Pennzoil Ultra... any further news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
I don't know why all the negative comments about a freakin bottle design!

Because that's the only thing we've got so far. We'll discuss the performance aspects of it when it becomes available for sale and when we try it. :)

Ok Ok so we have a case where we are duplicating Castrol marketering idea to bring out Edge. Has anyone brought up the fact that was a dud atleast in the USA?. The only and I mean only time Edge sells is when it is put on sale as the same price you can buy Syntex at. So what is behind this move?? What is the purpose of this strange what were you thinking? move? Do the owners of Shell have family working there?? In my past business matters usually the son of the owner comes up with things like this.Nobody dares to tell them this is a stupid idea.
33.gif

Last edited:
I personally would not have done it. If I were coming out with something better I would just replace the other one.

Just look how many types of Mobil 1 there is. Mobil 1 is the BIG DOG on the retail synthetic block and the rest of the dogs want to play.

Simple STUPID marketing. Not saying it's not a better product than Platinum, probably is, but only time will tell. I know one thing, if they are going to sell it, they better have one heck of an ad campaign lined up or it will be a big flop.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Red Line is one of the best oils out there....but it's bottle isn't fancy looking.

I love Red Line bottles, and Amsoil bottles as well. The center mouth makes for the easiest/cleanest pouring bottles around.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I personally would not have done it. If I were coming out with something better I would just replace the other one.

Sometimes this is done to gain extra shelf space in the store. If you swap one product out for another, you don't really gain any extra shelf space, but if you have more products, you can have more shelf space, and it makes your entire portfolio look more impressive (overall).

That's why XOM has so many different flavors out there, among other reasons.

Can't help but think that SOPUS is making the wrong move with this oil. I would think that they would do better marketing a synthetic blend that bridges the gap between regular yellow bottle and Platinum. That way, there would be two "big" markets: owners of European or luxury cars (as mentioned upthread) and also people who want better protection for their cars but are still unsure of synthetics and extended drains (which, from my experience, a lot of people are). A lot of people buy oil just on price and looks, and having a product that is better than PYB and cheaper than PP would be successful.

Oh, all of the "hyper cleansing technology" stuff is just getting oil.

As long as they keep selling PP I don't think anything is going to change. Shell can't afford dropping the PP it's their bread and butter. The Ultra is another alternative...marketing should be light and humorous let the consumer adventure moving up. You need the consumer inquiring mind having a choice.

SOPUS obviously feels there is a market for those that want the very best synthetic, and that is what Ultra will represent in their lineup.

I sure hope they have this planned out. But right now I think they are working off of Murphy's Law.

1. All of a sudden pallets show up at a Wal Mart in Anchorage.

2. One of the largest distributors in the country says they have spec sheets but no literature and were told it will release as soon as legal approves everything.

3. The someone post a picture from the website of one of the oldest, but smallest Pennzoil distributors in PA.

4. It is replacing Platinum, no it is not replacing Platinum.

I'm sure before this is over we can add to this list.

Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000
Just checked both Wal-Marts in my area, none to be found as of yet...

I was at Wally-World today as well and found the same...nothing yet!

Originally Posted By: Johnny
.......... I know one thing, if they are going to sell it, they better have one heck of an ad campaign lined up or it will be a big flop.

A rebate campaign, with an after rebate price of $1/qt, would get my attention.
20.gif

As I recall, when Platinum first came to market 4-5 years ago, Pennzoil offered a large rebate. I stocked up on a lot of Platinum at that time, for $1 a quart. I can see them doing the rebate marketing again, this time for Ultra.

What is it with oil and rebates? OIL IS CHEAP!! Worry about something else for god's sake. LOL

If you want a premium product, you have to PAY.

Originally Posted By: buster
What is it with oil and rebates? OIL IS CHEAP!! Worry about something else for god's sake. LOL

I agree. Not critizing someone who tries to save a buck, but with 10,000 mile OCIs we are talking a few cents a day.

Originally Posted By: buster

Oh buster, surely you jest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back