Valvoline Premium Conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the flip side of all the discussion on M1 and every other synthetic brad out there, lets talk about Valvoline conventional.

Hate it? like it? good uas? clean engines? dirty engines?

I consider it OK oil. I would say given proper conditions and intervals based on those condition your engine would be clean with it.

Used it on practically every car we've owned for the last 5-6 years with no issues. Recently switched to Havoline with no discernible difference.

My mechanic likes it....so do I. Never had an oil related issue with it, but then, I haven't ever really heard of an oil related issue with any other brand.

My family has used it since the 50s'. Tore down my dads 90 Ranger 3.0 in 97 to fix a headgasket and it was extremely clean and the bores still had some crosshatching left. Valvoline 10w30 and Wix ever 3k. My vehicles haven't seen anything but Valvoline. Except the Jeep, she's my little experiment vehicle. 43k on the Galant, 72k on the Stratus, 100k on the Jeep all with Valvoline. Top stuff IMO.

Works as good as any other conv. API SM oil out there.

I use it myself in my 355sbc camaro.

Valvoline is a good company, I remember watching a video on how they used retired Michigan State Police cruisers(4.6 crown vics) to develop there Maxlife line. Don't know how many companies actually formulate there oils based on results in a real world environment.

My previous car called for 20w50 year-round. I experimented with several 20w50's and found that valvoline conventional 20w50 had the best winter performance (no lifter clack on start-up in the cold). It never burned or used any oil at all for the 225,000 miles i owned the car.

For about the last 100,000 miles i used Napa branded valvoline 20w50 dino oil, and it seemed to work the same.

I've also found the other "valvoline" products to work well (pyroil, zerex, etc...).

Valvoline isn't anything special but it isn't bad either. Meets the minimum specs but not the GM4718M that 3 of my cars require. Of course, Valvoline conventional isn't a syn lube so I can't expect it to. It is cheap at Walmart and therefore, I do use it in cars that I store (that don't require GM4718M). No problem wasting $11 bucks to store a car and then dump it when the year is up.

Yeah seems Valvoline is especially strong in the Dino category

I'm pretty impressed by the shear performance of the 5w30

I've also used Valvoline conventional on a number of occassions, and that covers at least five different vehicles during the last 21-22 years. Believe me, I'm a very fussy guy and I can say that it's a great oil from a great company. I speak very highly of their products and that includes their Eagle One and Pyroil product lines.

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back