FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DrJ
I have a 2006 Miata 2.0L engine that uses 5w20. Would I make a mistake trying GC? Thanks, DrJ

You probably have nothing to gain from running GC in your engine, and if anything, you might negatively affect your fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I have a 2006 Miata 2.0L engine that uses 5w20. Would I make a mistake trying GC? Thanks, DrJ

You probably have nothing to gain from running GC in your engine, and if anything, you might negatively affect your fuel economy.

And cold engine performance. ^^

It is available in Canada, you can get ESP from most Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Dealership and may be even from MB's dealership...and always from the largest Mobil 1 distributor in Canada NOCO lubricants, if there is a distributing centre near you, you can probably order over the phone and pick it form them...thanx!

Originally Posted By: 9krpmrx8
This is posted elsewhere. Here is mine with GC 0W-30. Not too happy with the results considering the oil only had 1500 miles on it.
l_a00c9ace4fca4a089f33382687524654.jpg

I'm just going to throw this out there....

As far as I know, Mazda says their rotary engines should not use synthetic oil. I think it has something to do with oil injection, but not 100% on that.

Any update?

FD777 stated in his post on 4/3/06 that he wouldn't recommend GC for any engine that asks for 5w20 (ie nothing below 30 weight) I have a 2006 Miata 2.0L engine that uses 5w20. Would I make a mistake trying GC? Thanks, DrJ
I use it in my Honda Fit and did not notice a drop in fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: ben_321
GC 0-30 is almost a 40 weight in terms of viscosity, thats why it will be a bit thick for something that calls for a 20 weight oil.

In my Climate, Castrol and Honda Japan call for a thicker oil on their websites. The EPA is dictating us Americans to use 20WT oils!

The main reason 5W-20 was specified for your engine is to increase the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) reported to the Federal Government. CAFE is the combined average fuel economy of all of a vehicle manufacturers product line. Minimum CAFE levels are specified by the Federal Government. In order for a vehicle manufacturer to continue selling profitable large trucks and SUV's, which typically have poor fuel mileage ratings, as compared to smaller cars, and still meet mandated CAFE requirements, they must also sell enough of the smaller cars which have much better fuel economy ratings to offset the poor fuel economy ratings of the larger vehicles. For model year 2001, the change to a 5W-20 oil will allow Ford and Honda's overall CAFE to increase by a very small amount, typically in the tenths of a mile per gallon range. 5W-20 oil is a lighter viscosity than a 5W-30 oil and therefore has less internal engine frictional losses, or less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valvetrain, which in turn promotes increased fuel economy. This increased fuel economy is virtually undetectable to the average motorist without the use of specialized engine monitoring and testing equipment under strictly controlled test track driving when compared to a 5W-30, 10W-30 or a 0W-30 viscosity motor oil.

Last edited:
I found this over on another forum when I was doing a Google search for the history of GC.... Pretty interesting....

Castrol 0W-30 is a very unique oil in that it's very fluid at colder temps, but has a tenacious oil film capability at extremely high temps. It's inherent viscosity spread would seem lots wider than the 0W-30 numbers suggest. At the center of it's unique capability is a component called an oligomer. An oligomer is a compound made from single strands (monomers) of molecular material, linked together in varying numbers less than 5, to make different fluids. Fractions of crude oil such as parrafin wax (slack wax) and polybutane (plasticizers) are examples of oligomers. The oligomer in Castrol 0W-30 is a very cutting edge synthetic fluid sourced from Ketjenlube, a big name additive supplier to the lubricant industry. The actual compound was developed by Kyocera in Japan and the formula was sold to Ketjenlube. So your German blended oil has some Asian heritage . The specific oligomer is a small cut in the overall oil make-up, right around 5% or so. It is very thick on it's own with a kinematic cSt @100c viscosity of >200. Thats pretty [censored] thick. Racing gear oils have 100c cSt of 140, so imagine trying to pour some of this stuff at room temps. You might be there awhile. Anyway, what this compound does is attach itself quite easily to all the other esters in the lube. It keeps the film together when the ester film alone would start to fail. Its what creates the "cushioning" effect and dampens noise in high shear and rotational zones such as the valve train. Thats why so many folks comment on how much quieter and smoother their engine seems to run. When 0W-30 was first introduced, it had a pronounced green tint and a sweet smell. This was due to the specific oligomer and ester content. Over time the oligomeric component became expensive, so Castrol reduced its content a bit. It bumped the more common ester content to make up for the loss and produced a fluid more golden in color without the sweet smell of the green stuff. For all intents and purposes, it was a match to the older green formula in routine applications and no UOAs (used oil analysis) have shown any discernable difference between the two. Castrol is a blender of lubricating components, (it manufactures very few on it's own) and as such, can make "miracle" fluids such as this. Exxon/Mobil is a lubricant manufacturer and usually blends components of it's own making. When it needs "help" in producing a specific fluid that it can't with it's own components, they turn to additive suppliers such as Hatco to provide what they need. Still not as broad-spectrumed as Castrol, but they are pretty [censored] close in most respects. Sorry for the long-winded chemistry lesson, but I just wanted to shed some light on what makes the 0W-30 special.

The Ketjenlube oligomers are colorless, and I have not found any other esters in either the green or gold formulations in the past. The green color was likely from an additive (some moly additives are green) or a dye. Some Ketjenlube oligomers, which are esters, have very impressive properties and are synergetic with some POEs.

Also Hatco is an ester base oil manufacturer and not an additive supplier, unless of course one considers esters used in small dosages to be additives, as some do.

Tom NJ

Does anyone know if this Ketjenlube oligomer is used in Castrol's TWS 10w-60 oil formulated for BMW's M motors? I've heard the TWS has pretty impressive film strength.

I just changed my oil again with GC (in the Toronto area, they're on sale for $6.19 a liter!) My Engine DOES run smoother AND quiter. It doesn't vibrate at idle anymore. how does oil by itself make a difference?! LOL I'm off to buy another case, haha.

What is the longest OCI anyone has done using GC and under what driving conditions? Was it mostly city or hwy driving? I do about 80% city driving and I have driven around 3,050 mi using GC. Can it last another 1000+ mi or should I change it soon? Thanks.

German Castrol is easily capable of 5k miles or longer (7.5k) OCI's with normal driving conditions as long as your car is not a known sludger and you have not been towing;driving hard or subjected it to long periods of idling.

Im running it in my Scion tC next change with a Bosch filter.

Originally Posted By: Tomcat360
What is the longest OCI anyone has done using GC and under what driving conditions? Was it mostly city or hwy driving? I do about 80% city driving and I have driven around 3,050 mi using GC. Can it last another 1000+ mi or should I change it soon? Thanks.

I've put on 6k miles on GC in mostly city driving before without problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back