Top End Cleaner - Honda vs GMC vs Seafoam vs Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hey Guys,

Top End Cleaner - Honda vs GMC vs Seafoam vs Water

Thinking about running a cleaner in my 04 Mazda 60K miles on it .....

Water works wonder but I heard horror stories about winter ... and frozen PCV hoses after treatment ...

Co I guess Seafoam vs GMC vs Honda top end cleaner ...

My car is not taking any oil running alright but I was reading on this forum someone with same car after treatment with water via BrakeBoster was impressed with results.

Thank U for opinions

I've had great results using water sprayed in to air intake on my Cavalier - made a real difference. Plus, it's dirt-cheap!

If you do it during the winter, I'd use hot water, and MAKE SURE the engine is very hot when you do it. After it is finished, take the vehicle for a long, hard drive to make sure there is no water hanging around.....if yu do those threee things, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

how did u sprayed water a mist or stream how much ?

The GM product used to be awesome, the newer stuff not so much though. Seafoam works very good, and I have no expierence with anything Honda except my lawn mower engine

Mopat Combustion Chamber cleaner ... sounds like great product I don't know if I should run it via PCV or Brake Booster line

Originally Posted By: Ndx
how did u sprayed water a mist or stream how much ?

I would also like to know how this is done...how much water...while the car is running...etc...???

A Retired NYC mech told me how they did a water treatment back in the day,I thought he was nuts.From under the hood,on a hot engine,running,rev the heck out of it ,not redline, but close to it and trickle in the water through the open carb throttle plates(thats when we had carbs)blow it out and watch close.Today,find a manifold vacuum port I guess.

Curious about this....so if it is REALLY foggy outside wouldn't this do the same thing as well??!??!
Wait for foggy day and do some high speed highway driving ??!

Last edited:
Try water first.
Then take her out for a good run to evaporate any excess.
If this does not get the results you want, then try water again.

Quote:
The GM product used to be awesome, the newer stuff not so much though.

Agreed. The original GM Top Engine Cleaner was a 100% VOC, not-for-sale-in-California, don't use if pregnant, wear gloves when handling, cancer causing eco-terror. It was also the best [censored] top engine cleaner on the market and would likely strip carbon right out of the periodic table if it was possible.

The new environmentally friendly stuff performs about the same as anything else.

Water is the way to go. Water injection was used on farm tractors in the 1930's. John Deere used this when plowing for more power and to cool the combustion chamber when pulling hard spots in the field. Feeding the water through the throttle body works well for a garage application while revving the engine. Use an old liquid dish soap bottle with the pop up squirt tip to spray onto throttle plate while reving between 2500-3500 rpm. Add water add throttle add water add throttle etc. Then repeat a couple of times. The vacuum line method is for driving down the road at light throttle / light medium throttle (when most vacuum occurs). The road way of doing it requires an orifice in the vacuum line or a small adjustable valve to control water flow, so it is not all used up from the temporary storage container before you can reach hi way speeds at light engine loads. This way is kind of fun. You can slowly feed a gallon of water over a 5 mile or less trip a couple of times, to get the carbon out. I have used both methods of water and the "good" old cleaners you and others have mentioned. B.G. also has an induction cleaning process that works well to. But you would have to pay for that service. Be careful with cleaners. Catalytic converters will glow cherry red to white hot. The sub straight melts and plugs if they get to much chem. built up inside them $$$$$. With water it is really hard to create more problems, except may be a fouled spark plug form carbon bridging a spark plug gap causing a misfire (happens often). Any thing you do should be done on a hot engine.
Good Luck

Last edited:
The old GM stuff down the plug holes overnight is great.Some claim the top engine cleaner from Chrysler is as good or better.I haven't tried it yet but with the original GM getting a bit scarce i will soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back