Body work done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I just got my car back from the Body-shop yesterday and have a question :

How long do I have to wait till I can wax my car again after it has been painted/clear-coated on the doors & rear quarter panels on both sides (2dr car)?

Also for the mean time can I use a Quick Detailer like Meguiars (the one in the maroon color bottle) to touch-up or get bird droppings,water spots and or light dirt off before and or after I was my car while I wait until I can Wax the car again.
Or do you recommend a different product thats out there to use that don't have any type of wax in it to clean and touch-up those spotted areas when need be..
I was told that the Meguiars Quick Detailer does not have any type of wax or Synthetic Polymers which would be safe enough to use so the paint can breath and cure when compared to their Ultimate Quik Detailer that has all that stuff in there to where it might interfere with the paint/clear-coat .

Any input and or advice would help !

Thanks to all in advance ..

I'd give it a month to fully cure, though I understand they come out cured these days. It also is dependent upon where you live... where are you? USA is a big place.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'd give it a month to fully cure, though I understand they come out cured these days. It also is dependent upon where you live... where are you? USA is a big place.

Mid West Coast of Florida !

Go to the source, ask the people that did the work. Some say 30 days, some say 60, some say 90.

That's the problem , I have and talked to a few people at the body shop it was done at and I have also called a few other body shops around town and got different answers on waiting times. Most say 30 , some say 60 and a few said 90 but one did say 2-3 weeks ( ? ) . .
So thats way I'm asking around so I can get the right amount of waiting time before waxing the car.
What I'm going to do is compromise and wait for about 60 days just to be safe because thats about half way to what the max waiting time some people are saying ..
I will probably wax my car with Meguiars Gold Classic Liquid Wax . Has anyone use this product and if so how do you like it ?

With modern paints it should take no more than 30 days especially if the temprature is fairly warm like it is in FLA.

But... I would wait the full 30 days before I'd put anything on it other than water and very mild car wash soap.

Enjoy your new paint job.

right after painting and doing block sanding before buffing i remove the wet clear that has been sanded with mequires final finish with no problem. so i would think it would be ok to use to clean up bird droppings. i would think the bird droppings would eat into the paint

Do what your body shop says. If you seal it, the paint won't be able to cure properly. Zaino - sealant. Wait at minimum 30 days. I think my shop stated to wait 60 days (IIRC?).

Why not find out what paint they used and how long and at what temp they baked it. Then call the paint company its self and ask them. I bet they have at least a few chemist there that figure out how long it takes for paint to cure completely.

Quote:
Why not find out what paint they used and how long and at what temp they baked it.

That's quite an assumption that it got baked at all, I wouldn't bet on that.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
You can slap a coat of Zaino on it without waiting.

A REALLY stupid move since most Z products are sealants. That is exactly the wrong thing to do on new paint. Just wash it and wait 60 days or so, using an average of the people you have asked.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF

A REALLY stupid move since most Z products are sealants. That is exactly the wrong thing to do on new paint. Just wash it and wait 60 days or so, using an average of the people you have asked.

Originally Posted By: roushstage2
And then slap yourself upside the head for waxing/sealing the fresh paint.

Zaino is fine to use on fresh paint. It does not seal the paint the way you guys may think it does.

Zaino is not like a suit of armor for car paint. It will allow the paint to "breathe", unlike a wax which acts more like what you think a sealant does; completely seals off the paint.

Sal and his family were custom car painters long before they were in the car care products business. If anyone knows how their products react to fresh paint, it would be the Zaino folks.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
Originally Posted By: RTexasF

And then slap yourself upside the head for waxing/sealing the fresh paint.

Zaino is fine to use on fresh paint. It does not seal the paint the way you guys may think it does.

Zaino is not like a suit of armor for car paint. It will allow the paint to "breathe", unlike a wax which acts more like what you think a sealant does; completely seals off the paint.

Sal and his family were custom car painters long before they were in the car care products business. If anyone knows how their products react to fresh paint, it would be the Zaino folks.

I've seen threads where people have emailed Zaino and asked this very question being asked, and Zaino replied that they should wait.

What I'm getting at, is not all modern paints are "catalyzed" paints and therefore ready to go the moment they pull the car out of the paint booth, such as Sal generally seems to suggest as well --> wax away!. Even some catalyzed paints need dry time, which is not necessarily cure time either. Drying and curing are two different processes. Just because someone worked in that profession, does not mean that every thing that comes out of their mouth is the end-all truth or correct way, either. By all means, if you want to wax right away, go for it. Doesn't bother me one way or another. :)

I've seen threads where people have emailed Zaino and asked this very question being asked, and Zaino replied that they should wait.

That's why I get my info direct from the source instead of relying on "threads" from "people". In 12+ years of discussing car detailing on the web, I've found most people are wrong or misinformed.

Waiting is the safest decision but it is not always the only one. You are the one who implied it would not be smart to wax/seal fresh paint, not me. That's not entirely correct.

What I'm getting at, is not all modern paints are "catalyzed" paints and therefore ready to go the moment they pull the car out of the paint booth, such as Sal generally seems to suggest as well --> wax away!. Even some catalyzed paints need dry time, which is not necessarily cure time either. Drying and curing are two different processes. Just because someone worked in that profession, does not mean that every thing that comes out of their mouth is the end-all truth or correct way, either. By all means, if you want to wax right away, go for it. Doesn't bother me one way or another. :)

Feel free to casually dismiss any expert, highly experienced advice you want. Doesn't bother me. Personally, I would much rather trust someone who has decades of auto painting experience, direct relationships with automotive paint chemists and developers, and has innovated a state-of-the-art paint protection product which is unmatched in the industry.

Bottom Line for everyone else - - - Zaino is safe to use on fresh paint according to the mfr, but if you want to play it safe, discuss the matter with your painter (as they are responsible for the paint system used) and follow their advice.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz

That's why I get my info direct from the source instead of relying on "threads" from "people". In 12+ years of discussing car detailing on the web, I've found most people are wrong or misinformed.

Waiting is the safest decision but it is not always the only one. You are the one who implied it would not be smart to wax/seal fresh paint, not me. That's not entirely correct.

Feel free to casually dismiss any expert, highly experienced advice you want. Doesn't bother me. Personally, I would much rather trust someone who has decades of auto painting experience, direct relationships with automotive paint chemists and developers, and has innovated a state-of-the-art paint protection product which is unmatched in the industry.

Bottom Line for everyone else - - - Zaino is safe to use on fresh paint according to the mfr, but if you want to play it safe, discuss the matter with your painter (as they are responsible for the paint system used) and follow their advice.

That's where they got their information from? From an email from ZAINO. They didn't just make it up. They got told that from Zaino; the same brand you are saying you should get the information from. So, now, either you are incorrect or Zaino is incorrect if the above that you said holds true. As for me implying it would not be smart to wax/seal the paint, correct. You said the same thing, with the exception of adding in that Zaino doesn't actually seal the paint like a "normal" wax or sealant. Following either your or my statement, it's saying the same thing. Don't "seal" the paint.

As for me casually dismissing expert's information, I'm not sure how I am doing so. NOT ALL PAINT IS CATALYZED. That's not an opinion or a guess. Other highly experienced experts in the field say otherwise as well about not waxing fresh paint. Two highly experienced "experts" saying two different things. Whose correct? They must both be correct according to you because they are after all, the experts, right?

If anything, it sounds like Zaino and the people who answer the questions asked, need to either pick yes or no for this whole situation. They tell some, sure, go right ahead. Then they tell others, no, wait. Contradicting themselves above all.

I don't automatically believe the voices on the internet or trust second-hand statements from somebody who received an email from someone. If I have a question I go right to the source and get my info direct. In this case it would be the painter or the mfr of the car care product I was using. Everything else is hearsay or worse.

I have no idea why you are rattling on about catalyzed paint. The only person who has brought that up in this thread is you. Nobody else seems to care.

I have no idea who you are referring to as, "other highly experienced experts". My information about Zaino comes directly from Zaino, no other source or expert is involved. If you want to know what Zaino suggests about using their products on fresh paint, why not contact them personally and find out for yourself?

Do yourself a favor - Stop believing and trusting all the chatter on the web. The vast majority of it is wrong or misguided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back