International DT-466 vs. International T444e

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard the 466 is the better, longer lasting one. Say, if you were....well....going to buy a used late model 90's school bus ( whih has both engines availiable) which one would you cloose. BTW, the 444's are most common.

They are both very good. The t44E is very reliable and a bit less for labor and parts. The DT466 is manufactured to last longer as the cylinder liners are harder, but both are true industrial engines. IMO whats best for you really depends on what your doing with it. well maintaned the t44E can last over 600,000 miles where I have seen DT's with over 1mil. Though it really depends on how they are driven also.

The DT is 7.6L. Power output difference between the 2 is minimal

Hi,
Troy_Built - The DT466 is a great engine. I first became involved with this engine in International equipment (Scrapers, Loaders etc)in the late 1960s early 1970s. In the early 1980s I specced it for a Fleet of IH trucks used in City and short haul work - again they performed very well indeed. They were very fuel efficient as well and some are still hard at work!!!!

The engine has along and very succesful history and the latest version must be a great tool!

I would rate the DT466 as one of the greatest mid range diesel engines ever built - anywhere and at any price!

I'll cast my vote for the 466. That's what I had in my IH delivery truck when I first started with Pennzoil many years ago. That was one tough truck.

I drive International 4300s with the dt-466. No complaints except when I'm attempting to haul ten 500-square ft pallets of sod.

School buses with a 466 are definately more powerful and easier to drive than one with a 444e. One thing to be aware of is that the 444 is a parent bore block meaning that is does not have any liners in it whereas the 466 does have liners. This makes it more rebuildable but also more prone to failure. I worked at an IH dealership as a mechanic for awhile and saw a lot of 466's that got overheated for any one of various reasons and then the liner o-rings were damaged and started leaking coolant into the crankcase. The DT466e is an electronically controlled engine so, as with anything like that, can be prone to either electronic or mechanical malfuntions. It seems the more complex something is, the more likely it is to have a problem.

The DT 466 is hands down the best MDT engine made EVER in history. Better than the 5.9 and 8.3L Cummins.

The DT360 was a good engine also if you really didn't have anything to do that day. They were very reliable but SLOW...
the 01-07 DT466E's really didn't need to be overheated to eat up the liner O-rings. They just did it then dumped the coolant into the oil. usually with bad results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back