Engine noise with Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: EdClark

I just changed the oil and filter. Same MC FL-820s filter and Castrol 20w50. About 45 degrees outside.

All abnormal noises are gone. Just the sweet sound of solid lash adjusters.

So, you found out your engine likes a heavier oil.

Or at least you like the sound of it with a heavier oil.

It might be interesting to try Mobil 1 15W-50 or even Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
it may like the M1 0w40 which is probably the best grade of M1 they make =)

one of the best,they make some great oils

Okay,

I just changed the oil and filter. Same MC FL-820s filter and Castrol 20w50. About 45 degrees outside.

No knock or slap, cold, warm or hot. Hot oil pressure doubled from 25 to 50 psi... hot...

Whatever...!! :)

Thanks,

Ed

Maybe it's just more prevelant in these modulars. But besides my stang it also made my wifes Accord a little louder though. I'm probably going to switch the wifes car over to some MC 5w-30 blend since the car is so easy on oil. Probably gonna switch the stang over to PP 5w-30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AdRock
Okay,

No knock or slap, cold, warm or hot. Hot oil pressure doubled from 25 to 50 psi... hot...

Whatever...!! :)

Thanks,

Ed

Maybe it's just more prevelant in these modulars. But besides my stang it also made my wifes Accord a little louder though. I'm probably going to switch the wifes car over to some MC 5w-30 blend since the car is so easy on oil. Probably gonna switch the stang over to PP 5w-30.

What year is the Mustang? We've been very happy with M1 0w40 and Delvac 1 5w40 in our 2000 and 2002 Expeditions.

Originally Posted By: daman

so there's a better grade of M1 than the 0w40 European Formula? do tell

Originally Posted By: daman

so there's a better grade of M1 than the 0w40 European Formula? do tell

Not a question of better or worse. 5-20 may be better in a newer Ford than 0-40. 0-40 would be better in a Mercd. than 5-20. All M1 oils are very good. Depends on your engines needs.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

What year is the Mustang? We've been very happy with M1 0w40 and Delvac 1 5w40 in our 2000 and 2002 Expeditions.

It's a 2002 GT. 97k miles on it currently. I had thought about going to a 0w or 5w40 but I'm sure I want to go to a 40

My Mustang w/4.6 mod motor likes 5W30 QS Synthetic Q Horsepower the best for quietness. It also made some upper valve or (whatever it was sound on a hot summer day) noise on the 5w20. I think the VVT is working fine on this too @75k miles on the car. Always FL820 filters.

It's a 2002 GT. 97k miles on it currently. I had thought about going to a 0w or 5w40 but I'm sure I want to go to a 40

Since I can't edit the post this is how I have to correct it.

I had thought about going to a 0w or 5w40 but I'm sure I want to go to a 40

Should say

I had thought about going to a 0w or 5w40 but I'm NOT sure I want to go to a 40

Originally Posted By: tig1
All M1 oils are very good.

I came to this site to make informed decisions and it seemed like UOAs were the way to go. Now with all the negative UOAs in certain grades of M1 that do not start with 0w I began to think those aren't the greatest formulations. It's one thing to say to ignore those UOAs but it's another thing to say that people should blindly trust M1 oils.

Since I can't edit the post this is how I have to correct it.

I had thought about going to a 0w or 5w40 but I'm sure I want to go to a 40

Should say

I had thought about going to a 0w or 5w40 but I'm NOT sure I want to go to a 40

Well, the 0w40 is a "thin" 40, the 5w40 is a "thick" 40. They are at each end of the grade.

I came to this site to make informed decisions and it seemed like UOAs were the way to go. Now with all the negative UOAs in certain grades of M1 that do not start with 0w I began to think those aren't the greatest formulations. It's one thing to say to ignore those UOAs but it's another thing to say that people should blindly trust M1 oils.

Can you show us an example of someone asking you to blindly trust M1 oils?
Every oil made has had their critics here at BITOG. I have seen noise complaints about PP, Amsoil, Val,etc. Remember M1 users far and a way out number all the rest of synt. users, so naturally moore complaints.
But their are also a large number of BITOGERS that use M1 with great success.
No one really cares what oil you use here, this is just a forum to discuss and cuss our experience and technical knowledge about oils.

Also UOAs are not a way to decide what oil to use. To much varience with differant companies that do the testing.Pick agood oil and stick with it.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 is not noisy. Repeat after me, it is not noisy. You really, really don't want to say it is noisy.

mobilstatecopy.jpg

(Kidding!)

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Mobil 1 is not noisy. Repeat after me, it is not noisy. You really, really don't want to say it is noisy.

mobilstatecopy.jpg

(Kidding!)

That is funny! How did you do that?
One thing this shows is that on the internet you can show and say anything you want with out proving it. I'm still laughing.

One thing this shows is that on the internet you can show and say anything you want with out proving it. I'm still laughing.

Too true! That is why one has to question everything! Case in point is one guy pasted his name on top of another guy's VOA in the UOA section and called it his own. Why in the heck would anyone do that? It's the Motul 300V post. Crazy...

Sort of like all the speculation about base stocks of various oils. Who knows what they really use unless it is tested to verify?

massive-poop-bucket.jpg

Can you show us an example of someone asking you to blindly trust M1 oils?

That's what you said in response to my claim that the 0w40 is superior to the other grades. It's an unsubstantiated claim. If you can tell me why I should believe you over the posts of people who have used these oils and over the UOAs then it wouldn't be blind. 0w40 European Formula users are more satisfied than the 5w30, 10w30, and 5w20 users. The 0w30 and 0w20 AFE users tend to be in between. You consistently see this wherever you go, especially here in BITOG. I look for the opinions of people who actually use these oils when going through these sites. This is why I read just about every post in the PCMO section. With extended OCIs, there's no way I can personally test every flavor, grade, and brand of oil out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back