Throttle-by-wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: boraticus
Fuel injection meters the fuel more precisely when responding to varying engine demands. With a carburetor, when a full throttle application is applied, excess fuel will be provided and likely not thoroughly burned. With EFI, the fuel is measured much more accurately to meet the load/demand that the engine requires. It pretty much provides better fuel economy and likely better power delivery for fuel burnt. Not sure if I'd go as far to say that more power will result from fuel injection. Just a better match for fuel delivered to meet power required.

You have obviously never tuned and re-mapped a fuel injected bike. You can actually increase the volumetric efficiency and air/fuel ratio of each cylinder. So more air & fuel in and out equals more power. With a carb you can re-jet but that is a close as you can get.

This was the question asked:

"Do you not get less fuel dilution with the run-of-the-mill fuel injection system? Better fuel economy? A bit more horsepower?"

I don't believe he asked anything about mapping.

"BUT....just wait until the other shoe drops --- EPA regulations are going to require cats in another few years. No more loud exhausts"

Harley might as well lay down the tools when that happens. Noise is their signature. Isn't it?

No power + no noise = no bike.

Willie G's disciples will be pulling out the BIG koolaid drums when that happens!!!!

"BUT....just wait until the other shoe drops --- EPA regulations are going to require cats in another few years. No more loud exhausts"

Harley might as well lay down the tools when that happens. Noise is their signature. Isn't it?

Willie G's disciples will be pulling out the BIG koolaid drums when that happens!!!!

Borat...cats have been in for 2 years now. A pair of pliers takes em right out.

Fuel injection meters the fuel more precisely when responding to varying engine demands. With a carburetor, when a full throttle application is applied, excess fuel will be provided and likely not thoroughly burned. With EFI, the fuel is measured much more accurately to meet the load/demand that the engine requires. It pretty much provides better fuel economy and likely better power delivery for fuel burnt. Not sure if I'd go as far to say that more power will result from fuel injection. Just a better match for fuel delivered to meet power required.

You have obviously never tuned and re-mapped a fuel injected bike. You can actually increase the volumetric efficiency and air/fuel ratio of each cylinder. So more air & fuel in and out equals more power. With a carb you can re-jet but that is a close as you can get.

This was the question asked:

"Do you not get less fuel dilution with the run-of-the-mill fuel injection system? Better fuel economy? A bit more horsepower?"

I don't believe he asked anything about mapping.

Mapping is how it is all controlled. You really should take a look at a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner. You would be amazed at the level of sophistication built into a $300 tuner you can run on your home computer and tune your entire bike with.

I bought a small Echo chainsaw a couple years ago that had a catalytic converter in the muffler. Took me half an hour with a drill and a Dremmel to get it out. Once it was removed and I made a couple minor carb adjustments, it became a totally different saw.

What a load of c. r. @ p. putting a catalytic converter on a machine that might burn a gallon of fuel a year?????

Borat: what you fail to understand is that I can take my stage 1 dyno tuned Harley low rider and convert it back to bone stock in 1 hour or less. Here is what I have to do:

1. R&R the SE air filter with the stock one (15 minutes)
2. R&R the slip on SEII mufflers with the stock EPA ones (30 min)
3. Upload the factory ECM map to the ECM...(10 min)

That is it....so sorry...no big Kool Aid drums. Not now not ever.

You're saying that all Harleys have cats? They aren't mandated yet, but they soon will be.

All 2010 HD Touring models all CVO models for all 50 states have a catalytic converter. Some are in the head pipe some are in the mufflers. Some have both (yes 3)
2009 all the CVO models had converters and I believe all models sold for California for the past 4 years have had converters also.

What happens when they start to do tailpipe checks? You can't pass those w/o the cats. I'm pretty sure they have started doing checks in CA.

Originally Posted By: ZGRider

What happens when they start to do tailpipe checks? You can't pass those w/o the cats. I'm pretty sure they have started doing checks in CA.

I don't live in Ca. They don't check bikes in my State. In fact few states check them. The police here will stick a nightstick in the exhaust to check for baffles that is about it. Maybe in 100 years they will do it here but I doubt it. You guys really don't know jack squat about the technology available for Harley Davidson motorcycles now. You would be amazed. Like I said...I can take a Stage 1 modified Harley and convert it back to EPA ready smog checkable stock condition in 1 hour. Very easy with a race tuner which is NOT a PCIII.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back