quaker state high mileage not api certified

Status
Not open for further replies.

st9

I was at walmart last night looking at oil and noticed the quaker state high mileage bottles have no api labels on them.
Are they not api certified?

Looks like it won't meet the spec. Worry not...if you trust Shell, buy the oil; if not, don't buy it. The spec it won't meet is probably the economy requirement and maybe the phosphorus limit, maybe others that do not effect engine protection.

Companies like Mobil 1, Red Line, Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Schaeffer's ALL make top performing engine oils that are NOT API Certified.

I think it's really a non-issue to buy non-certified lubes from trusted companies that have been around for a while and produce other products that are certified. And in many cases, a product that carries a "meets or exceeds" recommendation in lieu of a certification may perform better anyway.

I've been using a non-certified engine oil in my car for two years now and the UOAs are fine.

Originally Posted By: CompSyn
Companies like Mobil 1, Red Line, Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Schaeffer's ALL make top performing engine oils that are NOT API Certified.

I think it's really a non-issue to buy non-certified lubes from trusted companies that have been around for a while and produce other products that are certified. And in many cases, a product that carries a "meets or exceeds" recommendation in lieu of a certification may perform better anyway.

I've been using a non-certified engine oil in my car for two years now and the UOAs are fine.

Amsoil XL is APi Certified as are all of the Royal Purple street oils( ie; non racing ).
21.gif

Originally Posted By: st9
I was at walmart last night looking at oil and noticed the quaker state high mileage bottles have no api labels on them.
Are they not api certified?

It's becuase it has the "Slick50" on the label.

If i were SOPUS i'd leave the slick 50 off the label and get the API symbols on...But they didnt ask me;)

I emailed quaker state about this very subject last month. Their reply was that it does meet API SM, but they decided to leave it off the bottles so that some people with older cars that require API SG,SF, etc. don't get confused with the SM on the bottle.
I am using it in my wife's '95 mazda right now. First time I've tried it. The engine runs much smoother, and it really quieted down some valve train noise.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: CompSyn

Amsoil XL is APi Certified as are all of the Royal Purple street oils( ie; non racing ).
21.gif

Yes, that's what I was trying to say.

For example:

Amsoil XL 10W-30 - (API Licensed)
Amsoil High Performance 10W-30 (Not API Licensed)

Royal Purple High Performance 5W-30 - (API Licensed)
Royal Purple XPR 5W-30 - (Not API Licensed)

Question: Do the Non-API Licensed products listed above perform poorly because they do not carry a license?

BTW, anyone can go to the API EOLCS Licensee Directory and look up any brand for themselves. I don't see Quaker State High Mileage listed there unless it's under another name?

I sent an email this morning to one of my last friends in the technical depart of Shell asking him why no API donut on the Quaker State HM oils and here was his quick reply to me.

They didn't think it was worth paying the API license fee since high mileage vehicles are usually out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I sent an email this morning to one of my last friends in the technical depart of Shell asking him why no API donut on the Quaker State HM oils and here was his quick reply to me.

They didn't think it was worth paying the API license fee since high mileage vehicles are usually out of warranty.

Excellent answer!

And to bring back this older thread. I've decided to see if any of the marketing works.
20.gif

So I've bought a jug and qt of QS HM 5w-30 to put in the Daughter's 98 Contour that has a pretty good leak at 108k miles.

Vehicle runs fine, engine check light is on all the time (needs O2 sensors, crankshaft sensor according to the codes) so I'm trying the HM only for the leaks.

Here is a shot of the non API (or any) ratings bottle.

qshm5w30.jpg

Reminds me of the Mobil 1 days after Katrina!
grin2.gif

Bill

Well, if it had an API rating it would probably be obsolete with the additive package they have in it. It is a HIGH MILEAGE OIL, and one of the better ones on the market.

As I know you will, let us know how it works in your daughters car.

Hello everyone and I have maybe a real dumb question; you decide. When did the oil companies and people that govern them (the API I am thinking?) set up the rules, etc that say that 5w30 oil or 10w30 oil is safe and recommended for cars and trucks? Also how often do the API ratings and so forth change and what are some of the ground rules so to speak that all oils must meet, exceed or be capable of?

sorry if this is a dumb, new guy question; I am a little curios is all.

let me know your thoughts and opinions and facts as I know there are some really smart and educational folks on this board.

thank you all

adam

Originally Posted By: kender
Check out the VOA that was posted yesterday. Maybe that's the real reason!?!?

Good point. Looks like it doesn't meet the 600 ppm P miniumum required for GF-4 or GF-5. What were they thinking? Maybe a bad batch repackaged and sold to unsuspecting customers? Probably OK (just OK) for engines with timing belts. I would not use it with timing chains.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Good point. Looks like it doesn't meet the 600 ppm P miniumum required for GF-4 or GF-5. What were they thinking? Maybe a bad batch repackaged and sold to unsuspecting customers? Probably OK (just OK) for engines with timing belts. I would not use it with timing chains.

There was no VOA posted yesterday. The VOA referenced was posted a year ago and the readings were bad. I had a sample rerun at a different lab and the numbers were fine.

I am running QSHM 5w30 in my '99 Crown Vic CVPI at the moment myself. The oil seems to be masking some higher frequency sounds of the engine, making its note sound a bit deeper, and overall quieter. Aesthetically I like it. May or may not be doing any extra cleaning, but I like the way it sounds now...

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

There was no VOA posted yesterday. The VOA referenced was posted a year ago and the readings were bad. I had a sample rerun at a different lab and the numbers were fine.

Actually the VOA I read with 300 ppm P was posted in 11/2010. But I stand corrected. Looks like another B.S. oil analysis error.

I'm still puzzled why no API rating. Cost saving measure? Failing fuel efficiency test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back