A Few Words about 0w20 Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau

Here is a small copy and paste from Acura's latest Service News pdf.

A Few Words About 0W-20
Engine Oil

Without a doubt, oil plays a major part when it comes
to an engine’s performance and health. 0W-20
engine oil is fast becoming the recommended service
fill for many automakers, replacing the ever-popular
5W-20. Why? Because in engines designed for its
use, it provides superior starting performance and
fuel economy without the risk of premature engine
wear.
Engine wear typically happens when you start the
engine cold and it’s warming up, so it’s really
important for the engine oil to get to work right away.
0W-20 is a very low-viscosity oil that’s specially
formulated to quickly reach critical engine
components when the engine is started. It also
helps the engine use less fuel. The zero in 0W-20
doesn’t mean zero viscosity; it means superior
low-temperature performance.
Acura has been developing and testing engines for
a number of years now with the expectation that
someday 0W-20 would become the oil of choice. Just
so you know, we’re coming out soon with a job aid
that shows which current Acura engines using 5W-20
can also use 0W-20. With that job aid, your
dealership will enjoy more servicing and stocking
flexibility.

Source: http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B100100.PDF

Last edited:
Quote:
Acura has been developing and testing engines for
a number of years now with the expectation that
someday 0W-20 would become the oil of choice. Just
so you know, we’re coming out soon with a job aid
that shows which current Acura engines using 5W-20
can also use 0W-20.

I'd love to see how they are doing this testing. It does not make a whole lot of sense. Just to walk with it a bit....is there some apprehension that the oil will be "too thin" when cold? A bit too noisy?

Originally Posted By: iunderpressure
Is there any reason a 0w20 couldn't be used in a 5w20 engine? I can't think of any.

I think this is a safe statement.

The more pointed one is the use of 0W20 in a 5W30 engine.

In an engine that is not leaking a 0W-xx oil can replace a 5W-xx or 10W-xx oil without any issues at all. The only time I would shy away from a 0W-xx oil is if my engine leaked, or I was opposed to cost. So any car calling for 5W-20 oil can use 0w-02 oil w/o issue.

I've quit buying 5w20 and have been buying 0w20 lately. Of course, it'll take me about 2 years to go through the 5w20. I've been wondering, and I searched (and read) the threads here on 0w20, what brand preference people have for 0w20 oils? I know there's not alot of manufacturers.

I've been leaning towards Mobil and Honda 0w20. Any suggestions or comments? I don't mean to hijack the thread, so if it gets to be too much I suggest we start a new one.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I've quit buying 5w20 and have been buying 0w20 lately. Of course, it'll take me about 2 years to go through the 5w20. I've been wondering, and I searched (and read) the threads here on 0w20, what brand preference people have for 0w20 oils? I know there's not alot of manufacturers.

I've been leaning towards Mobil and Honda 0w20. Any suggestions or comments? I don't mean to hijack the thread, so if it gets to be too much I suggest we start a new one.

I'm using Amsoil 0W20 at the moment. Redline makes it, Pennzoil makes it, good luck finding it, Valvoline IIRC makes it. Mobil 1 is all over the place with it, clearly the easiest go get.

Originally Posted By: shrooms
0w-20 good for the hot months?

welcome2.gif
to Bitog. If your car is spec'd for a 5W20 oil, you can also use 0W20. 0W20 oil can be used year round for an engine that calls for a 20 grade oil. HTH

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: shrooms
0w-20 good for the hot months?

welcome2.gif
to Bitog. If your car is spec'd for a 5W20 oil, you can also use 0W20. 0W20 oil can be used year round for an engine that calls for a 20 grade oil. HTH

Thanks for your reply!

Typically what is removed to make a 0w-xx oil may have provided better operating temp protection. But, a good oil is a good oil generalisations aside.

The trend is clear.. thinner is winning!

Petersubaru, you're link is dead. Where did you hear Subaru singing the love for 20 weights? I haven't seen it yet. I can't imagine running a 20 weight in my boxer engine... it's loud enough with a 30 weight :)

May I ask why the delay in 0-20 being ok for some other than Fit models??? What are they testing???? Auto mfg. right now are not looking too sharp in some areas so why the delay???? just asking.

visc.jpg

So I can throw this chart out of the window, take my Honda Pilot cross country in the middle of the summer to California straight through Death Valley in 115 degree heat pulling a boat at max towing capacity running A/C full blast and be okay with 0w20 or 5w20?
28.gif

Okay, I don't own a Honda, I just thought the topic was getting too mundane.

Ford did the very test you described with MC 5W20 I believe. No problems to report. In fact they did it more than once :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back