"Check Fuel Cap" warning - what causes it??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife was driving along in our 2005 4 cyl. Honda Accord this morning, and suddenly the odometer reading is replaced with a "Check Fuel Cap" warning.

She said she stopped and checked the fuel cap right away and could see nothing to fault. I know that the cap was installed properly because I filled it up myself last time and I always make sure it clicks an handful of times before I close the lid.

Has anyone here had this happen? What causes it? How can it be fixed?

There's a rubber seal on most caps, I've seen them dry out and crack and that I suppose could throw off the vacuum pressure or whatever it is that triggers that light. It can also show up in a check engine light scan too.

Wow, my first post?! And I've been on for so many years....such a bad lurker
frown.gif

Sometimes the fuel cap itslef will not hold vacuum.

You have a vaccumm pump that pumps down to check for this. So any of the lines in the vapor recovery could be leaking. That is why I hate goverment regualtions. Stupid to prevent a few hydrocarbons from being emitted. But gotta appease the carbon heads.

If you have a leakey line somewhere, they will have to smoke test to attempt to find the leak. bend over because it isnt cheap.

Maybe you can clear the code, and then repalce the cap first if you cant get rid of the code. On a mopar you can disconnect the battery and turn the ignition key to on for 30 seconds and it will clear the code.

Good luck

I've had this happen on my truck and car. You can try re-tightening the cap. The message might not be removed right away. My wife had this happen on our Accord and retightened the cap. She said the message went off after a few starts/shutdowns and it never came back.

My truck had this happen and I had to take it in. The EVAP had to have some sort of replacement. There was a TSB on it, but I can't recall what it is.

My truck got the light one day. I replaced the fuel cap and it was still on. It turned out that a vacuum line had been knocked loose from the charcoal canister purge valve. Luckily I found it just before taking the truck to the dealer to have them look at it. Once I put the line back in place, the light went off immediately.

Originally Posted By: sr17
My wife was driving along in our 2005 4 cyl. Honda Accord this morning, and suddenly the odometer reading is replaced with a "Check Fuel Cap" warning.

She said she stopped and checked the fuel cap right away and could see nothing to fault. I know that the cap was installed properly because I filled it up myself last time and I always make sure it clicks an handful of times before I close the lid.

Has anyone here had this happen? What causes it? How can it be fixed?

You need a new cap. But try retightening the cap & resetting the light first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back