Your M/C OCIs and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about sharing your motorcycle OCIs and other specifics?

I usually change the oil in my streetbikes between 3-5k miles, and I use RTS or Amsoil and Wix filters.

The variance because of the distance of the rides, some rides are too long to change at 3k, so I wait until I get home.

If this has been posted before, then consider this an updated version

Last edited:
I usually use Rotella 15W40 or Delvac 15W40 in a bandit 1250 which is a 1255cc inline 4...I usually change it at around 2,500 miles or so as that's when I start to notice a bit notchy shifting...However,with the Rotella at this interval the oil is still quite viscous and looks like it could easily go longer but I change it anyway...Hardly scientific but those are just some observations.

On my FJR1300 I go 4000 miles per the owners manual. That's with a 15-40 HDEO. Almost all of my miles are on the highway, typically long rides, so the oil goes through a fairly easy duty cycle.

On my Tuono it's more like 3000 miles or so using synthetic 15-50. The bike beats up its oil pretty badly, partly because I beat the bike up a little bit too. The manual says 6200 miles is OK, but I can't bring myself to run it that long.

I use Rotella T 15W40 in all liquid cooled bikes and ATVs.
KLR650 get OCI at around 2500 to 3000 miles for reason listed above. Notchy shifting.

The Valkyrie manual specified 8000 mile OCI with conventional oil. I usually change it at 4000 miles or once a year. Whichever comes first.

I run Belray Gear Saver in the two stroke transmissions and change the oil every 2000 miles.

ATVs used to get fresh oil every 500 miles. However, when I dumped the oil, it consistently looked almost as clean as when I put it in. I've since extended the OCI to around 750 to 1000 miles. What I found a bit unusual is that the used oil was pretty much the same coming out of the engines despite the fact that one is an auto with no transmission gears and the other is a manual with gears. One would think the manual would be much harder on the oil. The manual does take more oil than the auto though.

I change the goldwings oil between 3-4k miles. I have used Rotella, delo 400, and delvac, with whatever filter I can get the cheapest at the auto store. Funny, they may be packaged in different boxes but they all look the same and are made in Korea. I like the delvac the best. In the Harley I've been using Amsoil because a friend of mine could get it, but next change I'll be using Mobil 1 vtwin with a Harley filter.,,

I change my oil in my XV250 at 2k. Its pretty dirty by then since the foam air filter is not the greatest, plus she sees a lot of higher revs. I use Lucas or Mobil 1 MC oil in 20w50 or Rotella 5w40 in the early spring or fall. Filters are Wix or K&N

2009 V*950 : I change oil & filter every six months. I use Mobil 1 15w-50 silvercap and HiFlo HF204 filters. I usually only put about 3000 miles per change on the oil & filter. This has seemed to be a very reasonable schedule for this bike as well as the last one I had. I would have no problem with putting many more miles on the oil and filter, but I want fresh oil and filter for the winter months where the bike is not ridden a great deal.

My 2005 YZF R1 gets fresh Mobil 1 4T 10-40 racing. between 1,500 & 2,000 miles. Reason: this bike gets ALOT of hard duty and it makes me feel better knowing there is fresh oil in this shared sump system. I know it can go longer, but for me its a feel good thing. oil is cheap insurance.

My 2004 Ninja gets a steady diet of Honda GN4 10-40 as its a commuter and doesnt see any hard duty, it gets fresh oil once a year becouse i dont put enuff miles on it to change it any more often.

i use OEM filters on both.

Last edited:
3K in my Goldwing, with Rotella 15W-40.

Why? Cuz about the time 3K rolls around I have the itch to wrench. And since I'm a klutz with a wrench I only have the confidence to do the oil.
beer3.gif

2k or so in my 07 YZF600r with Rotella dino or a mix of Rotella dino/syn in winter. It only takes 3 qts and has a shared sump so I err on the side of OCD.

These days I'm not riding as much as I used to mostly due to work and work related travel keeping me from home. So the newer bike, a Harley TC88 is only getting 5k or less per year. It gets a one year OCI with Red Line. The other, a 94 Evo80 only gets about 2K per year and runs on M1 15W50 on a one year OCI. I used to run dinos years ago and change every 2500 to 3000 but now I've simplified life with the yearly OCIs. I was a little hesitant at first about one year OCIs but I just make sure they get a good 45 minute or more ride about every three or four weeks in winter instead of winterizing.

WR250R, 250cc single w/shared 1.4L sump, ~11K RPM redline, cruise at ~5-7K RPM. Some riding in dusty conditions on the weekends, daily commuter in the spring/summer/fall (May-October).

OCI will hopefully be about every 2,000 KM (it's been a little bit shorter than that so far). Like TusconDon I've got the itch to wrench, and like wantin150 I've got some form of oil OCD.

Those WR250s grind up oil faster than than any motorcycle I have ever owned. Search for sunruh's posts with his UOAs from his WR250s. Some oil he has used is out of spec for viscosity in less than 100 miles. Amsoil will only warranty their oil for a max of 5 hours use in a WR250.

You want to use the best oil available in your WR and change it very often. Maybe every 1000 miles?

Problem is the low volume of oil in the system. My WR250 only holds 1.25 qts.

5k OCIs in my Harleys with Amsoil 20W-50 or Mobil 1 V-Twin (whichever is cheaper at the time). Except that the '83 Shovelhead gets fueltanker man's mix of Havoline and VR1 with 2.5K OCIs.

Ran Rotella 15W-40 for years in my water-cooled bikes with 3k OCIs - but last year bought eight cases of Mobil 1 4T 10W-40 for $5 a bottle, delivered to the house. Run that stuff in a FZ1, a couple VTX1800s, and a Gold Wing GL1800 at 5k OCIs.

Why 5K OCIs? The Harleys could go a little longer and the water cooled bikes could probably go even longer, but 5K is soooo easy to remember.

Most of my riding is very lightly spirited with the occasional flame-burnout.

When the wife is aboard... it's speed limit +5.

Last edited:
5K on the TC88, changed with Amsoil 20W50. I use the same oil for the primary and transmission. However the primary and transmission OCI is 10K. The HD transmission is very easy on oil.

1.5k ON The KLR650, I use Rotella 15W40 in KLR. Short oil change due to 95% dirt riding.

its in the sig but,1987 yamaha radian yx600 with 20,000mi. formally used yamalube and a napa powersports filter,tried the valvoline 4-stroke motorcycle oil and it caused the clutch to start slipping almost immediately on the test ride. now i'm trying of the rotella t oil since discovering this site.

I change my oil and filter once a year regardless of mileage, though I put roughly 3K a year on my bike. I use nothing but Amsoil in both the crankacse and in the differential so I know it's good for the duration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back