How old should "new" tires be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I probably should have tuck this into the last post, but here goes.

The set of Cordovans I bought turned out to be made in 2004. I just watched the consumer reports bulletin.

Is this worth taking back to the dealer? I like dealing with these guys, but theyre frusterating sometimes. 6 years old for a new set of tires, is a bit much, Id think.

What do you guys think?

I think 6 years old is a bit too old, to be a "new" set of tires.

I wouldn't be happy about it, and would be doing something about it.... unless you got a very good deal on them.

When I buy new tires, I expect them to be less than a year old. And I expect them to be less than 6 months old for the motorcycle.

I'll check them at break.

Even if theyre okay, wouldnt 6 years be a little old for a tire thats supposed to be new?

I was under the impression that they were going to implement at least as guidance a "use by" date on tires, and the date was 6yrs after manufacture.

If that is the case, youve got old stock, I wouldnt be happy.

6 years is past what most consider to be a reasonable "sell by date". Personally, I would not use them.

Thanks guys, good to have backup.

argg. Its tough. Its one of those things. The guy that owns the shop, is a really nice guy, and a good guy.

Its just getting harder to buy tires from them, because their price on new stuff isn't that great, and then things like this happens.

I know he'll take them back. I don't have any doubt, it just sucks!

I typically refuse new tires that have been manufactured more than 1 year ago. I specifically note it in my order when placing it.

Selling 6-year-old stock as "new" has got to be a joke. I mean, it's OK to sell them, but the seller should inform you of that fact and adjusted the price accordingly. I would still not buy them tough.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
could have been an oversight.

The problem is being dealt with. Theyre really good to deal with.

Ryan: I am usually willing to pay 5-10% more to deal with a good businessman who respects the customer. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: PT1

Ryan: I am usually willing to pay 5-10% more to deal with a good businessman who respects the customer. Just a thought.

Does Sears count?

Yeah, its true. The owner of the shop is a terrific guy. He's one of the few genuinely nice guys left in this town. lol.

We've known them for years, and theyve always treated us right.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: PT1

Does Sears count?

Are you joking? Sears in my experience is [censored] to deal w/ and I will not use them ever again.

To answer the OP, 6 years old is way too old to be sold as new, 1 or 2 years old would be ok.

I recently bought a set of tires for my 98 GMC Sierra. One tire was 1 year old, and the other three were a few months old. The older one looked just fine, so I have no worries about it.

Tires age more slowly in a warehouse out of the sun and surrounded by the gas all the tires are giving off, but...six years is too much. It is entirely possible that tire retailer didn't know what he was getting from the distributor, or got a wholesale "deal" from a distributor, but anyway, too old for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back