409 Heads

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we are getting ready to build a 409 for the old mans deuce coupe and wondering if we should go with his factory 425/409 hp cylinder heads, or if it would be worth it for us to splurge for the new Edelbrock aluminum heads. Anyone seen these new heads in person? Its my opinion that a deuce coupe is light enough already and any power gain probably wont be noticed since the car is going to have a heck of a time hooking anyways.

But on the other hand......aluminum heads would look cool with his Mickey Thompson cross ram and old school Offenhauser valve covers.

So what do you think guys?

"She's real fine, my 409;
She's real fine, my 409;
my 4-0-9...."

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I'd go with the original heads, just for originality. But that's just me - many would say go with the nerwer, 'better' stuff.

409's have a really neat look to them - good luck with your project!

If they are ported, have to good stuff like good springs, valves, guides, guide seals and seats. Its a no brainer. Adding performance and reliability is always good. Knowing Edelbrock, its top notch.

Fast.....Reliable......Cheap......
Choose two.

I would want a chevy orange painted classic iron head on that motor.
409_engine.jpg

Last edited:
The only aftermarket head Ive used are AFR and Brodix; havent heard that the edlebrock are anything great for $$ spent v. a good iron head with a pocket port and general cleanup. Its a clssic and there id something about the classic casting shape that make me warm up. It's not a drag car, right? I also dont like off the shelf crane cams either - look to stock chevy or Lunati - their stocker 1/4 and 1/2 mile dirt track cams are good on ther street.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I would want a chevy orange painted classic iron head on that motor.
409_engine.jpg

That would be great if it were in a classic Chevy, but it's going in a deuce. Don't make old Henry feel any worse than he already does.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
"She's real fine, my 409;
She's real fine, my 409;
my 4-0-9...."

Man I LOVE the Beach Boys!!!!!!!!! Songs about surfing,surfergirls,cars..........you can`t go wrong ;^)))))

Ok, then the OP better put a flathead in the thing witth a row of strombergs - we dont want Henry spinning any more than he was when Nasser was running the joint!

For originality, I'd prefer the cast iron heads. For high performance on the street, I'd prefer the aluminum heads. It also depends upon the camshaft you intend to use. With street gas, I wouldn't go much over 8.75:1 compression ratio with the cast iron heads while the aluminum heads should be able to handle up to a 10:1 compression ratio since aluminum won't act like a heat sink like cast iron. The milder the camshaft, less compression you'll need to make up for bottom end torque.

Another item to consider is the cost. All original 409/348 heads are used and may need plenty of work on the seats, valve guides, valves, springs, and head itself to be serviceable. You could just save the added cost and apply it to the aluminum heads.

Good luck on the project.

I would run the cast heads, with good manley valves, guides, springs to match the Cam.

Crane is no longer in buisness. Comp Cams, Lunati have great offerings. I have Lunati roller cam in my 406 chevelle, with comp cams completing the valve train and Dart sportman heads

The iron heads are cherry. The seats and valves are good, they just need a good cleaning and freshening. He has had them on the shelf gunked in rust preservative and wrapped in a bag since the early 80's. My dad had a speed shop for 40 years and has several sets of cherry heads he collected when the W motors went out of style. He is going to use a Clay Smith flat tappet grind that mimics the OE 425hp chevy specs.

Its not going to be stock, but more like a custom rod would have looked in the early 60's.

He is going to drive this thing on the street. He is going to put a good T10 trans and a 57 olds rear end in it.

I'd pull it and drop a 32V all-aluminum 4.6 in it with Stage3 heads from TEA on it, backed by a T-56 and run by a Megasquirt setup. That would keep 'ol Henry happy.

But that's just me. I am not a fan of any GM engine in a Ford. Period.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I'd pull it and drop a 32V all-aluminum 4.6 in it with Stage3 heads from TEA on it, backed by a T-56 and run by a Megasquirt setup. That would keep 'ol Henry happy.

Too modern for his tastes. If he went Ford he would probably put an old 312 Y Block in it. He wants that 60's vibe. This car is an all original steel bodied car so he wants a vintage vibe. In a fiberglass car a modern engine would be ok, but not in an old steel body car.

Nah maybe a 289/302 Windsor if he wanted go with Ford power but definitely nothing too modern. I think the Chevy engine is a fine idea since we've already proven in past discussions it is superior to the Ford
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Nah maybe a 289/302 Windsor if he wanted go with Ford power but definitely nothing too modern. I think the Chevy engine is a fine idea since we've already proven in past discussions it is superior to the Ford
grin2.gif

Well he wants late 50's to early 60's so he would go with something more vintage than the 289. If he did not want to go fast I would suggest he use the old all aluminum 215 Buick motor he has shoved away. Im trying to get him to use that in a T bucket build.

Last edited:
A 327 SBC is early 60's vintage. Lots of dueces got SBC power, combining the best classic coupe with best classic powerplant
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Too modern for his tastes. If he went Ford he would probably put an old 312 Y Block in it. He wants that 60's vibe. This car is an all original steel bodied car so he wants a vintage vibe. In a fiberglass car a modern engine would be ok, but not in an old steel body car.
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah he bought the car in 1959 and has had it ever since. He ripped it apart 20 years ago and is now just getting her back together. He got the fire under his butt helping his friend build a 1939 Ford Standard 4door. Once that got done, everything got dug out and he started on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back