Briggs and Stratton Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try match up filters and expect to pay more for manufacture parts including filters. They don't sell enough to bring the price down. Also after talking with a Toro mechanic reason they recommend using manufacture filters is the one of the cause of engine failure is from after market oil filters being too restrictive causing oil starvation. The oil pump is much weaker versus car engines.

So how does that work, exactly? The larger filter with more media surface area is less restrictive and should be easier on the pump.

Plus, it's all about psi ... 10-12 psi is 10-12 psi whether that is flowing through a 3' sewer pipe or 3/8" fuel line. Volume will be vastly different (of course) but I can't see how the larger filter would be more restrictive ... and we're talking about an extra 4-6 ounces of volume by using a larger filter.

Now, I don't use Pure-One or Mobil 1 oil filters as their high-efficiency media can be too restrictive ... even for some automotive applications. Maybe that's what he's talking about?

I was talking with Xterra owners not too long ago and a few said they could see their oil pressure gauge jump when they switched to a Mobil 1 filter ... and a Honda Prelude parking lot racer who said he blew two off the side of his engine while competing in Solo events. With stories like that, I simply don't see the point.

Oh, and ...

"They don't sell enough to bring the price down."

I'm not buying that. They buy a handful of different filters in batches of THOUSANDS from an outfit like Champion Labs ... probably for less than $1 each. They can't sell them for less than $8 - $10?

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Oh, and ...

"They don't sell enough to bring the price down."

I'm not buying that. They buy a handful of different filters in batches of THOUSANDS from an outfit like Champion Labs ... probably for less than $1 each. They can't sell them for less than $8 - $10?

Most their parts are marked up. And how many mowers are out there compared to vehicles. Also home user tend to buy one filter per year. It not what they buy it for, this business is a monopoly and most manufactures play it that way.

A full size commercial Jacobson Diesel Rough mower will run $80,000. Should be $25000-$35000. How many commercial Jacobson mowers do they sell.

Mamala Bay, I understand economies of scale ... but going from a 100-200% mark-up (typical auto part) to a 800%-1,000% mark-up is a bit much.

They are taking advantage of their loyal customers ... and it rubs me the wrong way.

You don't have that vast amount of diverse customers purchasing those products. Sure they would look to find a cheaper brand and quality also. But if you check other competitors price they tend to be the same over priced. These types of commercial equipment are monopolized like one will not go lower bringing prices down and starting competing against each other. The prices are inflated but that is the nature of this business parts also.

I'd look for after market spec parts especially filters. But also some filters specs aren't available over the counter so your stuck purchasing from the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
So how does that work, exactly? The larger filter with more media surface area is less restrictive and should be easier on the pump.

Plus, it's all about psi ... 10-12 psi is 10-12 psi whether that is flowing through a 3' sewer pipe or 3/8" fuel line. Volume will be vastly different (of course) but I can't see how the larger filter would be more restrictive ... and we're talking about an extra 4-6 ounces of volume by using a larger filter.

Now, I don't use Pure-One or Mobil 1 oil filters as their high-efficiency media can be too restrictive ... even for some automotive applications. Maybe that's what he's talking about?

I was talking with Xterra owners not too long ago and a few said they could see their oil pressure gauge jump when they switched to a Mobil 1 filter ... and a Honda Prelude parking lot racer who said he blew two off the side of his engine while competing in Solo events. With stories like that, I simply don't see the point.

I think the Toro mechanic might have been manipulative himself, I mean stick with dealer parts you know warranty.
What he meant was there is potential engine damage on certain engines reason using after market oil filter that was restrictive causing oil starvation. He also stated the oil pumps are not as strong like vehicle oil pumps.

Wix are recommended by a dealer, try to stay with the specs as what most use rather than manufacture filters.

Found out that most 18-20 HP OPE engines with pressure lube are running 8-10 psi....sound about right? Seems low to me.

Oil filter flow tests: Sus 2000 Oil (5w-30 @ 34* F...brrrr)

Ultraguard 30 psid 10gal/min
Pure-1 30 psid 5.5 g/m
Wix 30 psid 5.4 g/m
Fram 2x 30 psid 4.8 g/m (same as Briggs "Yellow")
Fram Extra 30 psid 4.2 g/m
M-1 30 psid 3.2 g/m
FramT-Guard 30 psid 2.6 g/m

My take is the Pure-1 flows as good as a Briggs yellow oil filter..costs half the price..and is 99.9% efficient.

Comments?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pete591
Found out that most 18-20 HP OPE engines with pressure lube are running 8-10 psi....sound about right?

if your talking engine oil pressure? no,,my INTEK 18.5 is putting out 50psi cold and 30ish warm.

Originally Posted By: daman
Found out that most 18-20 HP OPE engines with pressure lube are running 8-10 psi....sound about right?

if your talking engine oil pressure? no,,my INTEK 18.5 is putting out 50psi cold and 30ish warm.

Interesting..that's a good amount of pressure.

1.) A lot of pressure to move through the very small B&S oil filter?

2.) The pure-1 flows better than a Fram 2x which is a B&S Yellow.

Using the Pure-1 "tall" is not unreasonable with a 10W-30 RP Synthetic?

Last edited:

yea it's good some pressure i was surprised,thats why i went to the over sized P1.

here's my thread/link talking about my gage install and pressures on my tractor.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1578360

I can't find an oil filter on my 10 HP B&S Gen Power 350 on my generator. The great deal I got it for didn't include the manual. I am not finding anything on line.

The B&S website does back the 5W-30 Mobil 1 I put in it.

yea it's good some pressure i was surprised,thats why i went to the over sized P1.

here's my thread/link talking about my gage install and pressures on my tractor.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1578360

Nice set-up..10W-30 and a P-1 which flows very well vs. most frams even...ought be fine.

I would imagine that a big 20HP V-twin might be pushing hard against a tiny Yellow Briggs Filter?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back