'01 Jetta - need to replace drain plug every time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For about $10, you can get a magnetic plug with a baggie of 10 replacement crush washers. Or 1.50, you can get an original plug with the integrated washer....OR you can just cut off the existing washer and put a 25 cent replacement on there. Prices from here:

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Jetta/Engine/79/5

Personally, I'm too lazy to get a new one so I just put a thin film of blue RTV on the outside edge of the drain hole and re-use the washer. Has worked for me for the past 30 years or so. :)

Best,

Originally Posted By: hominid7
If it looks something like this then i think maybe the old washer has just been crushed too much.

Yup, that's the one.

As for getting a Fumoto valve, it's not in this car's future. This was probably the last oil change it has gotten from me. It'll be sold this spring or summer. I just need the leak to stop. For now, I tightened it some more, and it appears the seeping has significantly diminished if not stopped altogether. I just hope the next owner will be able to get this bolt off...

Or, get another aftermarket plug from an auto parts store for $2.50 and pick up a few packs of the nice nylon ringed/ribbed gaskets. Don't gorilla tighten them.
Done.

I purchased a new drain plug for my 2000 GTI, with non-removable steel washer, from the VW dealer in 2004. I have been using that plug for over 5 years of oil changes, with no leaking whatsoever. IIRC, the Bentley manual calls for replacing the plug with every oil change.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
The drain plug on these models is manufactured by sintering, and yes, with the washer in place and captive. It's a design I've never seen used elsewhere.

That's strange, I've never heard of such an animal. Doesn't sound like a very good design, but i'm sure they had their reasons.

Maybe the new drain bolt thing is one of the reasons the mfg instills as a "feel good" measure of coming to the dealer for service.

Sounds like a way to sell more parts, and/or keep you going to the dealer for oil changes. There's no reason it should be designed so it needs a new gasket/drain plug every oil change, or every 10 or 50 for that matter. No car I've ever had, or my Dad ever had, or any other car I've changed oil on ever had such a ridiculous set up. Talk about milking the customer's wallets!

Yes, perhaps it's a conspiracy!

It's a normal looking drain plug which happens to have a captive washer. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to change it every time, or have the dealer change the oil.

I bought one once for my TDI and was a just a couple of dollars, hardly more than some brands charge for just the crushable washer.

Its more of an import thing. I have seen honda and volvo use crush washers.

Some people re-use the washer over and over again, but if it is part that the OEM recommends changing every time, then I might spend the 25 cents or whatever.

I'm sure you can get an aftermarket drainplug with a molded gasket for that car.

My GM's and Fords come with the molded gasket style drainplug, and i've never even had to replace one.

I have never changed the washers on the Subaru's I have been driving since 2001. Haven't had any oil leaking issues once.

I have found that with VW products certain items are VERY critical for proper operation especially some of the maintenance items whether new models or even older ones....whether oil filters( Mahle make the OEM item which has a SUPERIOR construction and components such as the anti drain valve).. or crush washers which you simply can't find at any generic parts store...I'd also advise using the OEM style of drain pan bolts .

I have used parts store generic NEW copper crush washers and lo and behold they simply didn't do the job (LEAKS!!!)... The OEM copper crush has a specific softness and thickness that seems an exact match for the bolt and pan....yes I know it's not typical on other makes but when all parts are installed the items perform perfectly...

Last edited:
I just did an oil change on my friend's 07 GTI earlier today.

I reused the plug and double washer once again. I tightened the plug until I could not tighten it anymore with a 1/2" drive ratchet. No leaks at all.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Am I supposed to use a brand new oil drain plug every time the plug is taken out (like during an oil change)?

These engines have a crush washer, but it's not removable from the drain plug itself, so I guess the entire drain plug must be replaced?

I just did an oil change but did not have a new drain plug, so I reused the old one, but I see the oil is now slowly seeping from it, so I guess I'm going to have to take it out, drain the oil again, and put a new plug in...

No need to replace the plug or washer. The washer comes off the plug-at least it does on mine. I just flip the washer each time I change the oil. It's been 6 years and no weeps, seeps or leaks yet with this method.

Originally Posted By: pavelow
Quattro Pete said:
No need to replace the plug or washer. The washer comes off the plug-at least it does on mine. I just flip the washer each time I change the oil. It's been 6 years and no weeps, seeps or leaks yet with this method.

Several years of various VWs of late had drain pan bolts that had the crush washer permenantly attached to the bolt..you can cut them off and use a new one as long as it is the proper softness and diameter usually that will be OEM only.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Originally Posted By: pavelow
Quattro Pete said:

Several years of various VWs of late had drain pan bolts that had the crush washer permenantly attached to the bolt..you can cut them off and use a new one as long as it is the proper softness and diameter usually that will be OEM only.
I don't know about others, but the 01 VW we had and the 04 VW we currently have use a removable washer on the drain plug. It *may* look like it is attached upon plug removal, but all you have to do is pick it off. Either way, it's not a huge deal...either replace it or deal with the minor weeping.

Based on what I'm seeing at an online Audi/VW parts store, the drain plug for a 2001 Jetta 2.0T has the crush washer permanently attached to the drain plug. With that said, they only charge $1.50 for a new plug/gasket. They also sell their own magnetic plug with 10 replaceable copper washers (for about $10.00). I think if I was planning on keeping the car, I'd go for the later option.

Last edited:
my hyundai uses a crush washer also.. the factory one was waaay to flat. I had to work on it with some vice grips carefully to remove it.

the new crush washer I put on came off easily next time I changed it.

dang strong robots at the factory??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back