Transmission Oil Advice for ZF 6speed Automatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I have a 2004 Jaguar XJ8 with almost 75,000 miles. It has the ZF 6speed auto with is " Sealed for Life ", whether thats true or not is debatable and isnt what Im looking for.

At 69k miles I did a complete fluid change using Castrol Multi-Import Vehicle ATF. I did extensive studies and Castrol backs it as replacement fluid for BMW LTxxx, which is Shell Msxxx rebranded( I forget the actual numbers) which is the fluid all ZF 6speeds use.

I did a few more flush and fills with a more recent one just a week or so ago. I have on order a new Pan that has the filter built in, what I need advice on is picking the replacement fluid (about 5qts maybe 6).

The Castrol is good, by good I mean it has comfortable upshifts but gives me a slight lurch coming to a halt. This ir most likely a software issue since a few TSB's have been issued to correct this from all mfrs using this trannies.

Oem fluid is $55 a liter
Castrol is $5 a qt
Redline D4 $100 for 2 gallons

Any other recommendations ? I'm leaning towards the Redline

Ive looked for regular Mobil1 Synthetic ATF as shown on their site, but... All I can locate is a Mercon type in the stores.

Thank You in advance, Victor.

I believe the BMW guys have been using D4 with good results. Pentosin also makes a replacement for ZF's Esso/Shell fluids.

I have had fantastic results with Redline D4 in both BMW & VW Audi ZF boxes. Seamless shifts seem to be a common result of using it in any ZF transmission. I think it is well worth the extra money.

Other options might be Amalie, Amsoil, Royalpurple, or Maxlife.
D4 is an excellent ATF.

Mobil-1 ATF is available at all Autozones and AdvanceAutoparts around here. Shop around a little more.

Thanks everyone. unDummy the autozones and strauss's here have mobil1 synthetic ATF, but they are all mercon rated ? does that make sense ? The bottle on their site has no specifications.

I'll be going with the Redline D4 though as Ive read about alot of promising results with that fluid.

Anyone know if there is a VOA of the shell oil thats oem for these trans ? Ive searched with no luck. Thanks again

Originally Posted By: StrateLOSS

Ive looked for regular Mobil1 Synthetic ATF as shown on their site, but... All I can locate is a Mercon type in the stores.

I also have a ZF 6 speed auto in my 2004 BMW 530i. I've changed the fluid twice now. Each drain and fill took about 5.5 quarts.

The first drain and fill I used Mobil 1 ATF at approx. 80,000 miles on the car.

The second drain and fill was done this past fall at approx 100,000 miles and I used Pentosin ATF1 which is supposedly the same fluid as factory fill (which I beleive is Shell M-1375.4).

The tranny has always shifted well, before and after each of the drain and fills. I do have to admit that I feel more comfortable with the Pentosin ATF1 in the car since it is speced specifically now for Shell M-1375.4, and the car does continue to shift perfectly at 110,000 miles.

I plan to do another drain and fill next summer using the pentosin.

Good luck.

Hey, I have a 2004 Jaguar XJ8 with almost 75,000 miles. It has the ZF 6speed auto with is " Sealed for Life ", whether thats true or not is debatable and isnt what Im looking for.

At 69k miles I did a complete fluid change using Castrol Multi-Import Vehicle ATF. I did extensive studies and Castrol backs it as replacement fluid for BMW LTxxx, which is Shell Msxxx rebranded( I forget the actual numbers) which is the fluid all ZF 6speeds use.

I did a few more flush and fills with a more recent one just a week or so ago. I have on order a new Pan that has the filter built in, what I need advice on is picking the replacement fluid (about 5qts maybe 6).

The Castrol is good, by good I mean it has comfortable upshifts but gives me a slight lurch coming to a halt. This ir most likely a software issue since a few TSB's have been issued to correct this from all mfrs using this trannies.

Oem fluid is $55 a liter
Castrol is $5 a qt
Redline D4 $100 for 2 gallons

You mention Redline D4. I believe the Redline D6 is the one to use.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
I posted a VOA of the ESSO LT71141, Castrol Import multi vehicle and Red Line D4 fluids. I went with the D4 in my BMW ZF 5HP19 and the shifting is smoother.
I did a drain and refill (about 6 quarts) at about 55000 miles and just recently did a pan drop and filter change at about 81000 miles.

Just to note: the Esso LT71141 is the spec for ZF 5 speeds.

The spec for ZF 6 speeds is different. The OP is talking about a 6 speed, as is the ZF tranny in the new Hyundai Genesis.

Vaca- I've read about pentosin on the BMW forums and stuff. I do consider that an option but it is certified only as a replacement fluid for the 5speed. I'm leaning more towards the Redline because its a synthetic.

The Hyundai uses the same fluid as my Jaguar, which is ZF superfluid 6 (which is supposedly shell mineral based oil) just rebranded.

@ $55 a litre from Jaguar, around $40 from BMW and a little over $25 from Hyundai and VW. Its just a bit over priced.

ATM I'm going to see if I go with Redline D4 Pentosin or Royal Purple. Thanks again and if anyone else has more usefull info I appreciate it.

shanebba , Ive seen your thread and I got alot of usefull info off of it. Thanks.

Also does anyone off the top of their heads know of anyone who has used Royal Purple Maxt ATF on a ZF 6speed ?

Last edited:
Vaca- I've read about pentosin on the BMW forums and stuff. I do consider that an option but it is certified only as a replacement fluid for the 5speed.

That's what I thought too, but apparantly, the Pentosin is now also certified for the 6 speed ZFs.

Anyway, I'd bet the Redline would work also, maybe better. Let us know what you wind up using and how it works out over time.

I'll make sure I post if I ever have any issues with the 6 speed in my BMW (in which I'm currently running the Pentosin)

The Pentosin warehouse is just a few miles away from me in Newjersey, Im going to call them when Im ready to do the fluid change (weather permiting) and see what kind of prices they have at the warehouse. If they can do around $11-$12 a litre on a 20 litre drum then Ill be getting the pentosin.

http://www.crpindustries.com/pentosin/f_transmissionfluid.asp theres their main link, I still may wind up going the redline route as its a full synthetic where as the pentosin is a synthetic blend. Plus price is a factor.

Pentosin = $17 a litre x 20L = $340
Redline D4= $40 a gallon x 3gal + 3qouarts x $12 = $156

I need 3 drains and fills at around 5 qts each... ahhh the stress.

Add that costs to the filter/pan and Im looking at a $400 minimum cost.

---- edit----

seems I have my conversions backwards. 1 litre is 1.06qts so I need less litres then I would qts. I need about 17 litres for 3 drains and fill. now it all depends on the price I can get the pentosin for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back