ATF advice, 2001 buick regal LS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, the car in question is a 2001 buick regal ls with around 87k, I dont think the fluid has ever been changed, everything with the transmission is fine, shifts are good. The fluid is also red in color, doenst look to be burnt.

I wanted to get the fluid changed with Amsoil synthetic fluid
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

Total capacity is 13qts, with drain n fill I will be replacing around 8 qts.

Is it ok to do a drain n fill with amsoil fluid? I do not have access to a T-TECH type machine

Thanks!

Id get a dex VI in there. Dex is the right fluid for that application, I wouldnt use a one size fits all ATF.

Well my main concern is that if I do the drain n fill, i will still be mixing 8 new qts with 5 old qts of atf...is this ok?

Do a coolant line flush. You don't want that much old oil diluting any advantage you will be getting by running the Amsoil.

Buying expensive synthetic then diluting it with old fluid is throwing money out the window.
Do a line off exchange,its very easy on your car.
It amounts to removing a small clip on the lower tranny line with a small screwdriver then putting a plastic hose on the line into a container.
Start the engine to pump about 3 qts out then remove the pan.

Change the filter and refill,start the engine again and pump out 3 more qts.
Repeat until clean fluid is coming out,reconnect the line,refill and check the fluid level.

The pump will empty the converter without mixing much of the new fluid in with the old.

The amsoil ATF works great. I use it in 4 of my GM vehicles.
Be fore I switched from the stock fluid, I could feel some slipping when towing on a steep incline with one of my trucks. After I changed no more slipping. This is on a road that I have driven on for 30 years.

O.P.

I don't know anything about the Amsoil fluid you are talking about. However, I like DEX 6 and it is currently recommended by GM. With the mileage of 87k I would just do a pan drop, refill with any brand DEX 6. Reuse the gasket but wipe off all random grime with a rag (replace filter with GM Filtec.) Run that stuff for a year and then if you wish to do the Amsoil you will have a fresher start for it.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, im gonna have to drain the whole thing via cooler line and go with the Amsoil dex v1 ATF

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id get a dex VI in there. Dex is the right fluid for that application, I wouldnt use a one size fits all ATF.

Careful - the mods are good here, but that doesn't make them ATF experts.

Amsoil makes a variety of ATF's.

The Amsoil ATF you want is: Amsoil ATL and certainly is not a one size fits all.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
O.P.

I don't know anything about the Amsoil fluid you are talking about. However, I like DEX 6 and it is currently recommended by GM. With the mileage of 87k I would just do a pan drop, refill with any brand DEX 6. Reuse the gasket but wipe off all random grime with a rag (replace filter with GM Filtec.) Run that stuff for a year and then if you wish to do the Amsoil you will have a fresher start for it.

Just my 2 cents.

+1, this is what I'd do. Then, a few times over the next year, Id do dipstick suck-out and refill cycles to help get more, newer fluid in there.

Dex VI is good enough that I wouldnt worry about using much else.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

The Amsoil ATF you want is: Amsoil ATL and certainly is not a one size fits all.

How definite are we that the specs for all the fluids listed are identical? Amsoil states:

AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended for automatic transmissions and other applications requiring DEXRON® VI, MERCON® LV, SP or Toyota WS

Sure wish they would produce a straight Dex VI, a specific fluid like redline seems to.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

How definite are we that the specs for all the fluids listed are identical? Amsoil states:

AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended for automatic transmissions and other applications requiring DEXRON® VI, MERCON® LV, SP or Toyota WS

Sure wish they would produce a straight Dex VI, a specific fluid like redline seems to.

From the Redline site for D6:

Quote:
Popular product and application crossover:

Dexron® VI (GM Part Number 88861003), Mercon® SP, Mercon® LV, Mercon®, Dexron® III '99 on automatic PNs

Ford Mercon® SP--Torque Shift 5-speed Automatic 5R110W, '03 on 6.0 liter diesel trucks, 2005-09 V-10, ZF 6HP26 6R60/6R75,

Mercon LV-'08 Focus

Toyota/Lexus ATF WS JWS 3324:--4 Runner, Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, Prius & IS250, 350, LS430, GX470, LX470 , '07 Camry

Mercedes NAG-2 7 speed transmission, Fuchs, Mobil & Shell 3353, MB Sheet 236.12, pt# A001 989 45 03 10

So what does this mean, a different "semi-universal" add pack to meet those, and the same thing is used in Amsoil and Redline?

Still doesnt answer the question of how different the Mercron, toyota and dex specs are.

A real good procedure is to drop the pan and change the filter. Then refill the tranny and then do a cooling line flush. Works great.

So what does this mean, a different "semi-universal" add pack to meet those, and the same thing is used in Amsoil and Redline?

Still doesnt answer the question of how different the Mercron, toyota and dex specs are.

Not exactly the same additives, but as I have stated before, there is more than one way to achieve the appropriate characteristics of any given group of ATF's, or single ATF.

The thing that is slow to catch on at BITOG is simply how very close these ATF's are in all characteristics. They are hardly different at all, beyond the point that the transmission will not know the difference.

Redline and Amsoil are smart, strong companies with good reputations to hold up. Two major boutique lubricant suppliers. Competitors? Of course - so you think these two companies are just turd jerkers, out to rip off the public? I have seen no evidence of this - either in the performance of the companies or the real proof, the performance of the products.

Now line up the majors that are starting/doing the same. Hmmm....seems like these "semi-universal" work pretty darn well and in fact, better than OEM in some important areas for an ATF such as low temp flow, better natural VI, less resistance to oxidation, etc.

I'm going to send this quote to Larry The Cable Guy, I bet he can use it in his act.

"turd jerkers"
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: gs300tx
Hey guys, the car in question is a 2001 buick regal ls with around 87k, I dont think the fluid has ever been changed, everything with the transmission is fine, shifts are good. The fluid is also red in color, doenst look to be burnt.

I wanted to get the fluid changed with Amsoil synthetic fluid
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

Total capacity is 13qts, with drain n fill I will be replacing around 8 qts.

Is it ok to do a drain n fill with amsoil fluid? I do not have access to a T-TECH type machine

Thanks!

Once again, I am with JHZR2 in that I agree with the recommendation to go to the OEM recommended fluid, which in this case is DEXRON(R)-VI.

The "one size fits all" fluids are doubtful since there is no control over them, and whilst some may be OK, some are certainly not (in my experience).

Originally Posted By: Shovel Head Ted
You can get amsoil that is DexVI

Ask them for the license number and check that it is on the container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back