Renting a Bike in Hawaii

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to Hawaii (Oahu, Maui and the big island) for a few weeks. Leaving Sunday. Anyone ever rent a bike there? Any recommendations re rentals and where to ride.

Already have a car rental and a few helicopter tours lined up. Thought it would be nice to do a bit of cruising too.

if you're up for a real ride - you can rent a mountain bike to ride down the mountainside. and what a ride it is!

Yep. I was on Oahu. Tried to rent a bike. Only had my temps, so all I got was a moped. Still a lot of fun.

Have a good time, it's not hard.

I rented from Big Kahuna in Waikiki. Their bikes are "well used", but even the rather haggard 883 Sportster I rented worked OK I guess. I wasn't too impressed with the riding in Oahu, and I put on over 200 miles in one day pretty much doing a lap of the island: too much traffic, too much town riding, etc. Maybe the big island is better. Still, it's worth doing. I recommend riding around the eastern end of the island then all way out on the north shore until the road runs out. The H3 is quite scenic too.

Originally Posted By: tuonoboy
I rented from Big Kahuna in Waikiki. Their bikes are "well used", but even the rather haggard 883 Sportster I rented worked OK I guess. I wasn't too impressed with the riding in Oahu, and I put on over 200 miles in one day pretty much doing a lap of the island: too much traffic, too much town riding, etc. Maybe the big island is better. Still, it's worth doing. I recommend riding around the eastern end of the island then all way out on the north shore until the road runs out. The H3 is quite scenic too.

Thanks for the input.

We'll be driving from Waikoloa over the north shore to Hilo and do the helo tour when we get there. Then we're doing the night tour of Volcanoes National park then back to Hilo. Next morning we'll drive back to Waikoloa via the south eastern route. That will be covering the shoreline of the entire
big island. Unfortunately, it will be by car. We have plenty of time on Oahu and Maui. I might take a look at a bike rental on one of them.

There is a Harley dealer in Maui. If you rent from him DO NOT ride to Hana or on the steep one lane sides of the mountains. The number there is 808-877-RIDE. The dealers in Honolulu are Cycle City 808-831-2600,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PT1
There is a Harley dealer in Maui. If you rent from him DO NOT ride to Hana or on the steep one lane sides of the mountains. The number there is 808-877-RIDE. The dealers in Honolulu are Cycle City 808-831-2600,

Thanks for that PT1.

Good advice regarding traveling on difficult road on an unfamiliar machine. I'll probably be sticking to the coast line.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Originally Posted By: PT1

Thanks for that PT1.

Good advice regarding traveling on difficult road on an unfamiliar machine. I'll probably be sticking to the coast line.

It's not the road as you could easily navagate the road to Hana on a bike...it's the other idiots on the road.

Last edited:
Can hardly wait to hear your unbiased perspective on well-worn rental HD's upon your return.

I did a bike rental a couple of years ago in Honolulu. It was from a shop down 'Seaside' street. We went along the Eastern edge to the North Shore & back on the expressway. It was pretty good. Be sure & gear up for possible rain no matter how the weather looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back