M/B E300 Diesel Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to top off some oil in my sister in law's E300 diesel. Looking into the valve cover andtimingchains, I didn't see any sludge, just some varnish. The oil on the dipstick is black as night, however. What is a good oil for thiscar?

I'm not familiar with diesels.

It is normal for diesel engines to have very black oil. Tho oils carry a lot of soot from combustion byproducts. Ask her when she last had the oil changed.

Exactly totally normal. I used to have a mercedes diesel that you would not even have to start the car after an oil change and it would be black and I was using mobil 1 with 5K mile OCI. I did not know what I do now so I was changing way too early.

ahh. learn something new everyday. She doesn't know. If it is when I think it was, then maybe early last year, which is ok, not driven so much.

delcac 1300, do you like this oil Oldwolf, I got some last year when Oreilly's had the bygof sale and am running it now but havent changed yet. Several say it is as good as dello and rotella I sure hope so.

If you research old threads on this forum you will find that Delvac 1300 and Delo are neck to neck in first place with Rotella T following closely. This is in terms of additive packs and overall base oil quality.

In reality, if you use any of these three dino oils, your engine will be well protected.

I am using Delvac 1300 15w40 in my Mercedes, but I would be just as content if I had either of the other two in my engine.

In NYS, I would not want a 15w-40 in my crankcase. Sure, MB specs it down to 0F, but I prefer the faster starting characteristics of a 5w-40. It is noticable when getting down low.

In NC, perhaps a 15w-40 is great all year round. And I will use them on occasion in the summer and winter, but for routine use, everything goes easier with 5w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back