Inexpensive but good metal detectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to start goofin off and thought that metal detecting may be kinda fun. I have a friend that does it and he's always finding a gold nugget or an old coin. His detector tells him what it's detecting and how far down it is.

I know of some abandoned gold mines I want to start with.

Whats a good detector but not too expensive?

I got a Bounty Hunter and has served me well over the years. Don't know if I'd call them cheap, but it also depends on your application. I got it for just searching around for stuff at the beach, river beds, old homes, etc. etc. Now Garrett detectors are the bomb, but you will pay dearly for a good one, but they do a lot more, and should, for the price. Also remember, most public places ban metal detectors unless you get a permit. Also, you have to get permission from the land owner if you go outside of your property and believe me, a lot of land owners don't want you on their property and if they do, they want over 50% of the stuff you find. It's kind of a hassel anymore. Not like it was 20 years ago.

A mid-line Bounty Hunter is just fine. They are not 'cheap'....just not as durable as a White's or Garrett in some respects. They function every bit as good though and if you take care of it you'll have no issues. Especially if you are just starting out, why pay several hundred for a hobby device that you may decide isn't for you? Get a Bounty Hunter.

Yeah...that's why I haven't bought a metal detector yet. The Army Corp of Engineers don't allow metal detecting on the area lakes anymore.
But there is some 230 acres my wife and her sister own that could be promising.

May have to get one after all.

Another thing to consider, like "cheap" telescopes, is the parts to it. With telescopes, you can go from cheap to great by just changing out the eyepieces. Same with metal detectors, it's all in the coils. The electronics are all about the same, but the money and pickup signals are in the coil pickups. The about the COE, just don't actually dig. There are a lot of surface stuff you can find under vegetation. Plus, they don't enforce it unless a game warden comes by.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Also remember, most public places ban metal detectors unless you get a permit. Also, you have to get permission from the land owner if you go outside of your property and believe me, a lot of land owners don't want you on their property and if they do, they want over 50% of the stuff you find. It's kind of a hassel anymore. Not like it was 20 years ago.

The area I want to check out is a legal area per the BLM website. Most likely there will not be anyone around...The desert is a big place.

"Metal detecting is a recreational activity that people do to find coins, jewelry, and precious metals. Metal detecting is allowed on BLM lands as long as no artifacts are removed. Artifacts should be left alone and reported to the appropriate Field Office. Avoid all cultural and archeological sites. The Metal Detecting enthusiast may remove some rocks (handful) from areas such as picnic areas, campground areas, and recreational sites. The enthusiasts may remove some rocks as long as there not being removed from another mining claim. Mining claims can be researched on the LR2000 (http://www.blm.gov/lr2000). Enthusiasts are only allowed to make minimal surface disturbance (i.e. removing a couple of stones for memories)."
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/iac/metal_detecting.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back