Older Triumph Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day gentlemen, just a quick question regarding the oil used on a 1972 Triumph Tiger 650cc. I understand the concept of the newer oils used today, and in light of that I'm going to have an external spin-off oil filter. The question is, which oils have the most ZDDP for the use of flat tappets and camshafts in these old brit bikes. I'm thinking of using normal dino 20-50, castrol being first in mind. There is a product out there called ZDDPlus, before trying this product does anyone in the membership have any dealings with this. Sounds idiot proof, however conducting my due diligence as it is said.

Regards

Thankfully you have a few months to make an overanalyized decision, assuming you're still in Canada with the bike.

Most 40 and 50 weights will come with enough ZDDP in them to cover you. The motorcycle favorite here (and most places on the interwebs) is Rotella 15-40 or 5-40. But, you might want to see if you can find some recommendations specific to your engine, which unfortunately I don't have (unless you want to trade).

There are a few Zinc products that would work well.

Also, Valvoline 20w50 racing would be great! The folks are using it in their Spitfire this summer.

Use a dedicated 20W-50 motorcycle oil in that GREAT old Triumph. Do not use automotive GTX and do not put any extra additives in it. Castrol makes some good motorcycle oils that would work in your application as do others. Some will start telling you to use Red Line, Amsoil, and other synthetics, but I recommend against it for your application. If an old Triumph does not drip oil, that means its out.
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Valvoline and Castrol make conventional 20w50 motorcycle specific oils that will work well and not break the bank.

The Valvoline was under 4.50 a quart last time I saw. My only complaint is that my clutch sticks a bit when I leave it in my yamaha for a long time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
If an old Triumph does not drip oil, that means its out.
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

The reason the British never made wristwatches was because they couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil.

Last edited:
Ultra or Extra -- Both have 3700 ppm of ZDDP. The most by far of any motorcycle oil. And no moly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back