Hyundai Brand Oil Filters- w/pics--seems good

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently traded in my Focus on a 2009 hyundai Elantra Touring.
There doesnt seem to be a whole lot of filter choices available (at walmart,autozone,advance auto)
So I went to the dealer to see what the hyundai filters looked like.

I must say I am impressed, and they come with a "free" crush washer.

Pics with comments to follow

Outside of box with crush washer. (image is slight rectangular distorted)
792dee54.jpg

Picture of filter and box, note the plastic wrap on end of filter, the can is very thick reminds me of M1. It has no give like the motorcraft, purolator filters I've used.
also has silicone antidrainback valve, bypass valve is on far end of can.
a4ee5f86.jpg

Close up of side of filter.
14f01a61.jpg

It was hard to get good pics that wouldnt take up the whole screen. If anyone wants a close up of something or a high res picture I can add it.

Edit: Filters were 6+tax crush washer was free.. crush washers cost 1.59 by themselves.

My favorite thing about the owners manual is the oil recommendation section.
It recommends anything from 0w20 to 20w50 with an overlapping climate chart.. Yey for not dumbing down the manual.

Last edited:
I use the same filter in my truck, great filters for the price. Attempted to cut one open not too long ago, and ended up cutting my hand instead. Bloody thing's built pretty tough.
thumbsup2.gif

Someone figured out in another thread that those were equivalent to the common Honda-type PH3593A / L14459 filers, yes? Correct me if I'm wrong...

I searched the forum didnt find any oil filters with keyword hyundai? Can you provide a link

The difference was in the bypass setting. IIRC it was set too high in the Fram when Hyundai first introduced the Beta engine way back in 1995. I believe the problem has been corrected.

Beta engines can get rattly at startup with a non-OEM filter on it. I never used an OEM filter on my old Elantra, and it rattled pretty well when it started. Went away after a few seconds. Hyundai had a TSB out many years ago directing service personnel to replace the oil filter with an OEM if the startup rattle was complained about.

yep that would be the link i was looking for. I didnt find one in 3 searches.. wonder how that happened. Only reason I took pics and posted is it looked like noone had posted on it yet..

Oh well search engine failure here :)

Originally Posted By: bakechad
Originally Posted By: Rand
I searched the forum didnt find any oil filters with keyword hyundai? Can you provide a link

I got a bunch of hits. I think this is the post he was referring to:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1519286

Yep, that would be it.
wink.gif

Searching www.pureoil.com for the OP's car comes up with L14459 (common Honda application) but Fram's site refrences PH9688, not PH3593A (Fram's common Honda). Specs look to be the same except for the specific 12psi for the PH3593A and 9-15psi for the PH9688, and a slight height difference.

http://www.power-21.com/FramPower21i/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=F&pn=PH3593A

http://www.power-21.com/FramPower21i/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=F&pn=PH9688

Either way, it should be real easy to find filters for his car locally, but that Hyundai OEM filter looks solid, even for non-Hyundais.

Hyundai's parts division is "Hyundai Mobis".

It's my understanding that Hyundai purchased German filter technology some years ago to make these.

They look a lot like the Mahle filters.

I picked up a case of 26300-35501 some years ago and I have no complaints.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I use the same filter in my truck, great filters for the price. Attempted to cut one open not too long ago, and ended up cutting my hand instead. Bloody thing's built pretty tough.
thumbsup2.gif

If you have a drill press, I used this method to open a M1 filter painlessly. I know there are better ways, but this worked for me with low frustration factor, and very quick.

Just set your drill press to it lowest speed to minimize mess if it's a used filter!

(scroll down for pics)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1773683&page=2

Originally Posted By: sunfire
What does line #2 say about 4/5 turn and how much torque?

Maybe I'm dense, but I don't get what you're asking.

(was that question for me and how I cut open my filter, or the OP?)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KilgoreBass
Originally Posted By: sunfire
What does line #2 say about 4/5 turn and how much torque?

Maybe I'm dense, but I don't get what you're asking.

(was that question for me and how I cut open my filter, or the OP?)

He's talking about line 2 directions called out on the side of the filter.

14f01a61.jpg

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

I picked up a case of 26300-35501 some years ago and I have no complaints.

The 26300-35501 are good filters, 26300-35502 added a thicker base plate and 26300-35503 added the silicone ADBV which is nice for the same price as the 35501. These can be purchased online in the $4 range. I like to run larger filters otherwise I would use them exclusively. I have cut a ton of them open over the years always very high qaulity.

A warning about the drill press methods, most consumer drill presses run quite fast even on low. The drill press is probably the most dangerous power tool in a shop. Not just anyone should try to open a filter using a drill press unless they are ready for some major damage to their flesh if something goes wrong.

Of course people should always be careful, but on low speed of 600 RPM the filter is only turning at less than 10 MPH surface speed.

(much slower than a cutting wheel, for example)

I do agree that it's probably best to do this with a small bench top model that doesn't have a lot of torque. Mine stalls easily if the blade is held with too much pressure, it's only 1/3 HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back