Harley demand/price curve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here think that the resale price of used Harley's is a bubble about to burst?

Since their sales are down significantly, and the number of used bikes is increasing rapidly, shouldn't the resale price of HDs be going down? And if so, why isn't it?

Every time I look at classifieds I see boodles of Harleys for sale, but none are looking like bargains. Aren't there unemployed riders that are hard-pressed to sell what they can no longer afford or repos? Or are the dealers artificially propping up prices by hording bikes?

Any non-bashing comments?

They are like gold. Plus if you know most Harley riders (and I mean this is a good way) they will get rid of their dog before they will let their Harley be repossessed.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
They are like gold. Plus if you know most Harley riders (and I mean this is a good way) they will get rid of their dog before they will let their Harley be repossessed.

Toyotas used to be like gold, but not anymore, I bet. Things can and do change with supply and demand. When supply increases, then normally demand decreases unless something artificially interferes, like hording.

Think diamonds -- they are not really that rare, but supply is artificially suppressed to increase demand and prices.

Last edited:
I've thought that for years. It's as though they don't depreciate at all. I don't get it.

Around here, a 10 year old bike with 20,000 miles still commands ten grand.

A couple of comments:

1. Harleys retain their value because whether you have a brand new one or 20 year old one you are still riding a Harley. Similar to a Porsche or Mercedes or other strong brand names That said, there are a lot of re-po Harleys out there due to the sub-prime style lending by HD Motor Credit over the past years. Once these bikes are gone the used market prices will actually rise even more again. Currently, Harleys are at their lowest price point for used ones in the past 20 years.

2. The EPA requirements for new fuel injected bikes keep getting more and more stringent and soon HD will no longer be able to meet emission demands with an air cooled engine. When this happens the market value of air cooled Harleys is expected to nearly double.

3. Aside from a a bent frame there is no part you cannot repair or replace on a Harley Davidson motorcycle. So, you can keep one forever or buy a 20 year old one and restore it to new if you desire. However you can buy a new frame if you desire...but it is very costly.

If you shop around, there are some fairly reasonably priced HDs compared to their retail costs. Here's a few examples that I found. However, there are still large numbers asking over-the-top prices.

2009 Harley Davidson Street Bob
Vance & Hines Straight Shot Slip-On Exhaust, 16' Black Apes, Progressive Springs Front and Rear Lowered 2",
New Bedford, Massachusetts Price:$13,500 Details
AD# 6804 Submitted: Mon Jan 25 2010 - Hits:172

Black, 280 miles, showroom new, HD burglar alarm, passenger seat and pegs, 4 year Harley warranty. $11,500
Springfield, New Jersey Price:$11,500 Details
AD# 6283 Submitted: Thu May 14 2009 - Hits:1580

This Dyna Wide Glide comes equipped with bags, but is awesome looking without them as well! Straight 2inch
Middletown, Delaware Price:$10,950 Details
AD# 6442 Submitted: Tue Jul 21 2009 - Hits:1734

2005 harley davidson springer twin cam . 1450 cc, 5 speed, 23000 mi . 15inch gimp hangers made by nash
Hermitage, Tennessee Price:$9,500 Details
AD# 6769 Submitted: Wed Dec 30 2009 - Hits:1070
2005 Harley Davidson1200 Sportster

2005 HD Sportster 1200. Red/creme. Rarely ridden. Windshield, Fork locks
Fullerton, California Price:$5,000 Details
AD# 6749 Submitted: Thu Dec 17 2009 - Hits:788

Black/Silver,4200 miles, 1584cc, 6-speed, Fuel Injection,Factory Alarm, D & D Slip-ons, Quick-release
Pawling, New York Price:$12,495 Details
AD# 6683 Submitted: Tue Nov 03 2009 - Hits:824

Its whatever the traffic will bear, Ive owned 2 sportsters, u will pay for it if u want it bad enough.

Yeah, if you look at the number of hits on those ads it will give you an idea of how popular the bikes are. If you discount your Harley about $1,000 below market value you can always sell it in one week.

Originally Posted By: ZGRider

Toyotas used to be like gold, but not anymore, I bet.

Uh..not really...my used Lexus and Toyota vehicles have brought top dollar at sale or trade in every time (unlike my GM trucks where I lost thousands). Try to buy a used Corolla in excellent condition with less than 60,000 miles. If you find one or two they will be gone in a flash. Lots of beat ones out there but try finding a nice one that is not commanding top dollar. But, I always ask more because I have my maintenence notebook detailing all service since new. People will pay more for a car that has been taken care of.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Its whatever the traffic will bear, Ive owned 2 sportsters, u will pay for it if u want it bad enough.

I traded in my 18 month old Sportster for what I paid for it. I did lose the sales tax.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I've thought that for years. It's as though they don't depreciate at all. I don't get it.

Around here, a 10 year old bike with 20,000 miles still commands ten grand.

You can spend $20k new or 10k used.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

The order of selling things:
1. Furniture
2. car
3. House
4. Kids
5. wife
6. boat motor
7. boat
8. truck
9. Dog
10. Harley

Note: As long as you have your Harley...you can always find a nice girl who has a house, car and some kids. Losing the dog is tough though.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PT1

Uh..not really...my used Lexus and Toyota vehicles have brought top dollar at sale or trade in every time (unlike my GM trucks where I lost thousands). Try to buy a used Corolla in excellent condition with less than 60,000 miles. If you find one or two they will be gone in a flash. Lots of beat ones out there but try finding a nice one that is not commanding top dollar. But, I always ask more because I have my maintenence notebook detailing all service since new. People will pay more for a car that has been taken care of.

Post-sticky throttles? Maybe not...

When we traded in our 1992 (15 year old) Camry with 180,000 miles on it, for a 2007 Camry at the Toyota dealership, they gave us $3000.00 for it. Without a doubt, that was the best car we ever owned. However, my 1996 T-100 is getting up there in age and has been absolutely trouble free. I have a feeling it will be just as good if not better than the '92 Camry.

Yeah, if you look at the number of hits on those ads it will give you an idea of how popular the bikes are. If you discount your Harley about $1,000 below market value you can always sell it in one week.

Uumm...isn't market value what people are willing to pay? Then, how do you know what the market value is until you actually sell it?

Post-sticky throttles? Maybe not...

If you advertise as "Toyota with safe throttle for Sale" you can mark them up another 10%. Or "Pre Dangerous throttle Toyota for sale"

Originally Posted By: boraticus
When we traded in our 1992 (15 year old) Camry with 180,000 miles on it, for a 2007 Camry at the Toyota dealership, they gave us $3000.00 for it. Without a doubt, that was the best car we ever owned. However, my 1996 T-100 is getting up there in age and has been absolutely trouble free. I have a feeling it will be just as good if not better than the '92 Camry.

There is no doubt that the current recalls are going to hurt Toyota resale values, how much is going to be the question...

Uumm...isn't market value what people are willing to pay? Then, how do you know what the market value is until you actually sell it?

You can watch the ebay sales and see the auctions and what they end at. Watch 10-20 of them and average them and you will be really close. Or call a Harley dealer...they will tell you what the national averages are. Not dificult to find that information. Every ebay auction usually has 4-5 bidders and only one guy gets the bike. So there are always buyers. Plus, when I go to a bike night someone usually asks me if I want to sell it. I have 4 names & phone numbers of people who want my bike if I decide to sell.

You could have got more here if the car was in decent shape. My last trade in was a 2004 Lexus RX330 with 160,000 miles and it brought in just under $15,000. We paid $34k new. So, $0.13 per mile cost for that crossover was not bad IMO. Granted it was only 5 years old. But we got 44% of it's original cost with that much mileage.

There is no doubt that the current recalls are going to hurt Toyota resale values, how much is going to be the question...

Depends which models. People who want used Toyotas usually know what they are looking for. My Toyotas are all made in Japan and unaffected by any recalls. Buyers looking for a used GenIV 4Runner will know that. But the general dopey public will be deterred. Our Rav4 is a long term keeper. I will keep it for all the kids to drive until at least 2025. It is the last year of the regular key ignition without the auto-start system. My 4Runner has the regular key but auto starter.

But if I had a recalled one I might be a bit nervous letting my kids drive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back