Lets talk footwear again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LAGA
As a carpenter for 27 years, I am on my feet all day. For the last 10-12 years I have been getting boots from either Cabelas for B. A. Masons, mainly for the comfort. The problem was they just did not last more than 9 months. A month ago I bought a pair of Red Wings for $250. They felt great in the store and the plan was for them to last longer than my other boots. After wearing them for two weeks, I developed pain in my right foot. Long story short, doctor says I have developed a Neuroma or "pinched Nerve" from the way my new boots with the stiffer sole makes me walk. I am looking at either inserts, shots, or therapy, or a combination of all three to get rid of the pain. Anybody want to buy a pair of Red Wings?

My experience with Wolverine is the same.
Wore the boots around the house they felt good.
Wore them at work they became painful.
I'm on concrete and steel all day.
Anti slip boots are the priority.
Guys I could use some suggestions.

Originally Posted By: nepatternmaker
I've worked on my feet in mfg for 20 yrs. Swore by my Red Wings. Then they went to the 'poured' sole, non-resoleable outside the factory. They now cause me continuous pain; feet, ankles, knees & hips. Tried Justin lacers, they did real well, but I like wellingtons. Tried some Justin wellingtons. first pair the heel collapsed and wore away in 6 months. Justin warranteed them, and the 2nd pair did the same thing. I had like the lacers so much, I tried yet another pair in a slightly different style; same rapid wear to the point of causing pain in 6 months. Tried wolverines, also painful. Now have a set of lace up Zcoil steel toes. Ugliest boots I ever saw. Pain is gone and they have yet to show any wear on the outsole. Only complaint I have is that they do not provide decent traction on snow or ice. My pain level was starting to make me wonder how I was going to support my family, these zcoils have made a HUGE difference, I don't care what they look like or what they cost ($300) and they are 100% made in USA.

dave

Have you looked into these Zcoils?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I wear the Oliver 55-245 ( http://www.oliver.com.au/asp/show_products.asp?CatId=11 ) 10 hours a day, 5 days most weeks.

Without a doubt, they are the best work boot that I've EVER worn in 23 years of wearing safety boots.

They've made the cap extra wide, and can wriggle toes freely. The sole isn't work boot flat, but rolls with your stride. the yellow torsion bar things in the sole stop it from cracking (a problem with Oliver's previous stuff).

The "lace locking device" is just at the top of the foot, where when you pull on the laces, they clip in to the loop (that double looking one in the pic), keeping the area over the tongue taught, and allowing two different lace tightnesses.

The yellow kevlar stitching looks stupid, but a couple of treatments with parade gloss, and they disappear. Rubber over the toe annoys my but buffs up OK with parade gloss.

Been wearing the same set for 8 months now, and have just hit the tread wear indicators. Normally 6 months and my boots are unserviceable. Tread wear nice and even also, more wear under ball of foot, which is a nice change.

Or maybe one of these Olivers....some of their soles look like they would be very good as non slip choices.

I like Dr. Martens boots. Very springy sole, well built, long lasting, and steel toes. Somewhat pricey at +/- $150 a pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back