Any experience with Cooper made Cordovan tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Anyone have any experience with Cordovan tires?

I picked up a set from a local shop I deal with. Theyre made by Cooper, and not terribly expensive, but appear to be a good solid tire. They were about the same price as the Dayton All terrains and the Walmart Goodyear model A/T's.

I bought the Wild Trac XR/S radials specifically.

http://www.tbcprivatebrands.com/cordovan/viewline.asp?id=202

Anyone use cordovan tires? Treadlife? durability?

theyve got a decent warrantee, and Cooper is a good brand. Just curious.

Thanks,

ryan

Last edited:
I had coopers once from pep boys and they had very high rolling resistance and were hard to balance. In fact they had to remove 1 as defective. No thanks. I think they were a z55-15

I sold Cordovan tires years ago, back then the Wild Tracs were made by Kelly. Some others from TBC were made by Cooper. All were very good tires at that price level, You did well IMHO

Coopers are basic, somewhat round black things that people who want to spend the least amount of money on their cars purchase because they NEED to buy tires.....not something a "car guy" would choose

Thanks guys. Good to know they wont blow up on the highway.

"Coopers are basic, somewhat round black things that people who want to spend the least amount of money on their cars purchase because they NEED to buy tires.....not something a "car guy" would choose"..............what about a guy that loves his Jeep, needed new rubber and is trying for a baby with his wife this year and trying to save a few buck?

Not everybody wants to drop $1000 on rubber. No offense bud. Just saying.

I really hate myself for buying Kumhos, but I am much happier with them than the set of Falcons by Cooper long ago. They wore like iron, but rode and stuck to the road like it too. Things change. I hated the Uniroyals that came on my 68 Chevelle. The set I had on my truck about 10 years ago were fairly good tires. If the Tire Barn still carried them, I would have bought more.

Oh, I did once run a set of Cordavans long ago. Decent tires then, but likely no bearing on your decision.

Originally Posted By: labman
I really hate myself for buying Kumhos, but I am much happier with them than the set of Falcons by Cooper long ago. They wore like iron, but rode and stuck to the road like it too. Things change. I hated the Uniroyals that came on my 68 Chevelle. The set I had on my truck about 10 years ago were fairly good tires. If the Tire Barn still carried them, I would have bought more.

Oh, I did once run a set of Cordavans long ago. Decent tires then, but likely no bearing on your decision.

Well thats good to hear. The shop put 44 lbs of air in them, and they were STIFF!!! I dropped them down to the recommended 30 psi, and theyre a nice comfortable tire.

They sound good to me.

Makes me wonder how many private brands are Cooper made?

I know that Starfire, American Platinums, Guardsmen (sears's brand), are all I can think of...

I think about 10 years ago BF Goodrich dominated the private label market and produced some real bargains. Then they were bought out and Cooper took over the market. If you want a cheap, long lasting tire and care nothing about ride and traction, you will be much happier than I am.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
Coopers are basic, somewhat round black things that people who want to spend the least amount of money on their cars purchase because they NEED to buy tires.....not something a "car guy" would choose

I'm a "Car Guy". I've had well over 20 cars, from a '56 Olds 88, '70 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible, '72 Olds Cutlass Convertible, among others. I put Coopers on the '56 Olds, Mastercraft (Cooper made) on 2 other Cutlass Supremes I've had over the years, and just put a set of Coopers on my '98 GMC Sierra. I couldn't be happier with any of those sets. My dad coincidentally has Mastercraft tires on his '95 Olds Aurora.

Now as a car guy who likes American iron, there's no way I'd ever put Kumho, Bridgestone, or other non-American brands on any of my cars. That's just wrong, in my opinion.

Big Ed

There is no use responding to Qship, the guy has a serious problem listening to reason. He thinks the only tire manufacture on the planet is Michelin. I swear I think the guy has been paid to come on here and bad mouth Cooper.

Dave

I agree, I will not put Tires on my car that are not made in the USA.

As the wife of a car guy to the extreme I have to disagree with Qship. There are many good tires on the market. You buy the best you can afford for your vehicle. Just like cars tires have also had their problems. We stopped buying Michelin tires as a result a problem we had.

Helen

Search tire recalls they are all listed. I bought a set of cooper cobra tires and they were a very poor choice. 3 out of 4 were replaced for separation issuses. Before I had 15,000mi on them. They were missing quality in the manufacturing process.

Thanks guys.

I was a bit worried at first, because they rode like rocks. Then I realized the only other factor that changes was that it dropped to a consistent -15/-20 the evening I had them installed. Its back to a toasty -8 today, and they feel MUCH better. I'm thinking it was the shocks as well that were stiff.

Overall, theyre a nice riding tire, and smooth on the highway. I'm thinking once they break in, they should become a little more crisp, and probably a little more compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back