Engine noise with Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: saaber1

Sort of like all the speculation about base stocks of various oils. Who knows what they really use unless it is tested to verify?

massive-poop-bucket.jpg

Hey, hey, don't forget that it gets "highly refined" along the way

Mobil 1 is not noisy. Repeat after me, it is not noisy. You really, really don't want to say it is noisy.

mobilstatecopy.jpg

(Kidding!)

I don't know what people are comparing M1 to. HDEOs? M1 5w20 was definitely quieter in the 2003 Tribute compared to the Dino 5w20. Of course going to GC made it even quieter but that's not a fair comparison. I'm sure the M1 0w40 would be just as or even quieter than the GC.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
Mobil 1 is not noisy. Repeat after me, it is not noisy. You really, really don't want to say it is noisy.

mobilstatecopy.jpg

(Kidding!)

I don't know what people are comparing M1 to. HDEOs? M1 5w20 was definitely quieter in the 2003 Tribute compared to the Dino 5w20. Of course going to GC made it even quieter but that's not a fair comparison. I'm sure the M1 0w40 would be just as or even quieter than the GC.

You ran GC in a motor that requires 5W-20? didnt you notice a performance difference?

Last edited:
No performance difference. Perhaps a loss in mileage but with the 4x4 usage because of the snow it's hard to measure

Originally Posted By: tig1
Can you show us an example of someone asking you to blindly trust M1 oils?

All M1 oils are very good.

Oops...
lol.gif

My 32 years of experience with M1 oils has been excellant. That's not asking someone to blindly trust M1.

My 32 years of experience with M1 oils has been excellant. That's not asking someone to blindly trust M1.

As my use of any brand oil for the same time frame has been excellent. (actually longer)

Never had a single engine problem due to oil. A few issues due to poor choice of vehicle brands.

Bill

One thing this shows is that on the internet you can show and say anything you want with out proving it. I'm still laughing.

Too true! That is why one has to question everything! Case in point is one guy pasted his name on top of another guy's VOA in the UOA section and called it his own. Why in the heck would anyone do that? It's the Motul 300V post. Crazy...

whaaa...? Hahahahaaa. Link please!

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Case in point is one guy pasted his name on top of another guy's VOA in the UOA section and called it his own. Why in the heck would anyone do that? It's the Motul 300V post. Crazy...

whaaa...? Hahahahaaa. Link please!

The guy got banned for doing it. There is justice in the world! Way to go Helen!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1708075#Post1708075

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

As my use of any brand oil for the same time frame has been excellent. (actually longer)

Never had a single engine problem due to oil. A few issues due to poor choice of vehicle brands.

Bill

You are fortunate to never had an oil issue. In the early to mid 60s I used QS and it sludged my slant 6 Valient in 35k. After that I went with Val 20 wt in the winter and 30 wt in the summer and it was fine with 3000 mile OCIs. From about 69 to 77 I used Royal Triton 10-30 and it was good. About this time in 78 I started off with M1 and found an oil I could stay with.

0w30 is the noisiest oil to ever be in my 4-Runner. Even the YB 5w20 was quieter.

But, I still believe in the M1 0w30.....as the UOA's don't lie on this oil.

I will also say...the noise is early and once warm....sounds and feels good.

tig1, I understand why you like M1 now. They do make great oils. I just wonder if they put the same love into all their flavors. People need a reason to upgrade to the EP, ESP, HM, or Truck & SUV right? I noticed in your sig that you use 5w20 EP. Do you feel that the EP 5w20 is superior enough to the regular 5w20 to warrant the extra cost? I am leaning to believing it though since I didn't like the regular 5w20 on the Duratec 3.0 V6 engine

And I can see how you had problems with the old pre-SOPUS QS. People used to trash the old Pennzoil too and the seemingly ancient wax rumors are still going strong from what I hear.

You are fortunate to never had an oil issue.

crackmeup2.gif

Yep, very fortunate since I'm not as smart as others huh?

If I used Mobil 1 all those years then I'd not be fortunate? It would be a given correct?

Amazing..

I definitely had more noise on my Scion tC with M1.
I used 5w30, then Toyota changed the spec to 5w20 - both seemed noisier than the previous Kendall GT1 and the subsequent GC 0w30.
Since then, all RP 5w20, which is nice and quiet.
FWIW, I also used M1 20w50 in my Honda Superhawk 996 V-Twin.
Still has that in it - but it's in storage...

Originally Posted By: PurplePride
I used 5w30, then Toyota changed the spec to 5w20 - both seemed noisier than the previous Kendall GT1 and the subsequent GC 0w30.

I can attest that M1 did make my tC noisier as well. I don't have unfounded hatred for M1 though. I certainly love M1's syn ATF in my powersteering, and in the tranny of my other cars.

Originally Posted By: Scuderia
Originally Posted By: PurplePride

I can attest that M1 did make my tC noisier as well. I don't have unfounded hatred for M1 though. I certainly love M1's syn ATF in my powersteering, and in the tranny of my other cars.

So, what are you using now?

tig1, I understand why you like M1 now. They do make great oils. I just wonder if they put the same love into all their flavors. People need a reason to upgrade to the EP, ESP, HM, or Truck & SUV right? I noticed in your sig that you use 5w20 EP. Do you feel that the EP 5w20 is superior enough to the regular 5w20 to warrant the extra cost? I am leaning to believing it though since I didn't like the regular 5w20 on the Duratec 3.0 V6 engine

And I can see how you had problems with the old pre-SOPUS QS. People used to trash the old Pennzoil too and the seemingly ancient wax rumors are still going strong from what I hear.

I really don't consider the price of oil that I use. In 1978 I was paying $5.00 a qt for M1 when dino was .35 cents.
As for me using EP I started using that as soon as it came out. There is no problem using the regular M1 for the 10k OCI which I am doing with the EP. I haven't used the regular M1 5-20 but the M1 5-30 is fine. A friend has a 2000 Taurus with 310,000 miles all on M1 5-30. He does 8-10K OCIs. The engine still runs great. There is a BITOGER her that uses M1 0-20 with very high mileage engines, and he does 20k mile OCi. fsskier is his post name.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
0w30 is the noisiest oil to ever be in my 4-Runner. Even the YB 5w20 was quieter.

I agree, the M1 0w-30 is an awesome oil. I run it in two vehicles, a high mileage SUV and a brand new Cobalt and it is great in both. I don't think the M1 0w-30 gets the love it deserves here on BITOG tho, for some reason.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Originally Posted By: BigJohn

I agree, the M1 0w-30 is an awesome oil. I run it in two vehicles, a high mileage SUV and a brand new Cobalt and it is great in both. I don't think the M1 0w-30 gets the love it deserves here on BITOG tho, for some reason.

Two reasons:

1) M
2) 1

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back