How to pack bulk grease in grease guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roll up your sleeves. Get plenty of rags. Clean the outside of the grease gun. Take the head off the grease gun. Stick the grease gun down into the pail of grease while you pull the plunger back and lock it into the slot. Fill the grease gun head with grease. Screw the head on. Release the plunger. Clean everything.

I found some lubriplate 1200-2 for $140 dollars online and thanks to george i ordered that 6.5 gallon pump. I decieded that i'd be better off just getting a pail and forget about pinching pennys

Good choice.

Having air pockets in the gun can be very frustrating. Here you are, on your back, under a truck and you finally manage to hook the gun up to a U-joint on the driveshaft (not always easy because access can be restricted) and you are squeezing away on the trigger like a mad man until it finally dawns on you that no grease is going into the joint because your gun is AIRLOCKED!

BTW, Dieseldoc, I hope your gun has a filler nipple. If not you can buy one and screw it on to the head of your gun.

The air bleeder on my grease gun could be unscrewed, and if the adapter on another grease gun was unscrewed, then screwed into my gun, I could fill up my gun.

That was very convenient at one place I used to work, because the bulk grease machine was a pain to use. It was a 30 gallon tub with an air powered grease pump on top, too bad the hose was very short, and one of the wheels was broken off.

Most full-sized guns have two tapped holes on the head in addition to the grease outlet. One of them is fitted with the bleed valve and the other hole can be fitted with the loader nipple.

I don't have to use the bleed valve to purge air anymore after I switched to bulk loading.

^^^what Ken2 said a few posts back. We use grease from 55-gal drums. The techs at our place showed me how they reload their grease guns. They put latex gloves on... plunge the empty gun into the barrel and draw the grease up... then swipe the grease off the outer gun surface with their hand. It's messy, but that's how they do it. I've seen some of the lube engineers tap the bottomside of a grease container with a rubber mallet to seat the grease and move the bubbles upward.

I have a pistol grease gun at home. I reload the cartridge with a putty knife and tap the cartridge on the table to move the air up.

whats funny is all the grease guns i currently have say they bulk load.. and have a nipple but when i went to use them they're too small. The pump zeeline? 5 gallon pump i got uses a no 80 nipple? suppose to be standard but none of my grease guns have that size it's alittle bit smaller fitting. so i just put the one in the kit on mine. I absolutely love it got 35# of lubriplate 1200-2 for about 100$ with a 35$ pump i'll have grease for years for everything i own truck, tractor, mowers whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back