Gas tank repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
In high school my auto shop teacher caught a kid writing his name on an Acetylene bottle. He was using an Arc welder.

Maybe he should have been demoted to grade school with a dunce cap......

In high school my auto shop teacher caught a kid writing his name on an Acetylene bottle. He was using an Arc welder.

Now THAT is a Darwin candidate!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Now THAT is a Darwin candidate!

+1

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Metal doesn't have pores... not even terne-coated metal. It's a common misconception for people to think that metal is porous to liquids.

Cast iron has pores, but usually sheet metal and its product like gas tank doesn't.

Years ago, our local radiator shop did all the gas tank repairs- in our city of 100,000 people. The owner used to take a hose from the exhaust of a nearby idling car, fill the tank with exhaust fumes, and left the car idling the entire time. Now it is just simple chemistry that exhaust gas has almost no oxygen remaining and will not support combustion under any circumstances.

The muffler on our Chevette dropped down, hit the highway, punched a hole in the bottom of the gas tank, all in less then 3 seconds start to finish. I took the car to the shop, they dropped the tank - all but about a gallon of gas had run out through the hole. Bud rolled the tank over, stuck the hose in the filler neck, let it fill for a minute or so and welded it up.
Said he had done it that way all of his life, and it was stupid to drain the last of the gas out and try to dry it out - you might kill yourself. He wanted the tank full of exhaust and did not care about the last gallon of gas. I still stood back a ways!!

Flipped the tank back on, still enough gas to go to the gas station!

Saw Bud out walking the other day, bad knees, 90+ years old.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
it still seems wrong....

Yeah, a little scary, although the science and reasoning are good. I would also worry about working a lot with the exhaust/carbon monoxide billowing out all around you..... but I bet he hardly ever did more than one or two tanks a week.

This would be a bad way to do it if you did it all day long!

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Johny was a scientist
He isn't anymore!
For what he thought was H2O
Was H2SO4.

Sniff... sniff.... That was beautiful! It brings a tear to my eye.

Oh, wait a sec.... No, the fumes just made my eyes water. Nevermind.

Originally Posted By: fsskier
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
it still seems wrong....

Yeah, a little scary, although the science and reasoning are good. I would also worry about working a lot with the exhaust/carbon monoxide billowing out all around you..... but I bet he hardly ever did more than one or two tanks a week.

This would be a bad way to do it if you did it all day long!

Don't worry, he was filtering the air with the filter on his smokes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back