Anyone ride or own a Can-Am Spyder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see having one. Worse mileage than a car, doesn't handle as well, and leaves me out in the elements. If I'm biking I want two wheels and the elements, good or bad, other wise my climate controled cage. Plus you can by a Honda civic for the same price and it has a proper trunk.

About three cents worth. Smoky

I had one in the shop.
Took it for a short ride. Ok...I'm 57 and have a bad hip. So in saying that I found that it was a very uncomfortable bike to ride.(Like a sport bike) My feet had to go back to a position that I found not user friendly. There is no way you can put your feet forward and relax.
There is only one brake and it is on the right side foot peg.
To adjust the belt, which by the way is VERY long and I amagine costly, you need a special tool to check for the right sound when hitting the belt. You adjust it by tuning it. And only the shops have this tool.
Tires. Another big thing. I have had many riders for all over stop in our shop for tires and I have had them in stock.
Of course most of the bikes were either HD or Honda's.

Some tires and tubes are OEM. Meaning you can only get them from the dealer.
I had to wait a week for the tube for a Victory once and it was a good thing he was a local and in no hurry.

The question I would ask is do you plan on going on trips or just local rides and not to far away from the dealer?

Now the customer who owned this Can-Am loved it.
But it was not for me.

I work with a fellow who has one. His only complaint is that the university parking dept keeps giving him tickets for parking in the motorcycle lot.

Apparently the keep telling him it is not a bike, and he keeps having to fight the tickets.

I haven't ridden one but my uncle was certain he was going to buy one but once he rode it he said heck no. He's ridden touring bikes for almost 60 years and even recently rides 10,000 miles a year. He's now afraid that he doesn't have the strength to pick up a bike if it falls over so three wheels would be the answer. He hated the way it handled and said it feels like you are riding a quad on the street.

I went for a 10-15 mile demo ride on a Spyder a while back. Very interesting machine to try. It really does handle a lot like a quad on the street, just like someone else said. If you're used to riding bikes and have no quad or snowmobile experience, the first time you turn a corner, you'll feel like the Spyder wants to throw you off. A Spyder might actually take more strength to ride than a bike, except for at low speeds.

Overall I'd say the Spyder is really not for me for a few reasons:

-I like to lean the right way around corners, not the wrong way.
-It's very slow compared to a "real" motorcycle. I suppose it can run with most cruisers, but that's not saying much.
-The stability control system is very intrusive. If you get too frisky in tight corners, it quite abruptly cuts fuel/spark and the bike virtually shuts down for a second. You can forget about sliding/spinning the rear wheel if the bike is even fractionally turning or going sideways.
-I think Bombardier missed the mark on the engine. They obviously wanted to stay in the company and use a Rotax engine that was already EPA'd due to its use in Aprilia motorcycles. But while it's a decent bike engine (I own a Tuono), it's just lacking in power or smoothnes pushing something as heavy as the Spyder. A 1.5 liter four or triple might have been a better choice. It's not like the current motor is especially good on gas...how much worse would a bigger engine be?

It's not my cup of tea, but I will say that I'd much rather ride and own a Spyder than ANY bike converted into a trike. Those things are just abortions. I respect my elders and all, but come on, get a convertible if you can no longer hold up your Wing or Electra Glide. At least a Spyder has a modicum of engineering behind it and can build up to some pretty impressive cornering speeds.

I agree about the engine...I Don't understand why they put a 990CC vtwin in something like that...Seems like there are alot of other motors that would be much better suited for it...

I test drove one.... it's different but found it better than the Gold Wing trike that I also test drove.

The first generation Can-Am Spyder had a forward-sloping driver AND passenger seat. Not very comfortable for either. This newer bike is more money but comes with a sorta flat, level seat plus a few other changes that were needed.

You can get a free test drive at most of the Can-AM dealers so go do that and let us know what you think.

We have a first-gen Spyder-rider that rides with us now and then. Said it took him a month to get used to it and three months to feel really comfortable on it. One thing I CAN say is that we don't let him lead anymore.... I'm amazed at how those things will handle.

BTW: we are starting to see them running around the local areas. If you ask a rider he will tell you that he just loves it. Pride of ownership maybe......

Can_Am just came out with their own brand of fiberglass trailer on air ride - to pull behind... $3,500 plus $400 for the "smart hitch". Not out of line if you compare to the the same type of trailers that are pulled behind Gold Wings.

Had the chance to test ride one for about an hour, i really loved it. If i was in back in Alaska i really would love the security of this machine. I would stud the tires and ride it all year long!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back