NEW KIA BORREGO

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the subject suggests I just bought a Kia Borrego. I really like it except for a stiff ride.
Here's the question. Does the Borrego (made in Korea) have korean oil from the factory? If so, should I get it out asap?
According to Kia it is suppose to use 5W-20 oil. Where I live I will use 5W-30. Kia says it's ok in the tempertures here.
I plan to use Pennzoil Platinum.
Any and all comments welcome.

Thanks

lonestar

No need to rush the FF fill out. I would leave it in for 3k at a minimum if you "need" to change it.

Doesn't KIA use Quaker State as factory fill? Even if it is some kind of Korean oil, I don't see any reason why you'd have to dump it ASAP. When is the first recommended oil change according to the owner's manual? I'd probably run it until then.

There is no scientific evidence (that I'm aware of) that would indicate that dumping factory fill early prolongs engine life or delivers other measurable improvements over the course of vehicle's useful life. Then again, this is BITOG (welcome, by the way!), and some of us would do weekly oil changes if we could.
grin2.gif

Did you get the V8 and are their big rebates on these? I would get 20wt oil out asap and run shell 10w-30 or similar for a couple 3k OCI. Only BC they most likely ONLY run 20w in the US for CAFE and nowhere else and if its not a ford or honda specifically designed for 20w lubricants, I havent seen too many engines live a happy existance on this oil. I am unlucky and a 2006 Kia rio 5 1.6L I picked up spun a rod bearing on the 20w on the way home - and I never ran the engine over 2700 rpm (though I bet the lot boy and the recon guys did!) Also The 09 Forester started knocking on the way home, still knocks to this day even worse, and fuji uses 20w as break in oil(documanted at subaruforester.org. I see bad trend. OTW my 01 Mustang Bullitt ran GREAT on 5w-20 and hated 5w-30. No noise at all.

DON'T LISTEN TO ARCOgraphite, PLEASE!!!

He lives in this strange world where ONLY his cars fail from the use of specified oil, even though he doesn't abuse them.

Strangly, no-one else lives there......

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I havent seen too many engines live a happy existance on this oil.

Maybe you just haven't seen too many engines in general?

Have owned several Hyundai - KIA vehicles. I run the factory fill for about 3 or 4 thousand miles then go to a synthetic 5W20.

Korea manufactures type III oils that are imported to the US and blended here by some oil companies in their type III synthetics.

Quaker State was used by the plant north of us in Montgomery Alabama @ one time for their factory fill on Hyundai vehicles made there. Don't know what they use now.

I would not dump the factory fill early.

I would run 5W20 year around.

Did you get the V8 and are their big rebates on these? I would get 20wt oil out asap and run shell 10w-30 or similar for a couple 3k OCI. Only BC they most likely ONLY run 20w in the US for CAFE and nowhere else and if its not a ford or honda specifically designed for 20w lubricants, I havent seen too many engines live a happy existance on this oil. I am unlucky and a 2006 Kia rio 5 1.6L I picked up spun a rod bearing on the 20w on the way home - and I never ran the engine over 2700 rpm (though I bet the lot boy and the recon guys did!) Also The 09 Forester started knocking on the way home, still knocks to this day even worse, and fuji uses 20w as break in oil(documanted at subaruforester.org. I see bad trend. OTW my 01 Mustang Bullitt ran GREAT on 5w-20 and hated 5w-30. No noise at all.

please dont listen to anything acro posts. hes full of false statements as usual.

5w20 won't do any harm. I have poured 5w20 into everything that recommended it beginning from 2001. As more manufactures added it (recommending it), I have filled them with it. This obviously ranges from Ford and Honda (2001) to everything else (presently.)

You will be fine with 5w20 all year round. If you wish to use 5w30, you are good as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

please dont listen to anything acro posts. hes full of false statements as usual.
Cant you make an argument - or only bash? Very childish of you.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

He lives in this strange world where ONLY his cars fail from the use of specified oil, even though he doesn't abuse them.

This is untrue; I'll start assembling posts from various boards. Is this an oil board or the Oil Borg? Im sorry if I have my own well considered opinion and express it.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

This is untrue; I'll start assembling posts from various boards. Is this an oil board or the Oil Borg? Im sorry if I have my own well considered opinion and express it.

It's not fair to give advice to people that is not based on fact, or is untrue.

API SM/GF-4 oils, or 5W-20 oils DO NOT cause engine problems. You continue to say they do - you are lying or giving BAD ADVICE to people who come to this board looking for sound factual advice - if you're not going to stop doing this, you neeed to be called out on it, and I will continue to, as will many others.

My recent, first-hand experience points to light oil weight and lowered zddp as aggravators and possibly causal. I cannot separate the two since they go hand in hand. I am insulted that you would call me a liar. I dont see any "facts' presented by either side of the argument, though my recent experience is anecdotal it is significantly patterend and substantial to be coincidental. You post your non-expert opinion, I post mine. You may argue the point, but, Respect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back