09 6.7 UOA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i just got my first UOA back from Caterpillar. What do these #s mean??? 11,000 on truck 6,000 on the oil. Rotella15-40
2009 CTD 6.7 my 2nd oil change on the truck, 1st UOA. They didnt give me a TBN ? I am running an AMSOIL air filter since @ 500 miles too. Good or bad report here ??

copper---------- 12
iron--------------64
chromium---------1
alum.-------------5
lead--------------1
tin---------------0
SILICON-----------10---(amsoil filter since new)
sodium-----------7
potassium--------16
molybdenum------5
nickel-------------0
calcium-----------2262
magnesium--------103
zinc--------------1241
phosphorus-------1042
----------------------
soot-------------6
oxidation---------20
nitrate-----------7
sulfation---------21
water------------NEGATIVE
antifreeze--------NEGATIVE
fuel--------------NEGATIVE
VISCOSITY-------13.8

Welcome to BITOG! On a new engine ,copper, iron,aluminum,numbers are normal break- in and since its a Cummins you've got a ways to go before she's fully broke in. On my DT466, I did'nt see reduced oil consumption till about 100k .Your addpack, ca,mg,zn,p(phos),sodium ,potassium look as it should .Ya really cant go wrong with Rotella.Congrats on the truck.Great drivline,too.

Last edited:
This was my 2nd oil change , so im not too concerned with the #s yet. I just wanted to see what it looked like on fuel dillution. Once i get a few more hard miles on it, i will keep a closer eye on things.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
What is the units of soot?
6% is very high.
6 ppm is very low.

Charlie

well, im new to UOAs but the sheet says....The top 15 were ppm and from soot down it was listed as (particle count)ct/ml
I wish i knew more info to tell you guys but sorry im so new to these. The amsoil air filter was only on there for the last 4000 miles. I looked at the lid and the filter seems to seal very well.

Originally Posted By: daman
yup looks in order...stayed a nice 40w too.

How can you tell its still 40 wt ? What tells you this info ? I have no clue what these #s mean really. I have read the cheatsheet thread on here but thatwas greek to me. I know the metal counts means wearing out of parts but what other #s should i really keep an eye on once i get it broke in ?? Thanks

Originally Posted By: mikeshauling

How can you tell its still 40 wt ? What tells you this info ? I have no clue what these #s mean really. I have read the cheatsheet thread on here but thatwas greek to me. I know the metal counts means wearing out of parts but what other #s should i really keep an eye on once i get it broke in ?? Thanks

Viscosity is measured in cSt (centistokes) - sometimes. 40 viscosity oil is 12.5 to 16.29 cSt@ 100C. Multiviscosity oils frequently "shear" - i.e. lose high temp viscosity. Yours has not lost much so far.
The 6 common "wear metals" are listed on top: Cu, Fe, Al, Cr, Pb, Sn.
If you plan long oil change intervals try to get TBN (total base number) done for extra $, that is one of the best measures of oil "wearing out".

Charlie

I am gonna start getting my UOA done elsewhere so i can get the TBN #s but i had 2 free cat UOAs so i used this one mainly to see if i had any fuel in my oil. I will send the other one in after a couple more changes. I had 6000 on this sample, so i will go 7000 then change the oil and filter then on my next 7000 i will send in the other free sample and try to get a TBN. Which lab do you guys recommend to start using ? I hear amsoil gives free tbn with their OUAs. Blackstone is another i hear alot about. Who does the best for the best price ????

Thanks for all the help guys. I wish they did a TBN but i didnt know that some didnt offer this. I will keep reading on the UOA threads to get informed better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back