm quoting a UOA from Blackstone, so allow for some test variation. I don't know what the actual PPM of RT6 really is, nor do I know the threshold at which it becomes a concern for wet clutches. Hopefully someone else can chime in with that.

Thanks Johnny, I went to that link and just wondering, is JASO: DH-2, MA a bike specific classification? I think I remember before that the JASO is for bikes?

I just checked with my tech friend at Shell and here is what the JASO specs mean.

JASO DH2 is diesel oil for trucks and buses. JASO MA is for motorcycles.

So, according to the Shell TDS the only product to carry the motorcycle rating is the T6 5W-40.

daman, the kawasaki owners manual says to use 10w-40

Johnny, do you happen to have the data numbers for the new Rotella T6 5w40 on- TBN, Calcium, Phosphorus and Molybdenum?
If you don't that's ok.

The 15w40 comes highly recommended in the AmericanVoyagerClub.
Some of the members use the Full Syn T6 stuff too. Stick with one of these and I don't think you can go wrong.

My local Walmart had RTS T6 on sale for $11 per gallon and now I have new mega-stash. I bought 20 gallons (all they had)

Oh, yeah.....

I bet your wife was happy with you.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I bet your wife was happy with you.
grin2.gif

She was when she found out that was nearly half-price. I showed her where M1 was $29 for 5 qts, no argument... My wife is a "cheapo" too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back