Honda Pilot 2006 - First time ATF Drain Refill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to get a consensus on a dilemma.

Guy working for me has a 2006 Honda Pilot, with 93K miles. The trans has never been serviced, ie. 1x drain, refill every 2 years after 36K miles. He planned on going to a dealer to get trans service today.

I told him before he went to the dealer, to avoid the flush that many dealers push, the BG flush OR the "Honda flush", which is the 3x drain/refill. Told him to just go for the 1x drain refill, do another drain refill late this summer, and probably do a third one late this year. Since his AT was never serviced, the 1x drain/refill would allow a gentle cleaning of the trans.

He brought the truck to the dealer whom I trust and they told him that it's a 50/50 shot that the trans will be okay after the first drain/refill. They told him the choice was his as to whether he wanted to do it. He backed out of the service.

That said if it was your truck, what would YOU do?

Last edited:
I think you have a good plan it's going to have to be done sometime soon and dealer might be a little high of things going wrong at 50% I would say less than 5%

Im confused, is it shifting fine now? If so, I see no reason why the dealer couldn't/wouldn't do the 1x drain.

I've had it done 3 times on an 01 Civic with ~136k, the last one I did it myself. The first 2 times I had it done at a private shop specializing in Hondas. DIY not hard, doesn't even require a lift, just a 3/8 wratchet on the Civic.

IMO, dealer is full of hooey, looking for a score. The 1x drain is not going to hurt the tranny. Get the 1x done elsewhere or DIY. Run for a period of time, then do it again.

There's nothing wrong with the BG flush. IT simply removes all of the fluid.

Transmission fluid isn't going to do any "cleaning."

Thanks for the replies so far.

The trans appears to be shifting fine, as far as I could tell when riding in the truck. I just think the dealer is covering their backside or being honest, perhaps a bit conservative.

As for doing it himself, well I told him it's pretty easy to do. Just need to make sure that he has to break the fill bolt loose FIRST. It would not be nice if he couldn't break it loose AFTER draining the 3+ quarts.

As for the BG, I disagree that it simply removes the fluid. I believe they add chemicals to "clean" the system.. Honda recommends a 3x drain/refill as the equivalent to a "flush", which I believe to be safer..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: momomeister
As for the BG, I disagree that it simply removes the fluid. I believe they add chemicals to "clean" the system.. Honda recommends a 3x drain/refill as the equivalent to a "flush", which I believe to be safer..

Oops, I forgot to add that to the previous post. When they do the BG flush, just tell them to not add the chemicals.

I think you were on the right train of thought.

I'd do a drain/fill three times over a few thousand miles, probably one per oil change for the next three. I wouldn't leave it, and I really wouldn't be that worried about it.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Oops, I forgot to add that to the previous post. When they do the BG flush, just tell them to not add the chemicals.

Also, are those machines "pushing" the fluid (pressurizing the system) through and not using the ATF pump to pump the fluid through? By pressuring the system, couldn't that potentially damage the system?

What everyone else said. I agree with your strategy. This is what I do on my Accord, but it's new - change 3 quarts of AT Z1 at every oil change.

I would encourage him to install a magnefine filter, then start doing the drains/fills. Have him install another one sometime earlier than recommended of 1 year (say, 6 months, or after the 2nd drain/fill). I installed mine on the return line and that's what would be recommended for him.

Also, Honda has an in-line filter that he might want to consider changing. Most people never change it but you'll have to look up the part number.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1766448

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1733901

Hope this helps.

Also, are those machines "pushing" the fluid (pressurizing the system) through and not using the ATF pump to pump the fluid through? By pressuring the system, couldn't that potentially damage the system?

The BG and Wynn's machines may have a very small pump that keeps the fluid flowing in low-flow transmissions such as the Toyota AW units. By no means are these pumps powerful enough to be considered as a "power flush," as I have been told that you can stop the pump's fluid flow with your pinkie.

excuse me but I OWNED a B&G machine!

No pump of any kind, just a bladder and a can in a box!

And you have to add the chemicals, there is no provision for that on the machine.

Also note that the newer formulations of ATF do have cleaning agents in them. They can most definitely 'clean'!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
And you have to add the chemicals, there is no provision for that on the machine.

I don't understand this statement. Can you clarify?

see post #1766208. I was just pointing out that there was no provision on my machine for putting chemicals into the fluid.

You have to add them separately

A fluid change or flush will not kill a transmission.
But, a fluid change will not rebuild or repair a malfunctioning transmission either.

So, I would definitely start a drain/refill regimen, like at every oil change.

And, I would read the factory service manual, or Hondacura specific forums, for info regarding inline ATF filters, VB screens.... that might be serviceable or replaceable! Most dealers will be ignorant concerning ATF filters. So, its best to research it online so that you can either point it out on their 'microfiche' or plop the filter down on the parts counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back