Which computer is the better bet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm helping someone with a desktop computer purchase and so far have found these two deals going on right now.

Which is the better bet and why?

To me, the eMachines desktop seems like a clear winner due to the dual core Intel, better graphics card, sound card and more memory. I am however a bit skeptical on the EMachines brand based on some user experiences on here.

Can anyone suggest any other better deals? Thanks

Compaq Presario CQ5300F Desktop Computer With AMD Sempron™ LE-1300 Processor $269.99
after mail-in savings at Office Depot.

Manufacturer # AY026AA#ABA
processor brand AMD
processor model Sempron
memory 2 GB
hard drive capacity 320 GB
optical drive DVD±RW/DVD-RAM/DVD±R Double Layer
operating system Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
processor speed 2.3 GHz
frontside bus speed 1600 MHz
memory speed PC2-6400
memory type DDR2 SDRAM
maximum memory capacity 4 GB
network connectivity 10/100 Ethernet
modem 56K V.92
ports 6 USB 2.0; 1 Ethernet; 1 VGA 15-pin D-sub
memory card reader no
video graphics nVidia GeForce 6150 SE graphics with 256MB to 895MB shared memory
audio hardware Integrated audio, 6 speaker configurable
peripherals included keyboard; optical mouse
warranty length 1-year limited
model name Presario CQ5300F
brand name Compaq
manufacturer Compaq
meets U.S. government environmental standards yes
postconsumer recycled content 0 %
total recycled content 0 %

-------------------------------------------------------

eMachines Desktop PC with Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor E2210, 3GB DDR2 (Model ET1810-03R) $299.99 at BJ's

This desktop PC delivers a classic tower design with easy-access front ports. With the power of 2 cores, the Intel Pentium dual-core processor provides multitasking strength, pushing your play and creativity further. The Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system is designed to be reliable, responsive and to make daily tasks easier.

Product Features:

* 2.2GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor E2210 with 1MB L2 cache and 800MHz FSB delivers multitasking power
* 320GB, 7,200rpm hard drive offers plenty of space to store digital media and documents
* 3GB DDR2 memory lets you enjoy quick downloads and fast overall system response
* 18x DVD±R/RW SuperMulti Format Drive conveniently plays movies and reads and writes a variety of formats
* Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 7050 graphics and 7.1-channel high-definition audio support envelop you in the multimedia experience
* Multi-in-1 digital media card reader supports CompactFlash Type I and II, CF+ Microdrive, SD Card, SDHC Card, miniSD Card, MultiMediaCard, xD Picture Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo and SmartMedia (not included)
* 6 high-speed front and rear USB 2.0 ports provide convenient connection of peripheral devices
* 10/100 fast Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 port; 56K ITU V.92-ready fax/modem with RJ-11 port
* NVIDIA GeForce 7050 chipset ensures excellent performance
* Expansion Bays (available): two 3-1/2, one 5-1/4
* Power Supply: 250W
* Includes Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system
* Software: Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Reader, eMachines Recovery Management, Google Toolbar, Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 60-day complimentary trial period, Microsoft Works, Nero 9 Essentials and Norton Internet Security 2009 60-day trial
* Inputs: 6 USB 2.0, 2 PS/2, 1 VGA, 1 microphone, 1 RJ-45 Ethernet, 1 RJ-11 modem
* Outputs: 1 headphone, 6 audio
* Expansion Slots: 2 PCI (1 available), 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16
* Includes computer, PS/2 keyboard and mouse, AC power cord and documentation
* Dimensions: 16.1"l x 7.2"w x 14.5"h (computer)
* Weight: 18 lb. (computer)
* Warranty: 1 year limited with toll-free tech support

(Model ET1810-03R)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What is this computer going to be used for? Hopefully nothing more than web browsing and email checking...

That's exactly what the computer will be used for.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Originally Posted By: brandini
Stay away from Sempron.

Why?

I second the Why?

I am running two machines with single core Sempron 2.2 processors. One with Windows XP and one with FreeBSD 8.0. For a $35 processor, these things fly.

The eMachines has better specs for not much more. While the Sempron is a fine low end processor, the dual core Pentiums will mop the floor with them when it comes to any sort of multimedia.

The extra 1GB of RAM in the eMachines is also going to be nice for 64 bit Windows 7. 4GB is really the sweet spot for 64bit Win 7 but anytime you can get more RAM in there, the more pleasurable the experience will be.

If you are not adverse to refurb stuff, the DELL outlet has many deals in that price range. Most of the Vostro 220s will have Core2Duo or Core2Quad CPUs as well.

http://www.dell.com/outlet

Makes me wonder also. This 5 year old HP laptop I'm on has an AMD Sempron 3200+ processor and does just fine for email and web surfing.
My stepdaughter used it during her nursing school years and gave it to me when she contacted a virus.

I cleaned it up and it runs just fine in my lap while sitting in my recliner! LOL!

What's wrong with 'em folks?

Avoid Emachines! Beware!

There is a nice 279 buck labtop at best buy calling my name, but I still can't get past all the cooked motherboards and other issues I had...

For email and web browsing for the longest time I ran a Pentium 3 750 with 2gig of ram. What's a pentium 3 kids ask, i know. It still worked just fine when I took it out to upgrade just for games.

You can buy refurb business HP computers with fresh copies of winxp for $179 shipped to your door. With other online deals Be careful! Shipping and handling is quite like EBAY gouging, $50.00+, this makes the computer not as good a deal anymore!

Guys. I used to be on the emachines bashing bandwagon. Have any of you really studied the new ones?

In the past they made horrid products, absolute garbage.

In november, my girlfriend bought an acer laptop from best buy for around $300. It had a AMD processor, 160gb hard drive, 3gb ram, dvd burner, and 15.4 inch screen with windows 7.

Over christmas, a friend of mine brought over two new EMACHINE laptops that he got on black friday for his kids (from walmart). He wanted me to take all the junk adware off them, and install some programs.

I think he paid $199 each, but I'm not sure.

Guess what? The Emachine and the acer were the exact same laptop. Same case, same screen, virtually identical specs. I took it closer, and the side of the Emachines box actually says acer all over it.

The emachines that he purchased only came with 2gb of ram instead of 3gb, and a slightly smaller hard drive. Other than that, they were identical. I should have taken pictures.

Both laptops have been decent quality. My only complaint is the layout of the keyboard, and the fact that the power adapter seems a little flimsy.

If acer is indeed building the new emachines desktop machines I would jump all over one. They are fine for folks who just basically want something just to get on the web and play around a little bit. They were never targeted towards super users or anything like that.

I used to work in a computer repair shop about 5 years ago. Everything has changed! The compaqs that we used to get in were garbage, and the emachines were even worse.

I do not know anything about a new compaq computer, I thought the brand was dead actually! I do know that they are affiliated with HP, so take that any way you choose.

The computer is becoming a disposable appliance instead of an investment. I would buy either one, and throw it out in two years, and get another one.

Heck for under 300 dollars with a Windows 7 license, you can't go wrong.

I would watch slickdeals.net or techbargains.com. They sometimes run dell deals that include monitors for 350 or 400 dollars, that might be a better deal if you want a large monitor.

I bought a dell business class desktop with a 23 inch monitor for 440 dollars a year ago.

They are both garbage.

The Intel-based system lacks a key component: An Intel chipset to make it superior.

Find one with an Intel chipset and an Intel CPU and then we'll talk.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
They are both garbage.

The Intel-based system lacks a key component: An Intel chipset to make it superior.

How do you see that it does not have an Intel chip set?

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
They are both garbage.

How do you see that it does not have an Intel chip set?

It clearly states that it has an NVidia chipset.

The best chipset to partner with an Intel CPU is an Intel chipset.

I shy away from anything with an nVidia chipset. Too many goofy things can go awry.

Intel CPU with Intel chipsets are consistently the most stable combination on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back