someone tried to steal my bike last night !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
went to bed at 11pm

got up at 5am, tried to get out the front door to go to work at 6.20am ...

my old aircompressor was holding the screen door closed

i went out to my garage (attached to the house), both garage door handles broken off and the security lights bulbs removed and placed on the ground

they tried to gemmy the tilt doors when the handles broke, but left the entrance door alone-maybe because it was outside my bedroom

they couldn't get in coz i had internal padlocks which i fit every night and if i'm at work in my ute. THANK G0D FOR PARANOIA !!!

police turned up, couldn't fingerprint as it rained heavily last night, but were incredibly polite and helpful. the 1 who answered my call seemed VERY put out and was as helpfull as t1ts on a bull (maybe coz some of our rozzers are under HEAVY investigation atm)

went out and bought some more security, so now each door has a padlock on each corner inside and the access door i removed the locking handle and just fitted a deadbolt

tonight i'm parking my de-registered ute across the garage doors, wish me luck

p.s. who the heck would want a '92 fatboy ??? (maybe they were after the bsa, or the norton, or the triumph ...)

Originally Posted By: bonnie john
p.s. who the heck would want a '92 fatboy ??? (maybe they were after the bsa, or the norton, or the triumph ...)

I have an alibi for last night...
45.gif

Normally, I don't lock the front door, all windows and patio doors are not locked either, also the side door of the garage is not locked. Never we had broken in for 12+ years I live in this house, may be because I live in the cul-de-sac, therefore no traffics and no crimes.

Fingerprints? That ain't happening on this side of the ocean. The sole purpose of the police is to take a report and the insurance company investagate to see if you are padding the losses. Property crimes are treated as if your carlessness was part of the problem. The police said, "Do your own justice". [img:center]
abf56aa9.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: willix
Fingerprints? That ain't happening on this side of the ocean. The sole purpose of the police is to take a report and the insurance company investagate to see if you are padding the losses. Property crimes are treated as if your carlessness was part of the problem. The police said, "Do your own justice".

This is true. Police in the US don't care about property crimes at all.

Originally Posted By: bonnie john
couldn't fingerprint as it rained heavily last night,

Crooks love a storm - covers a lot of noise,dogs stay in their kennels,and owners stay in theirs too.I'm extra alert in heavy weather late at night.One reason I wouldn't own a Harley over here as they are top of the list to steal.Mind you,so are dirt bikes,and I have a shed full of those.

Good to see your proactive security - I get so annoyed when someone reports a bike stolen.....in the carport with the steering lock on.

Friend has a decal on the door of his hunting cabin.

"Some do, some don't, some might, YOU WON"T".

This is overlayed on a picture of a hand holding a revolver.

Originally Posted By: Silk
...I wouldn't own a Harley over here as they are top of the list to steal.Mind you,so are dirt bikes,and I have a shed full of those...

Is that supposed to make sense?

It could be a random thing but it would be a good idea to try and determine why they "felt good" about selecting your home. Is that area obscured from view. To the casual observer, does your home look like nobody is home (no interior lights or noise and such)? Do you have a dog? Do you have neighbors who can see your property if something is happening outside? Is there enough light from the street and surrounding area?

There are 3 adults and 2 large teenagers in my home now but there was a time when I lived alone and spent alot of time away. If someone wants to break in they will get in but my effort is to make the next guys place look better than mine.

Here are a few things that I started doing then and still do today.

Large Dog (noise maker with teeth)
Always a Truck in the driveway (man at home)
3 pair of muddy work boots on the porch (give the appearance of several men in the home)
Metal Security sign and several stickers on windows (ebay)
Clear view of all doors from street or neighbors house.
Best exterior doors, frames and locks that I can afford.
Glass Storm windows and Glass Storm Doors ( extra barrier= time and noise)
A few lights on timers that off and on at random times during night.
TV in spare bedroom on a timer (comes on 2am off and sunrise)

Originally Posted By: willix
Fingerprints? That ain't happening on this side of the ocean. The sole purpose of the police is to take a report and the insurance company investagate to see if you are padding the losses. Property crimes are treated as if your carlessness was part of the problem. The police said, "Do your own justice". [img:center]
abf56aa9.jpg
[/img]

Aussie gun laws dont allow for such guns anymore(no slide action, semi auto), which to me is sad. But a SxS shotty with buckshot is always an effective deterrent to any two legged critters.

My Harley is protected by:

1. One ADT IR motion detector on the ceiling above it
2. One alert Yorkie who sleeps about 15 feet away
3. Mr Smith & Mr Wesson
4. The local police.
5. State Farm.

Around here the budget cuts are so bad the police have switched to solving crimes, not preventing them.

I have my Arsenal AK47 with a Larue red dot and a 75rd drum as my home security system, although I am probably going to replace that with the wife's AR-15 when I finish upgrading it.

My attached all brick garage has no handles on the doors. Doors are steel with no windows. Man door is hydroformed steel with deadbolt and no window. It is also alarmed (ADT). The only windows on the garage are on the front of the house so you have step into the landscape light beam to get to them. So if you get in...don't wake the dog and get past the IR (heat & motion) detector...you will find my bike is cable pad locked to the 700lb crafstman tool cabinet in front of it and the steering lock is always set. Have fun.

No one ever tried to get in my garage, its my house that has had two attempts. The last time the wife greeted him in the hallway with her Oly Arms CAR 15. He decided he should leave. No problems since.

For me, all that security is too much work and worry. If someone wants to steal my stuff, I'll just call the insurance company and file a claim. There ain't nothin' in my garage that can't be replaced.

I'll still be PO'd but that's why I pay the bean-counters.

I don't own a gun, and don't live in an area where I believe one is needed. But if any of my stuff ever gets stolen, you can be sure i will be shopping for weapons the next day. That stuff really P's me off. Good luck with your prevention efforts.

Last edited:
People that steal are despicable, but do they deserve to be shot? It's one thing to shoot someone who threatens you with physical violence, but it's quite another to shoot a thief.

I know that it can be a deterrence, but you can't shoot all the thieves, otherwise who would we send to Washington?

Remember, Grand Torino?

A man who breaks into a house, like mine, with all the lights on, a car in the drive, and the TV is usually not right to begin with and may be looking for a confrontation.

Lots of home invasions in the area lately. Some are being pistol whipped, stabbed, or raped ontop of being robbed.

So yeah......I am all for the castle doctrine.

I may sound a bit nuts, but I have been violently mugged and shot in my life (separate events). Im not one to take a risk of it happening again. Getting a 223 dug from your hip, and being beaten with a ball bat in the knees will do that to you(he heat me cause I didnt have more money in my wallet). If a guy breaks into my house and makes a move at me, Im going to defend myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back