Generac Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
These Snow storms and ice storms have pushed me too far... I broke down and bought a
Generac Portable Generator... GP5500... Have not even put oil in it yet... Just out of the box tonight. Manual calls for SAE 30 above 40degF... 5W-30 synthetic below 10degF... we have major storms coming in again in a few days... I was thinking either 5W-40 RTS or GC-0W30 or PP-10W-30. This generator will be used with our 5th wheel also during our camping trips.

Would like to know any opinions of other generator owners.

A friend is a certified Generac repareman and he uses M1 5-30 in all his PM work. Says this is what he was told to use at Generac maintainance school in Wisc.

Thanks Tig for your reply! I just wanted some other options besides the single 30wt. I was going to use synthetic... I will use a reg dino 5W-30 to break it in for the first 8hours, then change and switch to a synthetic for the remainder of the life of the generator.

B&S allows the M1 5W-30 I put in my generator over any temperature we will see here. Not sure how long I ran the factory fill.

Last edited:
This generator was not factory filled with oil... although they did recommend after the first 8 hours change your oil.

Originally Posted By: tig1
A friend is a certified Generac repareman and he uses M1 5-30 in all his PM work. Says this is what he was told to use at Generac maintainance school in Wisc.

I own a larger 13kw, natural gas fueled, standby Generac. In cold weather, M1 0W30 or 5W30 is all you need. But in hot weather, the story changes (I don't care what the Generac repairman tells you. Heres the revised grades:

Product Grade Comment
Castrol 0W30 (GC) A Grade A in cold weather also
Mobil 1 10W40 motocycle oil A

Mobil 1 0W30/5W30 B- Will get "consumed" or and oil level will drop
after about 30 hours of no power.

I am running a 50/50 mix of Mobil 1R 0W30 and Mobil 1 4T 10W40 in mine this winter. We are talking of a less than 2 qt oil capacity. here.

Originally Posted By: Best F100

I own a larger 13kw, natural gas fueled, standby Generac. In cold weather, M1 0W30 or 5W30 is all you need. But in hot weather, the story changes (I don't care what the Generac repairman tells you.

Agreed. For summer use, a 40wt will probably give you longer engine life. Generac makes a great engine/generator. There's lots of commercial equipment out there with Generac singles and V-twins.

b77a3cc9-43a2-4507-b4d6-8b8f36b716fb_300.jpg

Image11.jpg

51750.jpg

Joel

Last edited:
Break it in (5-8hrs)on the 30w after that i highly recommend a synthetic mine was a bear trying to start(pull)it in the cold months with the 30w,dumped some ACD 10w30/30w in and it pulls over good now.

Best-JTK-daman:Thank u all for your important info...I had plans on using the supplied 30wt for breakin 8hours, then I will switch to synthetic. Mind u the generator will be kept in the garage, where the temp never drops below 45deg F... and will be used only in emergency situations... but I will start and run the generator once or twice a month... for at least 1 hour. But it will be used on camping trips during the summer months quite often.

I will for sure use either a 0W-30 - 10W-30 - 5W-30 for winter use. Granted it hopefully won't be use much. What brand? I have alot of choices...

For Summer- I might drain and switch to Amsoil 10W-40 or a 5W-40 RTS or M1 TDT. Oil change is not expensive at all... and easy. So this is something I'm not to worried about.

The Generac will receive the best of maintanence habits.

I will also add stay-bil {didn't spell that right} to the fuel also. During the summer months maybe an oz or two of MMO & Fuel Power, from Lube Control. Since I use their products anyway.

Thanks Again to all of U... Any other thoughts or ideas are more then appriciated... This my first generator, so the more advice is more then welcome.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
These Snow storms and ice storms have pushed me too far... I broke down and bought a
Generac Portable Generator... GP5500... Have not even put oil in it yet... Just out of the box tonight. Manual calls for SAE 30 above 40degF... 5W-30 synthetic below 10degF... we have major storms coming in again in a few days... I was thinking either 5W-40 RTS or GC-0W30 or PP-10W-30. This generator will be used with our 5th wheel also during our camping trips.

Would like to know any opinions of other generator owners.

Perhaps take a look at Amsoil ASE too. Its formula accounts for engines which are run infrequently or stored a lot (lots of corrosion inhibitors etc...)

It's a syn base with no VIIs, so it wins both SAE30 and 10W30 ratings.

Presuming that the power doesn't go out frequently in the winter where you are, you won't have a lot of "cold starts" compared to your run time. By this I mean that if the power is out long enough to bother hooking up and starting the portable genset, you'll be out for a while. Once it's warmed up, all of the 30s will be the same.

Last edited:
i would recommend Amsoil either ACD or ASE for that application,get your self a gallon that would last you years.

how much does it hold 1 qt???

I've taken to running Mobil 1 5-40 Turbo diesel Truck oil in some of my air cooled equipment (similar req to yours). I also run it in my Jaguar X-Type (calls for 5-30).

However, here in South Florida, air cooled, hard running generators need quality oil with sufficient viscosity. Mobil 1 15-50 is the ticket here. Cold weather, 5-40 TDT is a great choice.

Excellent UOA results with both oils BTW!

One thing to consider about generators. They may end up running at high loads for weeks. The oil choice needs to be robust. Oil changes need to be regular too. Lawn mowers, even commercial ones, always shut down and cool off. Not so with generators. I'll say it again, we saw so many generator failures down here it was not funny. Most were running something like 5-30 auto oil. It's not good enough for heavy use.

Years back, I used 2 Honda water pumps during construction, 24/7. I used Penz auto oil. Both pumps failed. One actually broke through the block!. I changed the oil regularly (every 2 days) but that was not the only problem. The issue was heat. Mobil 1 15-50 solved the problem. (yes both were covered under warr). Generators are no different.

Bottom line: Mobil 1 5-40 TDT, all seasons. It's full of necessary ZDDP, has high TBN, an ultra robust oil, proven performance in air cooled equip. In fact, I don't believe you can find a better oil on the face of the planet.

Last edited:
Yes 1qt. Ya I have many options for oil... Amsoil is an option for sure... Helps that I'm a PC. We have major storms coming in today... I have had the gen running for the last 2 hours with no load... Am close too 8hours... will just run to AZ and pick up a qt of M1 or PP or Castrol and change it out this evening. Before these ice and snow storms come in... and this spring... change the oil to prob Amsoil, before camping season...

I know any of these oils will do a great job protecting my investment. Thanks to all of U... still anymore advice is more then welcome. I've always open for advice.

Cujet: Thank U for that very helpfull info... I still am thinking about going with 5W-40 syn either M1-RTS-Amsoil. Thanks Again for that advice.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Can you buy just their engines?

Sure. You can get a 15hp like this for about $700. A V-twin is about $1700+.

Image11.jpg

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back