1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best oil to use in this car?
125,000 miles. Driven 30 miles daily mostly highway.

I want to know what is the best conventional and synthetic oil to use in this vehicle. Also a filter reccomendation if possible.

Many people love the 5w40s for the jeeps or 15w40s in warm weather. It gets pretty cold up where you live so maybe just a good 5w30 would be fine. Just from reading others posts, i believe that engine is pretty tolerant to what oil you can use. Personally i would run a 5w40 just because so many people that have that engine do and i would fell comfortable doing it. That said, i know a guy at work with that engine and he runs nothing but 5w or 10w30. i believe he has somewhere around 150k on it. Sorry i could not be more help. I think there are some pretty informative jeep forums out there.

I'd select your 5w-30 of choice in either synthetic or conventional. Much depends on how long you're going to leave it for.

The filter will vary with the length of service too.

Buy both with the idea that you're going to get your money's worth out of them.

I typically run 5W30 in my Jeeps during the winter, except my '89 Cherokee 4.0L as I was lazy and instead substituted a qt of Marvel Mystery Oil to it's 6 quart sump of Supertech 10W40. Still cranks and starts fine.

I ran Quaker State Q-Torquepower 5W30 in my '92 trail rig all through a trip out to Moab, UT. She did fine, even hitting a big sand pit in 4WD high range(which is still 35:1 + crawl ratio).

Pretty much any viscosity or flavor of your choice. 5W30 will offer nice cold weather starting and 10W30 or 10W40 is a nice summer goo.

5w40 T6 Shell Rotella is perfect all year. My buddy uses 15w40 in his 4.0 all year round. He is nearing 250k with no problems.

Originally Posted By: dgee
what should my OCI be with a good conventional/synthetic?

5k conventional, 7500 easily on Rotella T6 syn 5w40.

Originally Posted By: dgee
What is the best oil to use in this car?
125,000 miles. Driven 30 miles daily mostly highway.

I want to know what is the best conventional and synthetic oil to use in this vehicle. Also a filter reccomendation if possible.

For an absolute best it's hard to say. My choices for off the shelf oils are Rotella T 5W40 synthetic with a 8K OCI and Rotella T 15W40 conventional with a 5K OCI. I like the Wal-Mart ST oil filters, I think it's the ST1A that fits the 4.0. For not off the shelf my choice is Amsoil AMO 10W40 and 10K/one year oil changes with an Amsoil oil filter (EAO15). I have been doing this with my 4.0 Jeep since 2001.

You'll find a ton of people here who swear by the 5w40 oils in the Jeep. The reality is the vast majority of these engines run hundreds of thousands of miles using nothing but basic dino 10w30 or 5w30. I used to shop for the 5w40 until my UOA's suggested little difference from 5 or 10w30 and my oil pressure was too high too long for my comfort in the wintertime. Now I get the advantage of keeping the same oil in all three of my vehicles with no issues. A decent dino will do fine a 5,000 mile OCI unless some other circumstance (extreme dust or stop n go short tripping) warrants it.

With mine hot idle oil pressure was to low with 5W30. Even with the 10W40 cold oil pressure is the same as 5W30, never above 50. Hot idle with 5W30 was less than 10psi and 10W40 it's about 20psi and both cruise down the road at about 40osi hot. I'm equating hot to an hours drive in the summer with the A/C on pull a couple of motorcycles. Short trips around town I might not have ever noticed the difference.

5W30
10W30
5W40
10W40
or 15W40?!

oh my i am SO confused
54.gif

In a Jeep 4.0 they all work well. It's really down to personal choice. I like the 40's in a 4.0 and others like the 30's. As for the best who knows...

HAHA.

Welcome to BITOG. Just pick one, I'd ONLY ever use the 15-40 in the summer time, I find in my 2.5L that anything above 10-x0 causes lifter tick. I use 10-30 or 10-40, the later in the summer time. No need for expensive synthetics. Go with a 5k OCI if your not doing anything severe. I do 3k in my jeep just beacause it only sees short trips and offroad.

If your doing mainly highway go with a 5k OCI, if your doing short trips go 3k, if you offroad it go 3k.

Oh and stay away from frams, I get worse lifter tick with them. The Supertechs dont give me any lifter tick.

Last edited:
Driven 30 miles daily mostly highway might not be enough info. Do you tow? Punch it from stoplight to stoplight? Go with a 40 if there's a lot of weight directly behind the rear bumper or accelerator pedal. If you drive easy and keep the RPM's low..........

In our cold climate, 5w40 was simply too thick for my tastes. Cold starts the pressure would start at 70 psi or so and stay there for a very long time. I do agree that is held pressue better in hot summer weather, but even running 5w30 my pressue stayed around 25 psi when hot at idle. At speed, the 5w40 would consistently run around 60 psi, while the 5w30 / 10w30 is more like 50 psi.

Of course, all of this is on the notoriously inaccurate factory gauge, so take it with a grain of salt.

In your climate and driving, I'd be just fine with a quality 10w30 on a 5000 mile OCI. A 5w40 will also work, just be harder to find relative to the 5/10w30s (still not that bad to get) and cost more. Your choice!

I ran M1 10W30 for over the last 100k miles on my over 200k mile 4.0L. Was running great when I got rid of it. Tried M1 10W30 HM and got lifter tick on startup, I don't remember what brand or if I switched filters I used so it could have been the filter causing the startup noise.

I have a co-worker who is about to hit 300,000 in his 1995 Gr. Cherokee. He's had his oil changed at various shops around town that use 5W and 10W-30. He's paid attention to getting his oil changed when it's due, but not a lot to what was used.

The moral of the story is that many oils will work perfectly fine in this engine. I'd go with any brand 5W-30 or 10W-30 and not worry any more about it. (I have a 2001 Cherokee with 134K that has Valvoline 10W-30 in it. Also has had Havoline, DuraBlend, Pennzoil, Q-Torgue and Quaker State in it the last few years.)

Another vote for Rotella T Synthetic 5w40. The Jeep 4.0 thrives on it. Check the UOA forum for results- they're always very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back