2000 NISSAN XTERRA V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
MY WIFE HAS A 2000 NISSAN XTERRA WITH THE 3.4 L V6. I AM IN THE RINSE PHASE OF AN ARX TREATMENT USING EXXON SUPERFLO 5W30. ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT OIL I SHOULD USE AFTER THE RINSE PHASE IS COMPLETE. VALVOLINE MAXLIFE? HAVOLINE 5W30. SO MANY OPINIONS ON THIS SITE AND I AM IN INFORMATION OVERLOAD. OH YEAH FORGOT SOME PERT INFO. WILL HAVE 96K MILES AFTER THE RINCE PHASE.

UNDUMMY,
WHERE CAN I GET THIS ROTELLA 5W40. THE ENGINE CALLS FOR 5W30. NOT DISPUTING WHAT YOU ARE SAYING BUT SHOULD I GO OUTSIDE OF THE PARAMETERS LISTED BY THE MANUFACTURER? THANKS IN ADVANCE. BY THE WAY I RESPECT ALL OF YOUR OPINIONS SO DONT THINK IM BEING A SMART A$$.

Its a group 3 syn at Walmart usually at a near WM ST syn price. If you have a Pepboys to get $2
Penn Platnium syn this month on their rebate I'd start with that in your grade. The shell rotella t syn 5-40 and thick 30W oils seem to do well in nissan v6 motors so you'd want to look at the used oil test section for your motor and see how 5-40 and other oils are performing in nissan v6s to be comfortable with using a 40W
or whatever you choose.

I use Chevron/ Havoline 5-30 and 10-30 in my Mazda and GM v6 3.1 but bought Penn Plat to use after the ARX clean is finished on the GM V6 3.1 .

1st, lay off of the CAPITAL letters.

How big is that motor, 3.3L?
How big is that oil sump?
How heavy is that vehicle?
With a little common sense, you'll understand why I recommended a thicker oil and a synthetic. Its because it overstressed in that application.

5w30 is preferred basically for MPG and nothing else. IMO, VG's live longer with thicker oil.

Rotella-T 5w40 can be found at wallyworld in gallon jugs for $14. Thats a ton of good oil for the money and you'll need only 1 jug for each oil change.

My local Wal-Mart today has Rotella syn for $10/4qt jug. They have it marked "closeout" along with Pennzoil Platinum for $16/5qt jug.

Parkertown, thanks for the info.
I guess that I'll have to visit warmart and grab what I can. I never stock up on oil but guess that I'll have to now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back