Synthetic Oil Test on "TRUCKS!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone see this oil friction test on this TV show on Spike? It was very interesting to say the least. It almost had me ready to run synthetic in my new Furd just because of the frictionless properties over conventional. Still thinking about it, but, as some of you know, I got off the synthetic bandwagon last year and don't really want to go back, BUT I will say that a gallon of castrol 10w-30 is $14 from Wal-mart and Rotella 5w-40 syn is $20, so only $6 more for protection? Any thoughts or am I just going back to the sloth pile so to speak?

Well that is just B.S. The $6 more can possibly give you longer oil change intervals, Stand up to heavy loading heat and possibly better lower starting temps without aids all things considered equal . Syn oil has advantages will the advantages be used or needed. Oil keeps the parts seperated .If the oil you are useng keeps the parts seperated that is all that is needed.

Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
so only $6 more for protection? Any thoughts or am I just going back to the sloth pile so to speak?

I wouldn't say you're getting more protection per se. What you are getting is the ability to run longer intervals. If you're doing 5k on mineral, you may be able to do 10k on synthetic, so in the long run, synthetic may be less expensive, plus you're saving yourself some labor and helping save the planet (if you're a tree hugger type
grin2.gif
).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
so only $6 more for protection? Any thoughts or am I just going back to the sloth pile so to speak?

I wouldn't say you're getting more protection per se. What you are getting is the ability to run longer intervals. If you're doing 5k on mineral, you may be able to do 10k on synthetic, so in the long run, synthetic may be less expensive, plus you're saving yourself some labor and helping save the planet (if you're a tree hugger type
grin2.gif
).

If you are that worried about saving the world you shouldn't be driving!!! Oil change intervals don't make that much differende especially when the used oil is recycled for what ever way it is done. Burned as fuel os rerefined as lube.

I saw the test.

I think it certainly is valid, but only to the point at which it is intended. Unfortunately, that really isn't how things function in bearings inside a pressure fed engine.

In the test, they drip-apply oil to a running shaft, then apply a load against the shaft, and measure the amp draw on the motor as a matter of energy consumption reference.

I certainly agree that synthetic reduced friction contrasted to the dino.

But ...

Pressure fed engines run on a hyrodymanic oil wedge fed by the pump, and actually sustained by the relationship between the stationary bearing and the moving component. The test as seen on the TV show does not simulate reality, because it basically "pinches" the oil at only one point, and it is not pressure fed, but rather dragged in. A real engine develops the hydrodynamic barrier by containing the oil within its field (bearing) and using the velocity differential to push that wedge all around the bearing. Further, the oil is (as stated) pressure fed into the bearing of an engine, versus dragged in like the "test".

The TV test might be a bit more comparable to a splash-lube engine design, as oil has to be flung and misted into the bearings.

Overall, fun and impressive to watch, but not a good picture of most engines in reality, IMO.

your worried about 6 bucks???

Longer OCI capability's =less time changing oil
better cold weather flow performance
better protection in extreme hot weather and towing/turbo conditions
most times cleaner running engine with less deposits and sluge

is just a few quick ones,you would still rather save the 6 bucks?,get back on the wagon.

syn has its benefits in newer engines if you want to extend oil change intervals and if you live where the temps are zero and below but i believe in changing my oil every 4000-5000 miles anyway so syn is not needed..
Here in the shop we rebuild all kinds of engines using dino and syn and i don't see that much of a difference between the two although its hard to say 100% because by the time we get them most have over 100,000 miles anyway and you can not say for sure what oil was in there since it was new..

Originally Posted By: Steve S
If you are that worried about saving the world you shouldn't be driving!!! Oil change intervals don't make that much differende especially when the used oil is recycled for what ever way it is done. Burned as fuel os rerefined as lube.

Personally I am not worried at all, but go ask any tree hugger... I'm sure they'll give you a million reasons why extending OCIs will save the world.

I think conventional has gone up faster than synthetic. I have Mobil 1 in my truck and likely will be putting it in my car soon.

Even with recycling, I think longer OCI's use less crude. While I do care for the environment, I don't care for the leaders of many of the countries we import oil from.

Originally Posted By: daman
your worried about 6 bucks???

It is a bit more than $6 as the rotella comes in a gallon at walmart and the other oils come in 5 quart containers. That said I use synthetics because they are better at the extreme operating conditions and are better for extended drains.

I wasn't "worried" about the 6 bucks, but rather stating the cost difference. I agree with Dave in that the test probably isn't a true representation of what goes on inside an engine, but rather a cool test to see to sell Royal Purple. It was very cool to watch, and I may run RTS to see how it goes, I dunno....or juts for fun maybe? I do think though that my choice will do more than fine for the next 5k and then i will see how I feel that day when I walk in to buy oil/filter again. I may walk out with something we have never even heard of! Who knows?
50.gif

Suppose you're cruising down the interstate and happen to look down and your temp gauge is pegged out....I'd feel a lot less bad knowing I had the best synthetic in there at the time.

Well, I would hope I would notice the other problems or symptoms of OH'ing BEFORE the temp gauge pegged out?
21.gif

"Well, I would hope I would notice the other problems or symptoms of OH'ing BEFORE the temp gauge pegged out? "

You could hope so but there sometimes are no noticable symptoms...sometimes no gauge....sometimes some other gender's driving. I was driving along a couple months ago and stopped for a light and noticed steam coming from under the hood. I wouldn't have known I had a leaking heater hose if I hadn't stopped for that light.

I think my Rotella T6 might hold up a little longer than a Castrol GTX......maybe not but I think so....makes me feel better so it's worth it to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
Suppose you're cruising down the interstate and happen to look down and your temp gauge is pegged out....I'd feel a lot less bad knowing I had the best synthetic in there at the time.
Syn won't help you there. Look at how an engine is designed. And where the heat is.

Hi.

It is very interesting to see how well indoctrinated most Americans are, when it comes to dino vs syn.

Did you ever consider the fact that a phenomena called "sludge" is almost only present in America?

In Europe, where it is normal to use TRUE synthetic(group 4 & 5), and OCI of 10-20000 miles, sludge is almost non-excistent.

I don't rule out dino, but I just can not see the benefit of using a lower quality product(in most cases), unless you want to "use up" the engine, before your car rusts away.
That seem to be a frequently used excuse for not using synthetic oil.
Personally, I would like the engine to perform as it was new, the day I deliver it at the wrecker.
Isn't it better to drive a car that performs as intended?

Besides, an engine in good shape, consumes less gas(and diesel), than a [censored] one.
But I guess you think the gas is cheap?

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
I noticed with my Unimog with a MBE 906 engine with a centrifuge:
with Delo 400 15W40 the centrifuge spins audibly for 20-30 sec after shutting down when warm
with Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 it spins audibly for for 40-60 sec after warm shutdown.
Maybe it's the turbo but it is much louder on the left side of the engine where the centrifuge is, not on the right where the turbo is.
Less friction? At thermostat regulated oil temp of 78C. they have similar viscosities.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back