2004 Mazda 6 burning oil.???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, A friend of mine has a Mazda 6 with the 2.3 liter engine.

I spoke to him yesterday, and he said he's burning over 1 quart in 5K.

I've heard of SOME of these engines burning a little oil due to their design, just wondering if that was considered high.

Can he go to a light 30 weight? Also, what would be considered a "heavy" 20 weight. Its been a while since Ive looked up cst's.

Thanks,

Ryan

Yea, its probably nothing. I know thats in the comfort zone for the dealer, its just more than Ive heard them burn.

Ryan

If he started loosing oil suddenly, then I would check the oil filter housing for leaks. This is very common when the housing is overtorqued.

Otherwise 1 qt every 5k miles isn't something that one should worry about. I would keep monitoring oil level to see if the consumption increases.

Same stuff as we are in my wifes Mazda 3

Amsoil XL 5w20. Seems great for her, so I'm sure its not the oil.

I didnt ask him, maybe he drives the heck out of it. He's a pretty level guy though, but....you never know.

Last edited:
My 2005 Mazda6 2.3L does not consume one drop of oil after 7500 miles drain intervals(currently I use 5W20 PP), I would agree with KrisZ, check the oil filter housing for potential leaks.

Last edited:
GTX 5W-20 is 9.0 cst. Valvoline makes Maxlife in a 5W-20, it's 8.8 cst, but IT might help consumption.

If he/you like Amsoil, ASM is 9.0 cst as well. Just some ideas.

Since you're in Canada, is that 1 quart in 5k miles or KM???

Top it off with MMO when it burns. At least you can tell the MMO ppl here you tried it if it doesn't work. Every MMO post seems to have some kind of miracle or something.

If you want a heavy 5w20, then use Redline or Castrol Syntec
If you want a light Xw30, then use either Castrol EDGE 5w30, Castrol Syntec 5w30, or be a good BITOG guinea pig and use G-Oil 5w30 =)

He wanted to experiment with a different cSt.

XL 5w20 has 8.5 cSt and PP 5w20 has 8.48 cSt

For 5w30s, he wanted a light one.

Syntec 5w30 is 9.7 cSt while PP 5w30 is 10.3

Thanks guys. I'll tell him to try the Syntec or 0w20 Amsoil. I'll get him to double check his filter housing as well.

He works part time at the local partsource, so I'm sure he wont have trouble finding something!

PT1, what didnt you like about the XL line? I've heard, and seen nothing but positive things about it. Plus ALL the UOA's Ive seen have been great.

Last edited:
I had a focus with basically the same engine.. it used about .25qt/7000 miles.. basically nothing
and it had a manual transmission and I wasnt afraid of 6k shifts after it was fully warmed up.

Last edited:
Yeah, youve got me. Who knows?

All I DO know is that theyre a pretty tough motor. Theyre used in racing extensively, and they hold HUGE amounts of boost in turboe'd form.

Not sure whats up with Jim's.

I have a 2003 2.3 and do 100% short runs, burn no oil 4,000 oci. Use Castrol products and am very happy with their oils. Try that idea with your friend.
19.gif

Will do. Syntec 5w20 might be a good choice for him if he wants to stay with syn. GTX I'd be would work great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sangyup81
Top it off with MMO when it burns. At least you can tell the MMO ppl here you tried it if it doesn't work. Every MMO post seems to have some kind of miracle or something.

If you want a heavy 5w20, then use Redline or Castrol Syntec
If you want a light Xw30, then use either Castrol EDGE 5w30, Castrol Syntec 5w30, or be a good BITOG guinea pig and use G-Oil 5w30 =)

what exactly does MMO do in the engine?

if there's something that needs to be cleaned that is causing the issues then MMO could help

it's cheap enough that it doesn't hurt much to try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back