Do filter magnets work? Can I make my own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, do the oil filter magnets you buy work?

Could I make my own with some magnetic sheeting and just wrap the filter in it?

I'm wondering if it would remove some of the particles in a long UOA. (Iron, other metals)

Originally Posted By: defektes
I somtimes use a hard drive magnet from a dead drive. Toss it on the side of the oil filter.

This is the cheapest way, but getting a filtermag is a good investment IMO. They have data on their site showing lower particle counts when magnets were used, there's a link in the oil filter section somewhere.

I just throw a hard drive magnet on the end of the filter.

No, the particles a magnet will pickup are too small to be seen on a UOA, it will not change the results. Particle count yes, but those are generally only for aviation and very expensive.

Quote:
Particle count yes, but those are generally only for aviation and very expensive.

Particle count was an extra $10 from Polaris labs going thru OAI.

I love comments like this without any proof.

While I question Mobil's iron numbers, the 0w-20 and 5w-20 EP have shown NOTHING but GREAT results in my Hyundai, and thats Terry Dyson looking at it.

According to him, they did have some issues (minor), but things are now correcting.

As you can also see, I have no reason to defend them, other than to straighten out your false comments, because I am running redline.

So even though I saw significantly more trapped ferrous particles on a run of Mobil 1 than I did on a significantly longer run of Pennzoil Platinum, I can't draw any conclusions?

There can't be any correlation between Mobil 1 failing to pass the Seq IVA tests and the high iron numbers seen in UOA's, right?

What I'm saying is that you and I arent experts in the field, and do not see tons of data on different vehicles. Just because Mobil allegedly did not do as well in something you owned, which is suspect by your obvious bias, does not mean its not a great oil in something else. Thats the point of pulling samples, after a few runs, and letting an EXPERT tell you how its doing.

Thats the problems with this site nowadays, all the professionals left and all we have are amateurs passing of opinion/fiction as fact.

Filter magnets work because they catch particles that filters cannot. They also catch less over time so long as the engine isn't self destructing. Removal of the iron particles will make the engine last longer but they last so long already that magnetic filtration of motor oil is probably OCD.

Making your own is a great idea because it reduces the cost to where it doesn't matter if they are necessary or not. I epoxy a neodymium button magnet to the end of the oil plug and place more button magnets between the inlet holes of the filter. Though I've never had a magnet move I always uses magnets larger than the filter holes and less magnets than the number of filter holes to ensure that they can't go through or cover all the holes. In the unlikely event a magnet shatters or is crushed because the clearance wasn't checked the filter will catch what doesn't attach to the steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back