coolant recomendation for nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2007 350z. What's a good coolant to use? Nissan wants 25 a gallon for there extended life coolant which I think Is way too much, what othere choices are there. It has prestone in it right now I think its extended life came from our bulk container at work. It says universal also

If I didn't elect to get the Nissan coolant, I'd at least run the Zerex AVF. G-05 or Green would work, maybe even Peak Global, but if it was my car I'd only use the OE or Zerex AVF.

That's fine but even so that is no guarantee that there wouldn't be any problems with the 3.5 in a Z. Has Prestone even been marketing Dexcool as a universal for that long? 12 years ago Havoline was the main Dexcool available.

Originally Posted By: finalyzd
Have a 2007 350z. What's a good coolant to use? Nissan wants 25 a gallon for there extended life coolant which I think Is way too much, what othere choices are there. It has prestone in it right now I think its extended life came from our bulk container at work. It says universal also
Personal experience having an 03 Altima, I agree with you. I checked the price myself this week and that was the quote. Some are being quoted $31.
shocked2.gif

And, understand that Nissan recommends 2yrs/30k maintenance interval, no matter the coolant used. That is a fairly short interval to have to be concerned about whether the coolant is long life or not.

If you don't want to use pricey silicate free Nissan proprietary, there are choices, but limitations to each.

A.)Zerex Asian Formula sounds good, and it is Asian recommended silicate free. Problem, only comes in premix, which means if you can't find or reach block drains, it is vitually impossible to great a 50% or greater coolant concentration with a flush.

B.)Peak Global Life universal non-2eha formula would seems good alternative, and is asian recommended silicate free. Problem, it's very tough to find in full strength. Perhaps your Napa dealer has it,(mine doesn't) or can get it for you at a reasonable price.

C.)Traditional green, can take some effort to find. Napa dealer may have it or some AAP's under Peak name. Saw some under Chevron Supreme name in a local grocery story. But, it contains some silicates and but would fit the short 2yr interval.

D.)G-05 contains silicates, but can be found full strength Zerex brand and Motorcraft Gold. JMO, but I'd pick the traditional green before G-05 for a Nissan with the 2yr interval.

E.)The universal silicate free coolants Prestone EL and Peak Long Life. Easy to find in full strength at a reasonable price, and what I've used for ~4yrs now with a total flush and no issues in my Altima and since dumping the Nissan OE. However, they do contain 2eha, which has shown some issues with intake gaskets in some GM cars. Haven't seen any documented issues in Nissan's using them with the 2yr/30k interval.

HTH.

Fynalyzd are you seriously considering a less alterantive? Hello I mean Hello McFly.....Here is my senario 1990 toyota 240k. I went to the school[of hard knocks] on this one. Did not flush got a great deal on dexcool $2 gallon mixed with distilled water spent the money there lol. As stated in many places here in these forums there must have been a war going on in the cooling system. The short story? Going out today to do damage control....I probably cooked my $350 hoopti. To the Un-educated pay the money for the Dealer stuff their job is to Cover.Your.A%%. and protect their owner from law suits. To the educated here at this site thank you. Thank you for being opinionated.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
That's fine but even so that is no guarantee that there wouldn't be any problems with the 3.5 in a Z. Has Prestone even been marketing Dexcool as a universal for that long? 12 years ago Havoline was the main Dexcool available.

I don't know how long DexCool has been marketed because I don't use it, never have. I have used Prestone (not Dexcool) for 12 years. Maybe the formula has changed but I bought the Prestone in Wally World the whole time.....

Originally Posted By: rewote500
I have used Prestone in my Nissan for 12 years with no problem.....

People keep saying that, but Prestone COMPLETELY changed chemistries about 5-6 years ago. The new has nothing in common with the old except the base fluid (glycol- which all of them are except low-tox and Evans waterless). If you're using Prestone in your Nissan since the change, you've actually been using a DexCool clone. If it were mine, I wouldn't be doing that!

Originally Posted By: rewote500
I have used Prestone (not Dexcool) for 12 years.

Again... for about the past 5-8 years Prestone has been chemically equivalent to DexCool. I forget when the change was- I just remember the "Big yella is takin' over, works in all makes all models" ad campaign which was only slightly less idiotic than "think with yer dipstick."

Last edited:
It really worked out for Prestone that their original "green" was gold dyed,so when they switched to a yellow Dexcool labeled an all makes extended life, a first glance one wouldn't think they were getting dexcool lol.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
It really worked out for Prestone that their original "green" was gold dyed,so when they switched to a yellow Dexcool labeled an all makes extended life, a first glance one wouldn't think they were getting dexcool lol.

Yes, but the new stuff doesn't quite have that same irridescent almost glow-in-the-dark green-under-yellow hue that the original had. Nothing else was quite like the old Prestone.

you can get zerex asian formula coolant at napa.
It's a 50/50 prefix, that's the only way it comes.

napa might not have it stocked on the shelf,
if not tell them to order it. That's what i did.
I think it was $17/gallon, I need 2 gallons for my 2005 altima.

Nissan has a new super long-life coolant that is good for 10 years or 135,000 miles. It is blue-colored. You should have a fluid exchange done with this coolant.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Nissan has a new super long-life coolant that is good for 10 years or 135,000 miles. It is blue-colored. You should have a fluid exchange done with this coolant.

Does it mess up Cooling systems like DexCool orange? lol!

All of the Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Mazda long life and super long life coolants are P-OAT coolants formulated by CCI; they have nothing in common with Dex-Cool.

Motorcraft now sells Japanese super long life coolant (Mazda FL22) as Motorcraft Specialty Green Coolant, which Ford recently adopted for use in engines jointly developed with Mazda. In contrast to Mazda FL22, it is reportedly available in full strength form. I haven't priced it, but I suspect it is cheaper than Nissan branded coolant.

Mazda recommends changing FL22 in new vehicles after 10 years/120,000 miles.

OK, Nissan wants $25 for their coolant, and the interval is something like 2 yrs before you have to do this again. Is that something like $12.50 a year to know you have the correct coolant in a car that's worth $???? On the other hand, it's already got "univeral" Prestone in it ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back