A Little Over Filled OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This last OCI I added 3 +/- quarts but the dipstick seemed shy of the mark so I added some twice, and I think it's now over the mark. Is this OK? I may have smelled a little oil burning due to this. Next time I think I'll add 2.8 qts measured.

As long as it's not so full that the crank is sloshing around it shouldn't pose any problems. If the crank was sloshing the oil you would usually feel a little power loss and possibly see oil pressure drop if it airates.

No harm, no foul, most likely. I will over or under fill to a convenient portion of a quart, rather than sweat the minute little level.

Grossly overfilling is a bad thing; oil gets whipped up (aerated). Run the engine to temp. Quickly shut down and pull the dipstick and check. If no froth, you'll be fine.

OK will do. I had a feeling I could have left it at a dab under full and not done any harm. It may have looked to be a tad below when in fact it wasn't, possibly due to my not being parked in a real level spot.

Thanks for the responses.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm careful not to overfill at all. Oil gets sucked into the PCV system and can foul it. An intake's valve actuators can get gunked.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
i did the same thing and was gonna ask.. i have about 8 oz too much. no biggie?

8oz over is nothing to be concerned about.

I doubt if I'm more than 8 oz over. I'm going to try to find a pump that will remove a sample of oil for UOA without draining any of the oil. If I can find one that's not $30 I might remove a little of it to make it closer to the full mark. If not, I have a feeling it will be OK. Time will tell.

Originally Posted By: AdRock

8oz over is nothing to be concerned about.

+1 for years I added 5 qts of oil to a 4.5 qt Ford sump, no problems to report.

Walmart DOUBLE FILLED my '95 Chevy pickup once, back-when. I drove 60+ miles before it was corrected. No ill effects. With that in mind, a qt. or less is absolutely insignificant. I am sure there is a built in margin of tolerance in the engine design.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
I'm going to try to find a pump that will remove a sample of oil for UOA without draining any of the oil. If I can find one that's not $30 I might remove a little of it to make it closer to the full mark.

The multi siphon/pump at Walmart has a tube that will remove oil through the dipstick. I don't remember the cost but it was definitely under 30

I had a Sentra 1.8 ...it won't hurt it, I did it all the time.

Plus the QG18 needs it, it specs only 2.9 quarts... I really recommend never taking this car to any quick-lube place, they will assume it's like the other compacts and put in 4quarts or more... now THAT is grossly overfilling it.

Originally Posted By: MrWideTires
I had a Sentra 1.8 ...it won't hurt it, I did it all the time.

Plus the QG18 needs it, it specs only 2.9 quarts... I really recommend never taking this car to any quick-lube place, they will assume it's like the other compacts and put in 4quarts or more... now THAT is grossly overfilling it.

Has anyone with one of these engines tried running 4 quarts to see if it's ok? If I had one of those engines I'd try to squeeze every last possible ounce of oil into it, as that specified capacity just seems so tiny!! I can't imagine those engines could handle long drain intervals with such a small amount of oil, it would degrade so much faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back